Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am puytting a new turbo and stage II injectors in my truck and i pulled the back two injectors first and i have tryed to get the oil out of the cylender with a mighty vac pump and also a quarter inch piece of tubing on a shop vac and dont think i am getting it all any one have any ideas on how to get it out thanks.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
when i did mine i just pulled all 8 injectors and glow plugs. (i was replacleing both) and put the valve cover back on and put 1 bolt back in to hold the v-cover back on and crancked the motor a few times to purge it all out. not sure if thats the way every one else does it but thats the way i did it

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will it matter that I don't have the turbo in

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
if the turbo isnt it when you crank it its gona shoot oil out of where the pedistal bolts the the block. you plug it with a rag and have someone hold it while you crank it so that it dont make a huge mess. jsut a thought.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
I'm surprised you're not getting all the oil out with what you did...how come you think there is more to get? I used a veterinary syringe with 1/4" tubing and no problems. Is it because the oil is cold and too thick. If so, you could dilute it by flushing a little diesel into the cylinder.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put a 1/4 on a shop vac and still pull some oil. I read that more than a tablespoon of oil in the cilinder can hydro the moter. If I put the valve covers back on and turn the moter over should I pull all the injestors and glow plugs?

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
I put a 1/4 on a shop vac and still pull some oil. I read that more than a tablespoon of oil in the cilinder can hydro the moter. If I put the valve covers back on and turn the moter over should I pull all the injestors and glow plugs?
Tablespoon sounds right; if you crank the motor with the injectors out you'll fill the cylinders with diesel unless you pull fuse or something. Maybe someone else will chime in with the answer to that. Cranking with the GPs out would work. I've only done this once so I'm no expert but I think the mighty-vac/shop vac process should be enough...

Copied from Swamp's Diesel's website: http://www.swampsdiesel.com/

"We advise against trying to remove the fluids by cranking the engine with the starter
with injectors or glow plugs removed. The fluid will come out under extreme pressure
and at very high velocity. If this is done, and fuel in the cylinder is expelled up into
the valve train area, and it then drains into the crankcase and mixes with the oil...
...A Mity-Vac hand pump ($60) is the best tool to remove the oil with. However, very
large 60 cc syringes are available from Farm or Veterinary supply stores for under $5.
Used with 12" of 1/4" OD poly tubing on the tip they work just fine.
Lightly oil inside the syringe and the rubber plunger before using."

This is only a portion of their excellent instructions on how to r&r injectors. Click on the link I provided and go to the FAQ section for the whole right-up.
Best,
Jim

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
I just crank her over with the injectors out and pop the new injectors in... never had a prob

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So with my new injectors in and my glow plugs out turn the moter over a couple times and call it good?

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
yea that will more than likely be just fine

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your help I will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so i used the info that is on beans web site to replace the injectors it dose not say anything about the plug on the fule rail or the oil rail so i have pulled all the glow plugs and am now going to try to turn the moter over with the valve covers on and a rag over the turbo pedestal in hopes to get the oil out of the back two cylinders here is the tech info i went off.

1. Start by removing negative battery cables, intercooler pipes, and valve covers.
2. Begin removing the injectors starting with the back two (toward the firewall) on each
side. To remove the injector remove all oil spouts on top of the injector. Then locate the
retaining clip of the injector. This is located in the middle of the injector on the body.
You will notice two 8mm bolts hold the retainer in the cylinder head. Remove the
bottom bolt only. After this is removed you can then unplug the harness from the injector
and slid the retainer upward to clear the top bolt. Remove wiring harness and valve cover
gasket. Place a pry-bar under the retainer and gently pry away from the cylinder head
while still holding the retainer upward. The injector should dislodge from the cylinder
head.
Note: Make sure all old injector that are removed still have the copper washer on the
nozzle. If the washer is missing locate it and remove it from the injector cup. Allow a few
moments for the oil rail and fuel rail to drain into these two cylinders.
3. Remove the other 4 injectors.
4. Put a fresh coat of oil on all the rubber o-rings. Install the new injectors (be careful
that the new copper washers stay on the injector during installation). You will need to
make sure the injectors are seated properly. With a rubber hammer tap of the top of the
injector until it is fully seated. Do not use anything steel to tap the injectors in or damage
to the solenoids will occur. Be sure to hold the retaining clip up as you are tapping them
in to place. You will notice that the sound changes to a thud type of sound when they
have seated. After you install one bank of the injectors check with a straight edge and
make sure they are level and all are seated.
5. Remove the rear two glow plugs (same two toward the firewall) on both sides of the
head. The glow plugs are in the 1 0'clock position as you face the injector. These are
covered by a wire from the harness. Remove the wire and cap to see the top of the glow
plug. Remove them with a 1/4"drive deep well 10mm. If they try to bind against the
rocker arm, screw them back in until you can pull the socket off of the glow plug enough
to get past the rocker arm then unscrew the rest of the way.
6. Replace the valve covers. Put in a couple of valve cover bolts to hold it in place and
keep oil from spraying all over.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
This is what I do... Never had an issue in 10 or 12 injector installs...

Pull the back two, on each side... Wait a few minutes. Then pull the rest and the glow plugs.

Install new injectors, then bump the starter a time or two, then let it turn over for a few seconds... Then finish up...

And do throw the valve covers back on with a bolt or two. It will make a mess if you do not! LOL

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you i will let you know how it turns out it sure sounded like a lot drained in the back two when i pulled them out. i cant wait to get it back together new stage II and new turbo and some custom tunes should make a big differance.

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
This is pretty much what my buddy is planning to do with his '96 with the stage 2's and a turbo with good tunes. Love to hear how it does!

Should run like scalded dog

·
PSN Veteran
255 Posts
i just did injectors and thats what i did and it was fine. not sure about not havin the turbo off though. make sure nothing falls into the engine on the intake or the exhaust side or you will have huge problems

·
PSN Veteran
255 Posts
CSIPSD, It sounds like you know alot about doin injectors. have you run into any problems? i just did mine and after a test drive it started running rough and the died. now i cant get it started. any ideas?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
LOL... I know enough to get myself in trouble...

My guess, you have a cut injector o ring or did not fully seat one of them...

What did you do? New injectors or reman?

Can you check for codes or run any tests?

·
PSN Veteran
255 Posts
i did a DIY kit from rosewood. you think its a possibility that one of the o rings got damaged when i installed them? after the test drive i removed the front galley plugs in the oil rails and found some air. refilled both rails and made sure the res was full. i did an injector buzz test and all selinoids buzzed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts