Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to post this in the 911 since I'm stuck in my driveway; I was supposed to leave with the family for a trip last night (going to Wisconsin dells for a short vacation). So the truck will not start cold, it puffs smoke all day but will not start, will start with a shot of WD40.

After doing some reading I had seen something posed from Sinister Diesel saying if it smokes its a Glow plug problem not a FICM. So I have moved to testing the Glow plug system. Tested all the plugs (new when I did the studs, 5k ago) all tested between .9 - .7 so they look good. So I'm guessing its the GPCM. Truck has 230K on it, its an 05. Guess what Im really looking for verification before buying the GPCM.

Thanks

Edit: Also there are no codes showing when I scanned it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I replaced the GPCM and no dice. Yesterday I had a code for the engine oil temp sensor. I cleared the codes and it didn't come back right away. Well this morning is was back so I unplugged it (Ford cant get one till next week) and it started right up. Has anyone ever heard of that? A bad EOT sensor creating a cold start issue.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
That's a new one on me! I guess it makes sense if I really stop to think about it.....if the ECU can't say that the EOT is within specs, how is it to know if the EOT gets to 260? Sensor no workie must equal truck no workie. I'll definitely be adding this to my list of useful tidbits!! I'm sorry you're the one who had to learn the hard way for us. You're in good company though, because I'm pretty sure that's how a lot of us have learned. lol

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,225 Posts
An EOT problem will not directly cause a no-start. It can affect the operation of the glow plugs though. You have another problem. FICM voltages would be a good place to start, maybe even put a hair dryer on the FICM to warm it up and then try to start.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
You need to check the glow plug harness for power. Resistance tells you nothing other than the amount of opposition to current flow. It says nothing about whether or not the power is actually getting there.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. The problem was the EOT sensor. The po197 code was all I had in a scan. When I could get it started I noticed that the fan clutch stayed engaged the whole time. My part came in from Ford so I installed the new sensor, and it fired right up. Check engine light went off immediately.
Just to be clear, I did replace the the GPCM, however that didn't fix the problem. Hope this helps someone else down the road.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,225 Posts
The GPs are activated by the PCM, the command to the GPCM is over a datalink. The Glow Plug length of operation (up to 120 seconds) depends on oil temp, coolant temp and the BARO reading. Glow plugs are not operated if the oil temperature is above 131 *F (55*C). From the Ford PCED manual. With proper battery power and a good starter, I have not had to wait on the glow plugs at all - even down to 40 degrees. Hasn't gotten much colder than that in S. Tx for quite awhile. 5W40 oil helps too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts