Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a set of factory fog lights off a 2006. I'm trying to hook them up into the factory wiring, but unsure how...

My truck is a 99 7.3. It did not come with fog lights. I think I found the connector for them, however. In the picture, on top of the bumper mount, there is a pug with two wires going to it. Not sure the heck the silver grommet thing is though.

Assuming this is the factory wiring for fog lights (need confirmation from someone), where does this wiring go? I followed it to a massive wiring harness that leads to who knows where.

My plan is to try to use the factory wiring as much as possible to keep a clean look. I have a toggle switch I will be using to supply on/off power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure of the years, but see if your headlight switch pulls out. That's the factory switch for factory fogs. If it does pull out, check those wires for 12v when the switch is on. You may also have to add a fuse to make it work. (look in the fuse location guide in the owners manual to see where the fog light circuit would be)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I got a set of factory fog lights off a 2006. I'm trying to hook them up into the factory wiring, but unsure how...

My plan is to try to use the factory wiring as much as possible to keep a clean look. I have a toggle switch I will be using to supply on/off power.
You might start here.. These are the two connectors on the light switch.. The YE wire, Circuit 275 is the Fog Lamp control relay. You will either have to figure out the circuit using the relay or just run wire from the light switch to the fog lights...

I have a working light switch that has the fog light control, see attached LightSwitch.pdf.. I will sell it for 20 plus shipping. I replaced this one while trouble shooting a short in my headlights that turned out to be the Multi Function Switch.

If this were my project I would start with the correct switch and go from the fog light lead from the switch to the correct relay and out to the Fogs.

BTW, that pigtail in your pic looks like some sort of sensor that has come out or was removed... It does not look anything like my factory fog light wiring.

Let us know which way you want to go and I might be able to dig up more references to wiring diagrams

Attachments

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
That sensor goes in the header panel behind the grill.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Cut all the plastic tabs off, they were made for the corner of the bumper. Used a C channel and drilled the lights into it.

Installed.

Here is my headlight switch. Doesn't pull out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might start here.. These are the two connectors on the light switch.. The YE wire, Circuit 275 is the Fog Lamp control relay. You will either have to figure out the circuit using the relay or just run wire from the light switch to the fog lights...

I have a working light switch that has the fog light control, see attached LightSwitch.pdf.. I will sell it for 20 plus shipping. I replaced this one while trouble shooting a short in my headlights that turned out to be the Multi Function Switch.

If this were my project I would start with the correct switch and go from the fog light lead from the switch to the correct relay and out to the Fogs.

BTW, that pigtail in your pic looks like some sort of sensor that has come out or was removed... It does not look anything like my factory fog light wiring.

Let us know which way you want to go and I might be able to dig up more references to wiring diagrams

This has helped a lot. Thank you.

I don't think I could pick up a proper switch. However, if I ran a fused wire from a toggle to pin five in the 275 wiring, that should work, right? I would have to check to make sure there is a relay of course. Speaking of which, where would this relay be located?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The light switch will only pull out (turn on fog lights) when in the on position. I will not pull out in park light position.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The light switch will only pull out (turn on fog lights) when in the on position. I will not pull out in park light position.

Didn't know that. Just went out and check, my headlight switch does pull out. Just need to figure out if the wire i found is a sensor or fog light wire now. I'll check voltage a little later.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Didn't know that. Just went out and check, my headlight switch does pull out. Just need to figure out if the wire i found is a sensor or fog light wire now. I'll check voltage a little later.
That sensor/pigtail in your initial post is definitely NOT the fog lamps.. There are two connectors for the fog lamps.

Do this. In the cab of the truck turn on the low beams and pull out the fog lamp switch and measure the voltage across pin 275 YE wire and ground. If you have greater than 10 volts you are good to move on to the Central Junction Box/Fuse box. If you have nothing at that pin then you don't have fog lamp wiring. Pin 275 is Circuit 270 and runs to the fuse box, from there it runs out on Circuit 478 pin 2 TN/OG wire to pin 1 Circuit 57 which is the fog lamp connectors.

The fog lamp fuse is Fuse 43 in my truck.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Cut all the plastic tabs off, they were made for the corner of the bumper. Used a C channel and drilled the lights into it.
With the mounts you created can you adjust the lights up and down? You might have used the Fog Light mounts for the 99.5 to 04 bumper, they should have just bolted in.. I have a set of mounts for your year truck that you could have for 20 plus shipping.. I did an 05 FE conversion a while back and have some left overs.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Believe that was the ambiant air temp sensor you snached down..
Just hangs out behind the grill iirc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts