Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so yes, I'm a girl 👩‍🔧, and yes I do most of the work on my 02 F350 7.3 with 206k miles. I'm irritated as hell🤬, and can not figure this one out!!!

Driving home the other day, lost everything, no power, nothing (🍀lucky enough to coast into the driveway though :)). Figured it was the alternator, popped a new one in. Batteries were also fried, put in 2 brand new Motorcraft batteries as well.

Now I have a brand new alternator, and 2 brand new batteries. Drove the truck about 60 miles, got home, went to back truck in to the spot I park him, he died! No power, nothing, won't turn over!

Jumped the truck, with the truck running, I should have power coming from the post on the alternator, going back to the batteries to charge them. However, NOTHING! I can't find a blown fuse, I can't find anything that would indicate why the alternator is not generating power while the truck is running.

I'm now back to having dead batteries.

Love my truck🥰, he's my big pig!! Need help!!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Welcome! You are in good company as there are several ladies here on the PSN forum who like to fix their trucks. First thing to check with the truck off... is there voltage on the main alternator post? If no, then you have a blown fuse between the batteries and alternator (either a fusible link or a 2-300 amp maxi fuse). Other possibility, while driving was the alternator charge light on? I would hazard it wasn't. Pull the dash apart and test the light - it may be burned out and I have read other posts wherein when this happens the alternator does not charge the batteries.

Cj

Reactions: DieseManiac

·
Administrator
8,462 Posts
welcome. as said, check for blown fuse or burned fusible link.
my bet is going to be the fusible link for the alternator to battery circuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, checked all the fuses, they are all fine. Have more time tomorrow to check the fusable link.

I would assume, follow the cable from the alternator to the battery, and the link will be somewhere in-between? Is it closest to the alternator or the battery?

·
Administrator
8,462 Posts
correct.
here is a copy post from another forum, the this truck is an 03 F350 with 7.3 diesel:
It is at the end of the black and orange wire which runs from the back of the alternator to the battery. Mine has the FL at the battery end and it's covered by a piece of black shrink tube making it look like part of the wiring insulation. It would appear as if the wire and link are replaced as one piece, they are fused together, shrunk wrapped at the ends, then shrunk wrapped again over the link. It's a grey double wire 12 ga. link.

·
Registered
332 Posts
On the 2002 trucks there is a small plastic junction box on the driver's side fender liner under the hood. Power from the battery comes into one side and the fusible links leave out the other side and head to the fuse box in the cab. The connection is made with a single bolt and nut and after so many years this connection gets corroded and fails, intermittently at first. When it fails the symptoms are exactly as you described. Take a look there and I'll bet that's your problem. You can take it all apart and clean it up and re-assemble. If the eyes are rotted away just cut them off and cut back to clean wire, bolt them all together with an electrician's split bolt and wrap it good with some Scotch 33.

Reactions: tjctransport

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
💃This is me, doing my happy dance!!! 💃 Big Pig is back up, running and on the road!!! WOOT WOOT!! Thank you so much guys!! This was a very trying situation!!

It was the fusible link, about 5 inches from the battery clamp, attached to the two gray wires. The whole thing was shrink wrapped, which made it hard to see. The great thing about this, I learned so much!! I didn't realize, with out that link, the circuit would not be completed and absolutely nothing would work! I now have power back to everything!! Truck fires up, everything's great!

This was actually a really easy fix, wish I would have known about this type of link, I've had my diesel since 08, have never heard of this before. (luck??) My 17 Mustang obviously doesn't have one of these!! I really thought that I had messed something up in the wiring harnesses when I replaced the HPOP oil line o-rings. I was cleaning oil out of everything, moving wires everywhere!

Thank you all for the help!! I feel like I'm in great company!! Chat Soon, HAVE AN AWESOME DAY!!!

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Glad that you have it taken care of.

On your mustang you better look again. I am sure that it also will have fusible links in the wiring harness. And as you described it looks like a heat shrinked splice on a wire for some. But I have seen them where it just looks like a standard wire and is a bear to find when it blows.

Reactions: 680 Puller

·
PSN intsigator
6,839 Posts
Glad you got her fixed, and thanks for posting the find so others can see it also

Reactions: XJ4Life

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was following this thread to learn something new, which I did. So thanks for that and thanks for posting the follow up!

Sent from my SM-J510MN using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,462 Posts
good deal!!!

oh, and by the way, your mustang DOES have fusible links in it.
all vehicles made in the past 40 years or so have them to protect the electrical system

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
💃This is me, doing my happy dance!!! 💃 Big Pig is back up, running and on the road!!! WOOT WOOT!! Thank you so much guys!! This was a very trying situation!!

It was the fusible link, about 5 inches from the battery clamp, attached to the two gray wires. The whole thing was shrink wrapped, which made it hard to see. The great thing about this, I learned so much!! I didn't realize, with out that link, the circuit would not be completed and absolutely nothing would work! I now have power back to everything!! Truck fires up, everything's great!

This was actually a really easy fix, wish I would have known about this type of link, I've had my diesel since 08, have never heard of this before. (luck??) My 17 Mustang obviously doesn't have one of these!! I really thought that I had messed something up in the wiring harnesses when I replaced the HPOP oil line o-rings. I was cleaning oil out of everything, moving wires everywhere!

Thank you all for the help!! I feel like I'm in great company!! Chat Soon, HAVE AN AWESOME DAY!!!
Good news! 🤙

I have a 99 7.3L L99 - 2002 are supposed to be identical. If you need anything about yours, PM me. I have all the manuals.

Here is your charging diagram.

·
Registered
5 Posts

If I'd been here sooner I would have suggested going to this fuse link from the bat on the pass side To the starter relay first. This is the main power feed. That's that one that feeds the whole shebang aside from the fat lead to the starter which deosn't do anything beyond supply starter drive current. If that one goes you have a fire with melted batteries. Your Stang for sure does have a fuse link somewhere under there, just look for it! The prob with these links is a sleeper, it happens from flexing usually or corrosion creeping up the wire from the battery. Or it's possible the Alt was failing and took it out. Have seen that happen before. Another possible trouble issue can stem from the glow plug circuit, if one or more of the plugs shorts out the draw can be enough to take out the fuse. I would check to see how much power they are using and be sure to check the air heater in the Y from the turbo to the heads if you truck has this. Thing is it went bad and you are not sure the problem is completely gone ? Don't leave it at that and take a chance of it happening again. Find a reason for the fuse link to burn and fix it. But since you already have a new alternator, that possible cause is out of the pic. It's also not unheard of for a battery to short out internally which is also now gone with new batteries.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts