Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 7.3 about 10 years ago recently purchased the same truck back after much searching. Motor has a decent oil leak maybe a quart every 7-10 days. obv that is the first priority. but once that is fixed i want to start rebuilding motor with better parts and more power.. where would yall suggest i start?

2002 with 315k miles

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 7.3 about 10 years ago recently purchased the same truck back after much searching. Motor has a decent oil leak maybe a quart every 7-10 days. obv that is the first priority. but once that is fixed i want to start rebuilding motor with better parts and more power.. where would yall suggest i start?

2002 with 315k miles
Depends what kind of power your looking to make

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Where’s the oil leaks? Here are some links to set her up right. Pick and choose what you feel necessary.

2002 is limited to 500hp stock internals - go anymore than that and it gets real spendy.

I highly recommend these as a MUST from a reliability standpoint. Items I’ve purchased.(Updated 1/9/18)

1. Pedestal delete, turbo outlet, bellowed up pipes http://alturl.com/asxnt $200 shipped
2. Plenum inserts http://alturl.com/eppso $51 shipped
3. Fuel bowl reseal Ebay user: racecolo best instructions ever! Dummy proof trust me! https://tinyurl.com/ydxtyro9 $20 shipped
4. Fuel lines https://tinyurl.com/y8n4wnhs.us $280 shipped
5. HPOP reseal Ebay user: racecolo https://tinyurl.com/ycrzvjee $29 shipped
6. HPOP lines Ebayer: crudediesel he’s local to me https://tinyurl.com/ycmlqfsb $155 shipped
7. Turbo rebuild: Ebay http://alturl.com/xrxtg $65 shipped. Has 360deg thrust bearing
8. Turbo outlet oring: Ebay F81Z-9E436-AA o-ring $8shipped
9. Upper radiator hose amazon #62491 $17 shipped. Route behind serpentine belt
10. Derale 14208 4r100 pan (adds 7qts extra) $130 http://alturl.com/kxbdt
11. Total: $955

Every single item I recommended above I have purchased except #1. I bought the pedestal delete and flanges separately buy if I had to do it over again, I would but it in a package to make it easier (throw out compressor and get a WW2 if you want).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not looking for anything crazy power wise.. was my dads daily since new when he died in 2010 I made it a life goal to one day find it and buy it back.. just bought it back Monday! What I’m really wanting is a solid truck that’ll throw you around a little when you want it to.

Also what psi is the oem turbo supposed to make?

·
7,985 Posts
stock turbo will make about 17 lbs boost. with a chip and boost fooler it will easily make over 25 lbs

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m not looking for anything crazy power wise.. was my dads daily since new when he died in 2010 I made it a life goal to one day find it and buy it back.. just bought it back Monday! What I’m really wanting is a solid truck that’ll throw you around a little when you want it to.

Also what psi is the oem turbo supposed to make?
Stock turbo is only rated for 26 psi. They can make more but they don't last long they are garbage. Rebuild them with a 360° bearing kit and they are a little tougher. But the stock 60/80 wheel is too small for these trucks. I made 32psi on mine and had to rebuild 2 times and just bought a new stock turbo and it went too. So I just went with a t4 kit. Love it

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I love it when people spew stuff they know nothing about. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Lol come on guys only his opinion so let him have it. He probably has an upgraded turbo:)

By garbage though.... try telling Bob at diesel site that... He made 600hp + off of that beast with is WW - granted lots of tuning and fab to prevent turbo surge. Gtp38 ain’t no chump -I love my kcturbo though :) better than the gtp38 with all the upgrades done to it. @[email protected] might give everybody a deal on the stg2 once kcturbo comes out with the 369sxe :) I’m going to upgrade when I can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love it when people spew stuff they know nothing about. Lol

Last time I checked I work ford ford as a tech. And 7.3s are retarded down so far for engine longevity. Then picked a turbo with the compressor map to work on that retarded engine. Just putting a chip on these trucks out the turbo at the edge of it's efficiency map. So when you put injectors and fuel system and tuning to go with it. That turbo is ####. Mine gtp38 had 203k on it and was fine until I added any power and truck chewed right thru them. And I'm assuming since your trying to #### on me that you know how to correctly read and understand compressor map..but then again if you did you would be running you mouth. Guy is asking for performance advice. And the stock charger is FAR from performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
​ DieselDC;5974234 said:
Lol come on guys only his opinion so let him have it. He probably has an upgraded turbo:)

By garbage though.... try telling Bob at diesel site that... He made 600hp + off of that beast with is WW - granted lots of tuning and fab to prevent turbo surge. Gtp38 ain’t no chump -I love my kcturbo though :) better than the gtp38 with all the upgrades done to it. @[email protected] might give everybody a deal on the stg2 once kcturbo comes out with the 369sxe :) I’m going to upgrade when I can.

EXACTLY. Losts of tuning and fab. Just to use a less than adequate charge. Or you can much easier bolt on a 38r or a t4 kit with a s369 and be capable,of more lower

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Oh chit boys, what out. We have a "ford tech" aka oil changer on our hands.
I didn't know ford trained for aftermarket parts.

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
Haha. A chip will take out your turbo. That's the first time I've heard that. My truck was been chipped for over 100k miles. I rebuilt the turbo at 215k and it looked brand new. I run 160/100's with it now with a 66 compressor wheel. I hit 36 psi daily for 10k and it's not showing any signs of problems.

Just a question. What size injectors would pair well with that 369?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haha. A chip will take out your turbo. That's the first time I've heard that. My truck was been chipped for over 100k miles. I rebuilt the turbo at 215k and it looked brand new. I run 160/100's with it now with a 66 compressor wheel. I hit 36 psi daily for 10k and it's not showing any signs of problems.

Just a question. What size injectors would pair well with that 369?
238~250

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Kcturbo with 250/200 would be well and “efficient”

I read guys live tuning 238/100 making 600hp but that’s the extent - I just read about it. Don’t know if I want to go that small for 600hp.

369sxe and “used up efficiency” would be 300/200. This would be the combo right here!

one of my gtp38r has 400k on it prior to rebuild and it was chipped maybe 300k+ish. Not making crazy power but with a billet wheel, 25psi all day with a little surge at the lower end :)

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
I would never run a 369 with 238/100. You would be way out of the map. You would be under the turbo quite a bit. 366 is s better choice.
250/200's with a manual truck I would run a 366 and a 369 on an auto. Anything bigger would be 369.

But let's not have a pissimg match in this guys thread. We can start a new one if you want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hahaha.. yall dont apologize for anything on my thread as i am far from an expert and can learn from just yalls dif opinions and thoughts!

thank yall so much for the help!

i will be able to get back to this end of it once i break into the damn thing cuz now it has me locked out hahaha

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I would never run a 369 with 238/100. You would be way out of the map. You would be under the turbo quite a bit. 366 is s better choice.
250/200's with a manual truck I would run a 366 and a 369 on an auto. Anything bigger would be 369.

But let's not have a pissimg match in this guys thread. We can start a new one if you want.

Lol I’m all about opinions - if I disagree with something I’ll say my piece and that would be all but pissing match is out - don’t need the stress. Wife give me enough of that stress bs haha.

Reason why I bring up the 369sxe is b/c kc is working on one for a complete drop in configuration. With that said, I might even drop my 7.3 soon. Getting a IH DTA-360 - it was that or a 6.0 FULLY BULLETPROOF.

Back to the point though, how do you figure the map isn’t going to match with the 238?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts