Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I know this is a redundant topic but everyone always talks about grabbing everything from the donor truck to do the Dana 60 swap and I don`t have that option. I`m picking up a 96 Dana 60 to put in my 97 F250 on sunday. It`s just the axle though. Picture attached. I'm trying to figure out exactly what this is missing that I`ll need to buy and what i can reuse from the front end I have now. Any help is appreciated. If you know what it needs, any help on where to source it would be great as well

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,678 Posts
front springs. you can use your F250 springs, but it will ride like crap.
tie rods, center link, pitman arm. you can use the 250 steering parts, but it will steer like crap and the steering geometry will be all wrong.
trac bar and mounting bracket. this is a must have before you can drive the truck. it keeps the axle centered under the truck.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Precision Metal Fabrications (PMF) Shackle Reversal Kit to mount Super Duty “V code” front springs, ubolts with OBS F350 axle plates. OBS F350 steering parts tie rod, drag link, PMF track bar mount and track bar. OBS F350 stock front driveshaft with constant velocity joint on transfer case end including yolk for T case. OBS F350 anti sway bars front and rear. Longer shocks, longer brake lines PMF has them. Rear spring blocks size depends on amount of lift of front SRK height.
STRONGLY suggest you do NOT install OBS stock F250 springs, they are way way too stiff and the in frame stock front spring mounts are junk and will always steer like herding hogs and chickens.
Optional Borgeson mid steering shaft and rebuilt steering box like redhead blue head etc., will create great steering handling rig.
Cheers,
j

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
In looking at your image closer you can also swap your brake callipers/pads and rotors over to this axle, even the spindles if need be. I’d also remove the backing plates (plates between rotor and knuckle) they are just a gimmick. Driver’s side below axle spring plate (cast steel plate) that u bolts run through maybe a challenge to get hold of. I have used PMF parts and Sky manufacturing parts and the PMF is much stronger (MO), both are superior to stock system by far...
cheers,
j

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
F250 and 350 spindles are slightly different, the 350s are presumably stronger as they have a more robust lip that slides through the front knuckle housing. The 250s will work fine I feel unless you are severe duty. I have 250s on mine with 37” tires 17” rims on Tan sig truck and it’s been awesome. This is a worth while mod that you will be pleased with.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hope you didn't pay much for just the axle.
you need the pitman arm that bolts to the steering box for an f350. The 250 one increases steering radius and gives a loose feeling when driving down the road straight, there is play in the steering before it does start to turn. Like others have said, don't use the f250 springs. Will be like riding down a set of stairs on a park bench. You don't need to get f350 springs specifically from a diesel. I used a set from a 91 f350 single cab that had a 460 and they work good. Good luck finding that driver side axle plate. Some people have been able to reuse the f250 one and not get vibrations and others haven't been able to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In regards to the u-bolt plates ive seen a lot of talk of u-bolt reversal kits. What is the appeal to this and would it solve the problem of not having this plate?

·
Project Shamu
3,067 Posts
The reversal kits are sketchy IMO. I just bought the plate and got it over with when I did my swap. If you look around and have some time, you find a good deal. I got mine for $60 shipped on ebay

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK, No worries. Based on that information and further research into the u-bolt flip I decided to simply pick up a driver side spring plate. I'm not interested in cutting into the webbing of the 60.
Now outside of that, I will be doing all new steering tie rods and pitman arm as well as leaf springs which was my plan all along anyway. Im also going to install a reverse shackle kit. My next question is the panhard bar. Do I need to get any bracket for this or is it cast into the 60 already and what about on the body side?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come along pretty well from where I started it from.
Getting all new bearings, and sealing and ball joints.
Also will likely be getting a locker, haven't made up my mind 100% on this though

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey fellas, Does the factory shock mount for the TTB work on the Dana 60 or do I need a different one?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Frame side shock tower is same as F350 4X4. Different if coming from F250 coil 4x2 though and you’d need them then. TTB side should be same as I recall held on by U bolts on top of spring pack.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Figures I would updated a little here. Got it all installed with locker. I didn’t do the u-bolt flip, I agree it seemed a little sketchy to me so I didn’t go that route. I did a Reverse shackle kit though and a redhead steering gear and new leaf springs and shocks. So everything up front is new shy of the steering shaft, which I’ll likely do soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Figures I would updated a little here. Got it all installed with locker. I didn’t do the u-bolt flip, I agree it seemed a little sketchy to me so I didn’t go that route. I did a Reverse shackle kit though and a redhead steering gear and new leaf springs and shocks. So everything up front is new shy of the steering shaft, which I’ll likely do soon.
View attachment 202700 View attachment 202701
Wow I know this is old..did you ever find the spring plate?

·
Registered
259 Posts
View attachment 202700
That's one purdy axle right there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts