Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so this may be a long story but I am in desperate need of help.

We have 2 powerstrokes right now that both have issues. We started with a 7.3 that worked great but the issues got to be so much we figured we would buy a newer one. We got a 2006 f350 for what seemed like a deal. Worked flawlessly for almost exactly 1 year. We did regular maintenance and oil changes, fuel filter changes and such but nothing big. Then all the sudden it started smoking a bit, then more, then more. Then it started "knocking" but not like a rod knock. From what I've found I think it was an injector knock, and the color of the smoke would make me think that that is correct. Smoke is a dark grey to black and leaves a ton of soot on the ground. It was definitely over fueling and causing the smoke. At least I'm pretty sure. I pulled the egr sensor and it was sooty, but it seemed to move and seal so I cleaned it all up and put it back in. Didn't seem to make a difference. It's our work truck and we needed it so we drove it a few times when we probably shouldn't have. The smoking got worse until we ended up at a crank no start situation. Ended up getting a bluetooth scanner and torque pro to figure some things out. When doing that I found the icp sensor was bad. I unplugged it and the truck started right up, ran rough, smoked more than ever, then killed. I figured I might try to do a buzz test with car gauge pro but lo and behold it won't connect. Ordered another Bluetooth OBDII dongle Figuring my cheap one probably didn't cut it. Just got the new one and plugged it in and still CGP won't connect. But torque works fine. In CGP it will say device disconnected when trying to connect and load the ford pids. Now, I'm getting pissed at this point lol, I try connecting any way I can and nothing unless I tell it to not scan. But when I do that it doesn't load the stuff so you can do a buzz test. I've seen people do buzz tests on YouTube with CGP. Most of them are on the 7.3, but a few on the 6.0. However, on one of the reviews for the app someone said they couldn't connect to the 6.0 and the maker replied by saying it doesn't support all makes and models. So now I'm confused and mad. I go to my dad 96 grand caravan and CGP connects right away with no issues. Both torque(with Bluetooth dongle) and my Innova scanner will both connect fine to the truck and read codes, and torque will run in real time. I checked everything on the FICM with torque and everything was within parameters. That makes me think it's an injector, or multiple, causing this over fueling but it's like I can't catch a break with these damn scanners/apps. I do not have the funds to buy a more expensive scanner, nor take the truck anywhere as when it does run it makes a James bond esce smoke screen behind me.

I saw on another thread it could be one node causing communication issues maybe? But from what I have read that would mean it just flat out wouldn't connect or read codes, which is not the case.

Also, I've been working on diagnosing this damn thing for well over 5 months at this point, so if I've forgotten to mention something I've done, that's why. But I need some advice at this point.

I'm pretty sure it's one or more injector (which sucks $ wise) because I did the bubble test into the secondary fuel filter reservoir and saw bubbles under cranking with the fuel pump fuse pulled out. But I want to know which one so I don't have to blindly put in injectors.

Also, after trying to connect with Bluetooth crap for so long and having the key on I think the cylinder might be filled with fuel now. But I'm unsure. But now it won't even crank over, even with the battery charger on. It's like it's hydro locked which has me worried.

Please and thank you for the help. That's pretty much everything I can remember currently, but I know I've probably forgotten something.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,163 Posts
If it weren't hydrolocked, you could isolate the fuel to one of the heads and then repeat the bubble test. Once you identify which side, you can pull glow plugs one-at-a-time to see if the bubbles stop.

If you are convinced it is hydrolocked, then pull the glow plugs and turn it by hand. See which cylinder the fuel (or coolant) comes out of.

Torque Pro is ok, but the ForScan App is more thorough at reading codes.

Highly recommended to install a fuel pressure sensor and gauge. Low fuel pressure easily damages injectors. Lots of threads on the options.

I bet Car Gauge Pro isn't compatible with your OBDII adapter. I hear they are finicky. I did read that CGP will work w/ BAFX adapters. I have two of those adapters (one WiFi and one Bluetooth) and Torque Pro and ForScan work with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I would believe you about it not being comparable with my Bluetooth dongle if I had only bought the one cheap one. The second one I got was after watching a guy use the exact one for this purpose on a 6.0 on YouTube. And the fact that it worked with CGP on a different vehicle.

As for low fuel pressure... What I'm thinking is happening is that the crush washers on the injector cracked and it's getting too much fuel. Not too little. Wouldn't the grey /black smoke be indicative of over fueling?

The hydro lock thing is based off of another thread I read where when your engine doesn't spin over nice and even, or sounds like it might have a dead hole, you're losing compression through the injector. Which means when you leave the key on it will allow excess fuel into the cylinder when you're just sitting there KOEO. But I'm by no means an experienced diesel mechanic, just an experienced gas mechanic haha.

But I need help haha.

To get to the glow plugs don't you basically have to get down as far as the injectors? I.e. Removing all the top end stuff and valve covers and possibly even the oil lines? I was hoping I could isolate what cylinder it was before going that far for less overall work. Maybe I can't do that, I'm just wondering.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,163 Posts
So you know that the other vehicle and the Ford diesel operate on the same communication protocol?

CAN compatible OBDII? I doubt a 96 Caravan operates on that protocol.

When an injector fails (and it is most commonly due to low fuel pressure) it can dump a lot of fuel - even if the fuel pressure is 40 psig instead of 50. Anything below 45 psig and the injector will eventually fail due to lack of "cushion" (for lack of a better word) for the injector plunger/piston.

You can pull the glow plugs without removing anything on top.

It is easier if you remove the wheel well liners (especially on the passenger side), but you don't even have to do that.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,163 Posts
Personally I wouldn't do any more cranking if you suspect a hydrolock (until the glow plugs are out and you have identified the problem cylinder). You can do some damage that way.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,163 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much, the video is very informative. His videos are basically all I've been watching through all of this. I actually got the same bluetooth adapter that he used in one video, that's why I'm confused as to why it's not talking to the truck. I'm gonna look at it a little today but don't have much time so it may be a next week project. But I'll post again when I figure some more out.

Thanks again.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,163 Posts
Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we got a different adapter. We got a wired unit to go to my laptop and got forscan. I have never used a program like this before. I ended up doing an injector buzz test and it checked fine for that. What else can /should I do with this application to trouble shoot?

Again, many thanks

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,163 Posts
Was it hydrolocked or not?

Did you pull any codes w/ ForScan?

The buzz test is really only for testing the injector spool valves and FICM operation. I don't think those are your issues - especially since you see bubbles in the fuel from the "bubble test".

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
That reminds me, I pulled up the differences in networks between a 03 and 04 6.0. Then I forgot and left them in my box.

Didn't look to see if they were different or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the late reply, been doing holiday things this week and it got crazy. I'm setting up to work on it today so I should be able to post more info later today /tonight

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried to attach the text document that forscan makes when you save a scan but I could not get it to attach so I copied and pasted the log from the scan. I have not determined if it is hydro-locked yet, but will be looking into taking the glow plugs off of one bank and seeing if that is the problem.

here is the log

(WARN) [15:09:00.689] Checking FTDI #1:12345678...
(OK) [15:09:02.554] Connection to adapter has been established: FTDI #1:12345678
(OK) [15:09:02.555] Adapter: ELM327 v1.4
(OK) [15:09:02.842] Connection to vehicle has been established
(OK) [15:09:06.513] Vehicle: Ford F-Series Super Duty Direct Injection - Turbo 6.0L 2005 ( 2005 MY ), VIN: 1FD*********32123
(OK) [15:09:07.896] Found module: TCM - Transmission Control Module
(OK) [15:09:07.943] Found module: PCM - Powertrain Control Module
(WARN) [15:09:08.114] DTCs in PCM: P0069-E0, P0113-E0, P0231-E0, P0275-60, P0299-60, P0336-60, P0341-60, P0500-60, P0672-E0, P0674-E0, P1000-60, P1102-E0, P2285-E0, P2614-E0, P2617-E0
(OK) [15:09:08.220] Found module: OBDII - On Board Diagnostic II
(WARN) [15:09:08.634] DTCs in OBDII: P0069-C, P0113-C, P0231-C, P0299-P, P0336-P, P0341-P, P0672-C, P0674-C
(OK) [15:09:08.636] Found module: ABS - Antilock braking system
(OK) [15:09:08.694] Found module: TBC - Trailer Brake Control Module
(WARN) [15:09:08.758] DTCs in TBC: C2800-E0
(OK) [15:09:08.759] Found module: IC - Instrument Cluster
(WARN) [15:09:08.879] DTCs in IC: B1352-60, U2013-60, U1900-20, B1360-20
(OK) [15:09:08.880] Found module: RCM - Restraint Control Module
(OK) [15:09:09.480] Found module: GEM - Generic Electronic Module
(WARN) [15:09:09.871] DTCs in GEM: P1876, P1832, B1359, B1483
(ERR) [16:02:38.366] No ELM found. Please check connection and try again

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Several of those codes are from when either I unplugged the icp sensor and it threw a code for that. Then replaced said sensor. And one for the fuel pump secondary circuit because I pulled the fuse at one point to leave the KOEO. I haven't cleared the codes yet because I'm still not sure what I'm dealing with yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
*update *

I noticed the battery was hella low so I charged it. I also looked for wet spots on the exhaust manifold and didn't see any wetness from fuel getting through like diesel tech ron said in one video. After letting it charge I bumped the starter and it spun right away. So I started it and it fired right up. Sounded OK, but still smoking. I ran every test that forscan has and here are the following test logs.

Again, I'm just copy and pasting it so I'm sorry about that lol.

(OK) [15:09:56.748] KOEO Injector Electrical Self Test has been started
(OK) [15:10:34.492] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [14:18:09.101] Key On Engine Running On Demand Self-Test has been started
(WARN) [14:18:14.695] Test completed, found DTCs: P1780
(OK) [14:18:45.078] Key On Engine Running On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [14:18:48.143] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [14:19:02.395] Key On Engine Running On Demand Self-Test has been started
(WARN) [14:19:05.605] Test completed, found DTCs: P0113, P1000, P1102, P1408
(ERR) [14:21:00.620] On Demand Self-Test has been cancelled by operator
(OK) [14:21:12.934] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [14:21:17.780] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [14:21:26.908] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(WARN) [14:21:41.392] Test completed, found DTCs: U2013, B1352, B1209
(OK) [14:22:01.446] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [14:22:05.526] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [14:22:18.092] Read system monitor status has been started
(WARN) [14:22:18.137] Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Status: On
(OK) [14:22:18.138] Misfire monitoring: Complete
(WARN) [14:22:18.138] Fuel system monitoring: Not supported
(OK) [14:22:18.138] Comprehensive component monitoring: Complete
(WARN) [14:22:18.140] Catalyst monitoring : Not supported
(WARN) [14:22:18.141] Heated catalyst monitoring : Not supported
(WARN) [14:22:18.141] Evaporative system monitoring: Not supported
(WARN) [14:22:18.141] Secondary air system monitoring: Not supported
(WARN) [14:22:18.142] A/C system refrigerant monitoring: Not supported
(WARN) [14:22:18.143] Oxygen sensor monitoring: Not supported
(WARN) [14:22:18.143] Oxygen sensor heater monitoring: Not supported
(WARN) [14:22:18.143] EGR system monitoring: Incomplete
(OK) [14:22:21.666] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [14:22:32.545] Key On Engine Running On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [14:22:35.634] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [14:22:53.891] KOER Glow Plug Monitoring Self Test has been started
(WARN) [14:23:09.620] Test completed, found DTCs: P0672
(OK) [14:23:28.494] Key On Engine Running On Demand Self-Test has been started
(WARN) [14:23:31.593] Test completed, found DTCs: P0113, P0672, P1000, P1102, P1408
(OK) [14:28:50.068] Key On Engine Off On Demand Self-Test has been started
(WARN) [14:29:00.509] Test completed, found DTCs: P0113, P0672, P1000
(OK) [14:29:16.531] KOEO Injector Electrical Self Test has been started
(OK) [14:29:54.284] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [14:30:05.378] Key On Engine Off On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [14:30:16.077] Test completed successfully, no errors found

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And lastly, the logs for all DTC's

===TCM DTC None===
Successful DTC reading, no error codes found
Module: Transmission Control Module
===END TCM DTC None===
===PCM DTC P0069-E0===
Code: P0069 - MAP - Barometric Pressure Correlation
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC
Module: Powertrain Control Module
===END PCM DTC P0069-E0===
===PCM DTC P0113-E0===
Code: P0113 - IAT Sensor Circuit High Input
Diagnostic Trouble Code details
IAT Sensor Circuit High Input
This DTC may be caused by :
Open Circuit
Signal shorted to VBATT or vref.
Sensor Previously disconnected.
Faulty Sensor
Faulty or damaged PCM.
Extreme low ambient temperature.
Improper connection
Incorrect VREF.
SIGRTN open circuit
===END PCM DTC P0113-E0===
===PCM DTC P0231-E0===
Code: P0231 - Fuel pump secondary circuit Low
===END PCM DTC P0231-E0===
===PCM DTC P0275-60===
Code: P0275 - Cylinder #5 Contribution/Balance
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
Cylinder 5 contribution/balance fault.
--Possible Causes--
- Broken compression ring.
- Inoperative injector assembly.
- Leaking or bent valves.
- Bent push rod.
- Broken rocker arm bolts.
- Bent connecting rod.
Note: Make sure A/C or Defrost is off during Cylinder Contribution Test.
===END PCM DTC P0275-60===
===PCM DTC P0299-60===
Code: P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Underboost
Turbocharger/Supercharger Underboost
Exhaust Pressure Sensor A Circuit
VGTContValve$I
===END PCM DTC P0299-60===
===PCM DTC P0336-60===
Code: P0336 - CKP Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
CKP Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
CKP sensor incorrect signal
Possible causes are:
An erratic or intermittent sensor signal may be caused by a fault in the sensor, PCM, or electro-mechanical interference from another subsystem such as the ignition system, charging system, etc.
Inspect connectors for signs of damage, water ingress, corrosion, etc.
If the CKP sensor is serviced, reset PCM KAM to clear previously learned pulse wheel profile values.
===END PCM DTC P0336-60===
===PCM DTC P0341-60===
Code: P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor)
Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor)
Open circuit.
Short Circuit
Possible causes are:
Harness wiring
CMP sensor
PCM
===END PCM DTC P0341-60===
===PCM DTC P0500-60===
Code: P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor A
Vehicle Speed Sensor A
Open circuit.
Short circuit
Possible causes are:
VSS sensor / wiring
PCM
===END PCM DTC P0500-60===
===PCM DTC P0672-E0===
Code: P0672 - Cylinder No. 2 - Glow Plug Circuit
Cylinder No. 2 - Glow Plug Circuit
Open circuit.
Short circuit
Possible causes are:
Glowplug control circuit
Glow plug cylinder 2
GPCM
===END PCM DTC P0672-E0===
===PCM DTC P0674-E0===
Code: P0674 - Cylinder No. 4 - Glow Plug Circuit
Cylinder No. 4 - Glow Plug Circuit
Open circuit.
Short circuit
Possible causes are:
Glowplug control circuit
Glow plug cylinder 4
GPCM
===END PCM DTC P0674-E0===
===PCM DTC P1000-60===
Code: P1000 - On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Systems Readiness Test Not Complete
Check of all systems is not complete since last memory clear.
--Possible Causes--
- The vehicle is new from the factory and has not yet been through a complete OBD Drive Cycle.
- The battery or PCM has been disconnected.
- An OBD monitor failure had occurred prior to completion of an OBD Drive Cycle.
- The PCM DTCs have been cleared as part of a service process.
Note: The only way P1000 can be cleared (removed) from memory is when all of the OBD monitors have been successfully completed during normal vehicle operation.
P1000 cannot be cleared from the PCM when: 1. The thermostat is stuck open and a DTC is not generated. 2. There is an open VSS circuit and a DTC is not generated. 3. If the vehicle has a Power Take Off (PTO), the circuit is shorted to VPWR or B+, or the PTO is ON during Self-test.
The purpose of the Diagnostic Trouble Code DTC P1000 is to indicate that not all of the On Board Diagnostics OBD monitors have yet been successfully completed. You may also refer to the OBD Drive Cycle defined under the Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnosis Manual-Diagnostic Methods or the Owner's Manual.
Remember: It is not necessary to remove P1000 from the Powertrain Control Module PCM by driving the vehicle.
===END PCM DTC P1000-60===
===PCM DTC P1102-E0===
Code: P1102 - MAF sensor voltage indicates a lower air flow than expected.
MAF sensor voltage indicates a lower air flow than expected.
Suspect PCM.
Short at MAF sensor signal or MAF sensor signal return.
Open at MAF sensor signal SIGRTN power or ground.
===END PCM DTC P1102-E0===
===PCM DTC P2285-E0===
Code: P2285 - Injection Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
Injection Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
Open circuit.
Short to Ground
Possible causes are:
Harness wiring
ICP Sensor
PCM
===END PCM DTC P2285-E0===
===PCM DTC P2614-E0===
Code: P2614 - Camshaft Position Output Circuit / Open
Camshaft Position Output Circuit / Open
Open circuit.
Short circuit
Possible causes are:
Harness wiring
FICM
PCM
(Note: If DTC P0148 is set along with P2614 or P2617, do not attempt to diagnose the CMP or CKP circuits or replace components. P0148 strategy may trigger these DTCs. Clear codes and address P0148.)
===END PCM DTC P2614-E0===
===PCM DTC P2617-E0===
Code: P2617 - Crankshaft Position Output Circuit / Open
Crankshaft Position Output Circuit / Open
Open circuit.
Short circuit
Possible causes are:
Harness wiring
FICM
PCM
(Note: If DTC P0148 is set along with P2614 or P2617, do not attempt to diagnose the CMP or CKP circuits or replace components. P0148 strategy may trigger these DTCs. Clear codes and address P0148.)
===END PCM DTC P2617-E0===
===OBDII DTC P0069-C===
Code: P0069 - MAP - Barometric Pressure Correlation
- Confirmed - malfunction is confirmed
Module: On Board Diagnostic II
===END OBDII DTC P0069-C===
===OBDII DTC P0113-C===
Code: P0113 - IAT Sensor Circuit High Input
IAT Sensor Circuit High Input
Open Circuit
Signal shorted to VBATT or vref.
Sensor Previously disconnected.
Faulty Sensor
Faulty or damaged PCM.
Extreme low ambient temperature.
Improper connection
Incorrect VREF.
SIGRTN open circuit
===END OBDII DTC P0113-C===
===OBDII DTC P0231-C===
Code: P0231 - Fuel pump secondary circuit Low
===END OBDII DTC P0231-C===
===OBDII DTC P0299-P===
Code: P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Underboost
- Pending - malfunction is expected to be confirmed
Turbocharger/Supercharger Underboost
Exhaust Pressure Sensor A Circuit
VGTContValve$I
===END OBDII DTC P0299-P===
===OBDII DTC P0336-P===
Code: P0336 - CKP Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
CKP Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
CKP sensor incorrect signal
Possible causes are:
An erratic or intermittent sensor signal may be caused by a fault in the sensor, PCM, or electro-mechanical interference from another subsystem such as the ignition system, charging system, etc.
If the CKP sensor is serviced, reset PCM KAM to clear previously learned pulse wheel profile values.
===END OBDII DTC P0336-P===
===OBDII DTC P0341-P===
Code: P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor)
Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor)
Open circuit.
Short Circuit
Possible causes are:
Harness wiring
CMP sensor
PCM
===END OBDII DTC P0341-P===
===OBDII DTC P0672-C===
Code: P0672 - Cylinder No. 2 - Glow Plug Circuit
Cylinder No. 2 - Glow Plug Circuit
Open circuit.
Short circuit
Possible causes are:
Glowplug control circuit
Glow plug cylinder 2
GPCM
===END OBDII DTC P0672-C===
===OBDII DTC P0674-C===
Code: P0674 - Cylinder No. 4 - Glow Plug Circuit
Cylinder No. 4 - Glow Plug Circuit
Open circuit.
Short circuit
Possible causes are:
Glowplug control circuit
Glow plug cylinder 4
GPCM
===END OBDII DTC P0674-C===
===ABS DTC None===
Module: Antilock braking system
===END ABS DTC None===
===TBC DTC C2800-E0===
Code: C2800 - Brake Pressure Transducer Sense Circuit Open
Module: Trailer Brake Control Module
===END TBC DTC C2800-E0===
===IC DTC B1352-60===
Code: B1352 - Ignition key in circuit fault
Module: Instrument Cluster
Ignition key in circuit fault
===END IC DTC B1352-60===
===IC DTC U2013-60===
Code: U2013 - The compass module is not responding.
The compass module is not responding.
Operator Action
Run self test.
All CMDTCs
Fix all relevant DTCs then clear codes and retest.
Note:
DTCs that start with 'U' are faults which occur during module-to-module communication.
Modules should never be replaced based only on a 'U' code. These codes do not always indicate a problem, and can be caused by normal diagnostic functions, carried out on the vehicle.
===END IC DTC U2013-60===
===IC DTC U1900-20===
Code: U1900 - CAN Communication Bus Fault - Receive Error
- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
CAN Communication Bus Fault - Receive Error
Note:
DTCs that start with 'U' are faults which occur during module-to-module communication.
Modules should never be replaced based only on a 'U' code. These codes do not always indicate a problem, and can be caused by normal diagnostic functions, carried out on the vehicle.
===END IC DTC U1900-20===
===IC DTC B1360-20===
Code: B1360 - Ignition Switch circuit open
- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
Ignition Switch circuit open
---------Possible Causes---------
Ignition RUN/ACCESSORY circuit open
Open circuit between Ignition and module.
Internal Module concern.
Defective Ignition switch.
===END IC DTC B1360-20===
===RCM DTC None===
Module: Restraint Control Module
===END RCM DTC None===
===GEM DTC P1876===
Code: P1876 - Transfer Case 2-Wheel Drive Solenoid Circuit Open Or Short To Ground
Module: Generic Electronic Module
Transfer Case 2-Wheel Drive Solenoid Circuit Open Or Short To Ground
===END GEM DTC P1876===
===GEM DTC P1832===
Code: P1832 - Transmission Transfer Case 4WD Solenoid circuit failure
Transmission Transfer Case 4WD Solenoid circuit failure
===END GEM DTC P1832===
===GEM DTC B1359===
Code: B1359 - Ignition run / accessory circuit failure
===END GEM DTC B1359===
===GEM DTC B1483===
Code: B1483 - Brake On/Off Switch circuit failure
Brake On/Off Switch circuit failure
--- Possible Causes --------
This DTC can be generated by:
-Ground Short Brake Switch
-Open Brake Switch
-Suspect Brake Switch
-Suspect Generic Electronic Module
===END GEM DTC B1483===

Sorry for that being huge, just trying to give as much info as possible. From the contribution test it looks like something is up with cylinder #5. At least that's what it looks like to me. Correct me if I'm wrong. Possibly the egr stuff too?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,163 Posts
Cylinder 5 certainly may be the main issue. Something looks like it was causing an overfuel. Probably start by pulling that injector. Personally, if you thought it was hydrolocked and now you don't, it would be interesting to know why that changed ....

In addition to cylinder 5:
You have a MAF/IAT1 electrical or flow issue (P0113 and P1102)
Maybe a stuck turbo (P0299)
Some interesting cam/crank codes (P0341 and P0336). The P0341 is a wiring or sensor related code.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right now the entire air box to the turbo is off so I assume the MAF and IAT are from those not being a part of the system currently. Though I'm not positive on that.

I'm going home right now but I believe we are gonna start tearing the passenger bank apart and get injector 5 out and inspected.

I suspected it was hydro locked because of how it sounded when the starter engaged. But the battery being low could have been what was causing it to not spin. These were both brand new batteries last year but maybe they aren't up to snuff anymore.

Lastly, I could be completely wrong here, but I read that you can get crank and cam sensor codes if you don't have proper voltage. No idea if that is correct or not however, just something I read.

Thanks for all the help again! Will keep you posted once we tear down to the injector

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, I took a video of it running today while it was running. If you think that would be helpful I can try to upload it to YouTube this weekend and link it here

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,163 Posts
Well, low batteries can cause numerous issues and codes. You posted that the "battery" was low so you charged "it"...... You did charge both batteries didn't you?

Personally I would also load test them to make sure they are still good because that has frustrated a lot of people with supposedly new-ish batteries. That said, most people ignore that particular advice.

I have to admit - it makes it hard to help when you don't post all the information (ie mention everything that is unplugged during the testing). The P0299 might come from conducting the tests w/ the intake off as well.

As I posted earlier - you failed the bubble test so we KNEW there was an injector issue. Usually a bad injector like that will overpressure the fuel pump and starve that side of fuel and all four injectors on that side will be bad. If the OEM banjo bolts were removed and 6.4L banjo bolts were installed, all 8 could be bad.

Not totally convinced the P0336 and P0341 are from the weak batteries. I guess we will see.

I guess since you never mentioned issues w/ the glow plugs that were giving codes, that you know why you got #2 and #4 glow plug codes? You thinking weak batteries on them? If so, not sure why it would only be two codes. Did you ever unplug them? Sometimes a bad GPCM will only show one or two individual codes.

How about P1408 - was the EGR valve unplugged? Maybe weak batteries there, who knows.

You also have a MAP/Baro correlation code indicating one of those sensors is off - P0069.

Lastly P0500 vehicle speed sensor issue - who knows for now what this issue is. Probably at the differential since you aren't getting any ABS system DTCs.

For now ignoring the transfer case, brake switch and transducer, compass, and the ignition codes is the right thing to do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts