Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 F250 CC, Short Bed, 6.0L, 4x4. I'm getting really hard cold starts. Sometimes i have to crank it 3 or 4 times to get it start (not always though), it chugs really bad between around 1200-1800 rpms in its final gear only between around 45-60 maybe 65 mph., and when its cold it sometimes doesn't have all of its power when i push the accelerator. From what i've heard and read its a sticky injector. I don't know if its a injector thats completely shot or just sticky. i have no check engine light or anything so cant even diagnose with a reader. Any help would be greatly appreciated. First diesel so excited to have it and from what i've read and heard the 6.0 is very anal about the fluids used in it. What's thinking about trying Rev-X to see if it helps cause of what i read on everyone's forum about it. But would just like a couple of opinions first. Thank You.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haven't checked it. if it gets stuck open would it be able to just get cleaned or would it be shot and need replaced?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what are the pros and cons of deleting it? im still learning for diesel. First one so sorry if i sound like i'm playing 20 questions. i know gas motors like the back of my hand. BUT............diesel is still new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Ryan, Since your truck is still starting, just multiple cold start attempts, I'd start with your FICM voltage. There's a thread on here or PS.O about checking the voltage with a multimeter, I think you should have the 7 pin under the cover on an 03. Rev-X is great for lubing your injectors, I've been using it for about 3 months, especially with ULSD, but it doesn't fix low fuel pressure or low voltage and isn't a substitute for regular oil changes ( I been using Ford 10W30 Dino for 18 months now, but that's another thread). I cannot recommend strongly enough to get a monitor for your truck. I have an Edge Insight, had I bought it a year ago it would have saved me some cash. Typically you'll have a fair bit of blue in your exhaust with some injector problems during start up and WOT, read some threads about injector symptoms. Make sure both your fuel filters are changed, empty you water separator, due the blue spring mod (international #1854267C94 about $28 and an hour in your driveway) Don't let anyone talk you into injector work unless they can tell you what your fuel pressure is, so once again, get a monitor. There's lots of guys like me who love their 6.0

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello Ryan, I had the same problem but had injector#3 code. I did the ficm repair prior, because dtc said most injectors bad, and ficm test concured. Sent off to ficm repair.com. That cleared all but #3 dtc, would give same trouble as yours. I put hotshot in. That was ran for 500 miles with 5w 40 syn. oil. The problem still was there, went to rev-x 180 miles. Both additives, did show inprovement in running. From there I decided to change injector out, was looking at project, I decided to wiggle connectors as was sujested here in forum. I had done this once, but this time I pushed the wires into the connectors. Low and behold code was able to be cleared, and injector is working with stichon. I feel hotshot and rev-x in oil will clear that up. Hope this may help you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank ya'll for the advice. I appreciate the help. Later on today or tomorrow i'm gonna go out there and start checking out voltage's and check for dirty parts and filters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts