Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to make this long and costly story short. I am a diesel mechanic by trade and my work truck hauls a good bit of weight (gross about 14,000). I have 94 Superduty with a (2002) 7.3 turbo in it and my 3rd E40D in 2 years or so less just blew up, and this most recent one was rebuilt by my wife's cousin who works at a tranny shop and it had a better torque converter and shift kit in it. I am at a loss as to what I should do, keep buying E40D's or do some kind of swap? On top of the cost of replacing all these tranny's I lose money because its hard to work out of my spare vehicle, a little transit connect (and I don't get paid when I'm constantly working on my own vehicle and not my customers)! Please any help as to what direction I should go in would be greatly appreciated. I need a transmission I can rely on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Depending on your budget and how much coin you're willing to shell out you could go with a premium built E4OD from one of the known builders out there like BTS or John Woods. A lot people too upgrade a few key components to help strengthen these transmissions such as triple disk billet torque converter, performance valve body, billet intermediate shaft to name a few common parts that get upgraded especially when the transmission will be seeing more HP. What do you currently have in place for a transmission cooler? A gauge to monitor the transmission fluid temp too could be beneficial to see what your fluid temp is getting up to. Might also suggest an external transmission filter to help filter out the smaller material that the internal filter does not catch and keep it from circulating around inside the guts of your transmission.

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
I suggest a Sam wyse trans. He is about a month out though. If your interested I'll pm you where to get one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts