Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one.

Just went got New shoes for the truck and while they were changing the tires they point out a diff leak :(:( This is the last thing I need now cause I need the truck thursday to go get the 450 in oregon. It's not leaking from the cover but from where the drive shaft goes into the diff :confused::confused:

I also just noticed that if I come to a complete stop and then go I feel this grinding sensation from my seat? What does this mean
Thanks
Nick

·
original "REZNECK"
630 Posts
ho bad is the leak? and that is you azz pukerin afraid of the repir bill. sorry dont have a clue about the seat

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Dont worry about it, its the front pinion seal, mine has been leaking for 40k or so. Are your hubs unlocked?

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
front or rear diff?

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear diff

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
hubs wont matter then, i how much does it leak on a typical day?

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
you might want to fill it up then huh?LOL i would just replace the pinion seal its not that hard you should be fine for a few days but fill it up!

·
original "REZNECK"
630 Posts
quarter sized ?

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
Hello every one.
I also just noticed that if I come to a complete stop and then go I feel this grinding sensation from my seat? What does this mean
Thanks
Nick
More than likely the pinion bearing is failing. This bearing is what holds the pinion in place. More than likely you have some sort of pinion movement that have worn the seal, hence the leaking of differential oil.

What I would do is go out and crawl under your truck grab the pinion flange and see what type of movement you get. Also check for that grinding, sometimes you'll get this only under load. Raise the rear wheels and spin the pinion flange.....

It's a crap shoot to keep driving with it as it will only get worse overtime If you have to go on your trip I'd keep the pumpkin full of oil and keep the loads a light as possible.....

Just a thought.....I could be way off base too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts