Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a MBRP 4" TB exhaust (with muffler, no cat)put on my truck while it was in for studs. It has a good deep tone to it during acceleration. It sounds good, except for the in cab drone around 2000 RPM. Wonder if a resonator would help get rid of that? Will it hurt the performance of the exhaust system at all? I like the "big block" sound of the exhaust, I just cant deal with the drone at highway speed, or even when it idles a little high when its cold.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Call me crazy but try taking off the muffler. Mine has no drone at all at cruising speed. With the windows up I honestly can't even tell the difference from stock, unless I'm above 2500 rpm.

·
Pilot
26 Posts
Just a thought but was the muffler installed the proper direction? I have the same exhaust and nearly zero drone and there definitely isn't any with an elevated idle. I remember in the instructions that it said if he muffler was installed in a certain direction it would increase drone in the cab. If it is installed properly, I can't see how a resonator would hurt the performance.

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
muffler or straight pipe will drone,some people might have different opions on what is considered drone

FTE Resonator all the way, I put it on mine and the in cab noise/drone it gone but it still sounds loud and aggressive from out side

they make 2 sizes, a 17" and a 30" (?i think)
i have the smaller one immediatly after my down pipe followed by 4" mbrp system with no muffler

1 - 4 of 4 Posts