Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
THOMPSON13
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for a company that has a handfull of diesel trucks, ranging from 2000 - 2010s, that we use to pull our equipment over thousands of miles every week. Today I talked to the President and he has cleared me to take one truck and get a chip for it. I told him of the difference one made in my diesel and he said if he sees anything close to a change in the work trucks, that we would do it to the rest of them.

So my question is, who do I go with? I'd obviously like to get him the best chip for the best price. Doesnt even have to be something that can be changed on the fly because right now, he is just looking to improve fuel mileage.

Let me know what you guys think and if there are any vendors reading this, could you send me a pm with pricing? I'd like to buy only 1 chip right now and within the next month, probably 4 or 5 more. Maybe 6 cause I'm gonna sneak one in for my truck! lol After that we will see if he wants to do the newer trucks, he is worried about voiding warrenties.

Thanks!

·
Ticking time bomb
2,385 Posts
call any of the site sponsors and get custom tunes,, cale at tyrant, david at di, php, matt at gearhead etc...

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
sense the trucks are 00-2010 I would say talk to Bill at php, I know he tunes 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I would go no further then a SCT or superchip type tuner. Something with one tune and nothing more.

All trucks with this done should have an EGT gauge added and the people driving them taught what the max EGT should be.

I would never do this to any fleet trucks... Scary!

·
(520)465-7971
909 Posts
I would go no further then a SCT or superchip type tuner. Something with one tune and nothing more.

All trucks with this done should have an EGT gauge added and the people driving them taught what the max EGT should be.

I would never do this to any fleet trucks... Scary!
I would definitely make sure whatever tuner was added only had a single tune or a toggle switch between high idle and the tune if the truck has a PTO or something. There would be no need to have a multi position tuner that an employee can f with. You would definitely want custom tunes to limit the possibility of EGT problems. Hopefully your fellow employee's dont screw this up and start blowing up trucks.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Thats exactly what will happen... We tried this with my last company... lasted about a year. Maintenance costs went up, fuel costs went up and breakdowns went up...

Most people are not smart enough to drive a bumped truck.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking that if you had to do it I would get an edge evolution. Custom tuned from php for a very slight hp increase. What the boss is really after is the fuel savings so that should be the main tuning strategy. Good luck with that though. Hope nobody screws it up.

Oh, and until the basic reliability concerns are addressed, I wouldn't mess with the 6.0's. Just my opinion.

·
THOMPSON13
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies fellas.

What we are looking for is a single tune on these trucks. Something that cant be changed and something that will increase fuel mileage. At first he wants to start with one truck. It is an 02 7.3 bone stock, all of the trucks are stock. Yes we tow alot with them, I'd say on average 10 - 18,000 lbs, about 1,000 miles a week. Basically we are looking for a tune/chip that will increase fuel mileage and only that. Once one specific setting is put in the truck, it will never be changed or removed. This way, no one can mess with it and no one will "get in trouble" for anything going wrong by changing the programs. Once he sees what it will do, then we will order for the rest of the trucks. The 08's and up we will probably leave be but all the 00-07s will be done once he sees the changes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A lawn-landscape company had a couple of cummins that they had chips-programmers on to try this and ended up with bald right rear tires and black rear fenders. Sounds like the op knows how to drive one with power adder but most people I know like to smash the go pedal and roll coal! Last I. Heard they actually detuned their trucks to stop the bs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wet pavement, I have a edge ez you can have for free, no strings attached just give me address and the money to ship it and it is yours, nothing wrong with it I. Am just going a diff direction and it is so simple nobody wants it, let me know man.

·
THOMPSON13
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think what I might do is give him my superchips and order a custom tune for my truck since I have done a few mods and something custom would make me feel better. So lets do this... I have a 2000 7.3 with 250,000 miles. a built road ripper trany with 80,000 miles, 4" exhaust to 5" stacks, 4" lift running 35s (not sure if lift and tire size matter but if it does I'll be going to 8" and 40's soon) I havnt done alot to the motor since I have had the truck so I'm not sure what has been done inside it. It looks like the turbo has been replaced as well as the water pump. Ive done the mod where you cut out inside the grill to force direct air into the air filter/battery box. I dont pretend to be a diesel expert so I'll take all the "dumba55" comments with a grain of salt! ha Oh yeah, I dont know what to call it but it has this "oil fooler" 5 position dial deal. Makes the engine think its not getting enough oil and pushes more? idk Keep laughing as you read... The egr (i think it is) has also been removed. Its the probe that goes into the left side after the turbo, I removed it and hooked up the boost gauge in its place. I've also added the xhpop line. I've installed a Boost/Pyro/Tranny and Oil Pressure gauge if that matters.
I BELIEVE this is all so.... who do I give that info to to get a custom chip/tunes?
PS... I dont ever pull anything. Occasionally I'll haul lumber in the bed but thats about it. I currently have a superchips tuner that has something like performance, stock, fuel saver, tow and tow performance. I put it on fuel saver months ago and havent touched it. I'm pretty much looking for something that has performance, fuel saver, tow and smoke a dodge out! haha

·
THOMPSON13
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wet pavement, I have a edge ez you can have for free, no strings attached just give me address and the money to ship it and it is yours, nothing wrong with it I. Am just going a diff direction and it is so simple nobody wants it, let me know man.
hey man that sounds like a deal to me! Forgive my ignorance but is it a plug and play? All I have ever used is this SuperChips and I'm pretty stupid when it comes to the rest. I've heard of things having to be reburned or whatever. If this will work for me the way you send it, then by all means. Give me a paypal address and let me know what you want for shipping. Thats really cool of you :bowfast:

·
No 6.0
625 Posts
Chipping a company truck is a terrible idea. They're on the same level as rental cars.

Oh yeah, I dont know what to call it but it has this "oil fooler" 5 position dial deal. Makes the engine think its not getting enough oil and pushes more?
I've never ever heard of one of those...

The egr (i think it is) has also been removed.
7.3s don't have EGR

Its the probe that goes into the left side after the turbo, I removed it and hooked up the boost gauge in its place. I've also added the xhpop line. I've installed a Boost/Pyro/Tranny and Oil Pressure gauge if that matters.
Uh, that probe on the left side of your turbo (as you face the truck) is your downpipe, where it sounds like somebody improperly installed a EGT probe. You shouldn't have installed a boost fitting there either, as that's not where you read boost from...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah it plugs in under the hood into a sensor for I believe some form of oil pressure. It is called a pressure box. From what I am told. It does have some adjustability with moving some jumpers around, ibelieve 50-80 hp but it takes some doing, just go to the website to figure it all out. Pm me and I will get contact info, I don't have a paypal account.

·
143 Posts
WetP, you have no idea what you are talking about do ya.. LOL... I hope you are just being funny with that explanation...

I believe the first is a boost fooler that limits the boost to the MAP

7.3 = no EGR, maybe the crankcase vent you are referring to?

That probe was probably the IAH...

Fuel = power, it is hard to get better milage and keep power unless you do more mods and have a very lite foot... Mods cost more $$ and paid drivers rarely have a lite foot. Very hard to recover the cost of any upgrade in fuel savings.

Added power to 7.3 and you will probably need to remove the muffler and a better breathing intake. Then it will probably turbo surge and you will need a WW or ported housing, and probably a trans valve body to save the trans....

For a 6.0 look to delete the EGR and get head studs

6.4 and you will will window the block .. LOL These things keep mechanics in business.

Better for a business for keep them stock I feel. The reliability will be worth much more than the minimal or no savings with the mods. Broke down trucks dont tow at all.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I think what I might do is give him my superchips and order a custom tune for my truck since I have done a few mods and something custom would make me feel better. So lets do this... I have a 2000 7.3 with 250,000 miles. a built road ripper trany with 80,000 miles, 4" exhaust to 5" stacks, 4" lift running 35s (not sure if lift and tire size matter but if it does I'll be going to 8" and 40's soon) I havnt done alot to the motor since I have had the truck so I'm not sure what has been done inside it. It looks like the turbo has been replaced as well as the water pump. Ive done the mod where you cut out inside the grill to force direct air into the air filter/battery box. I dont pretend to be a diesel expert so I'll take all the "dumba55" comments with a grain of salt! ha Oh yeah, I dont know what to call it but it has this "oil fooler" 5 position dial deal. Makes the engine think its not getting enough oil and pushes more? idk Keep laughing as you read... The egr (i think it is) has also been removed. Its the probe that goes into the left side after the turbo, I removed it and hooked up the boost gauge in its place. I've also added the xhpop line. I've installed a Boost/Pyro/Tranny and Oil Pressure gauge if that matters.
I BELIEVE this is all so.... who do I give that info to to get a custom chip/tunes?
PS... I dont ever pull anything. Occasionally I'll haul lumber in the bed but thats about it. I currently have a superchips tuner that has something like performance, stock, fuel saver, tow and tow performance. I put it on fuel saver months ago and havent touched it. I'm pretty much looking for something that has performance, fuel saver, tow and smoke a dodge out! haha
You have a ICP mod... fancy 10k...

You have a superchips tuner

You have deleted the intake air heater...

And you have some gauges.

The Edge EZ that was offered to you is also a fancy 10k mod, you dont need it.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I'd chip all of mine, no start , 70 mph valet at least maybe a mild mpg tune, something with good shifts but like a 40 hp tow tune. And stock. Maybe combine the 40 and 70 mph valet..or bump it to 75.

Fleet trucks are still the liability of the owner.

Course depends on the fleet of drivers...Are they decent or idiots etc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts