Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to get one and what strategy is the best?

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
find a good known used one is usually the cheapest alternative. I usually have quit a few but none that are for your set up. Check in the for sale and electronic forums on here. there always popping up.

good luck

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I would look for a pmt series for a 99 auto.
What code was your chip burned for?
I keep an xle4 as a backup but it is pretty much chitty
As far as a standalone pcm, lots of minor improvements between the two, my idle is a scootch better, shifting alot smoother, and my cruise light works with the pmt....
Now a chip changes alot of that so maybe one of the johnathans or jody, matt, bill or dave can write a decent xle program who knows

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt said that a pmt1 would be my best choice. He said he can't tune the e99. So that is why I'm looking for a new one, and he said that if I was looking for best performance that it would be the best way to go.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am in the same boat and thought that programming overode the pcm to whatever the tuner programs it to be. I asked Matt to explain it to me and here is how he described it. One of the many perks to converting the early 99, one more thing to buy.

The xle is the early processor that is slower and doesn't have the
transmission hardware to do the really nice shifting like the later
processor does. A chip written for PMT1 (what I use on the late 99) doesn't
work right on the early. the mileage is also down compared to the later
processor when tuned for some reason.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
Any DPC-422 will work, doesn't matter what code (PMT 1,2,3,4 etc, doesn't even have to be PMT) because the chip is over riding the PCM. Go up to the library in 7.3 technical and you will find all the info you need there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts