Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 F350 CCLB 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been chasing this nasty ear splitting drone my 97 F350’s been making the last few weeks. Doesn’t start until about 55 mph and is the worst at about 60. Use to taper off over 60 but it hasn’t been tapering off as much lately. Makes the truck almost unbearable to drive long distances it’s so bad now. Everything on the exhaust looks good, and it’s all stock less the 3” down pipe. But I don’t really think it’s coming from the exhaust as I hear it more from the general area of the turbo/rear of the engine compartment. I’ve checked the inlet side of the turbo and doesn’t have any end play and I can’t see any fins missing. Turns freely without any hiccups. Have yet to take the down pipe off the exhaust side to check those fins. I’m at a lose as to what else to check besides the front axle. Engine runs smooth and has plenty of power. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Check the downpipe for rubbing on the firewall seam and maybe even the passenger uppipe. Front hubs aren't locked in are they? Cheers!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have an assistant feather the accelerator pedal while you crawl around under the hood & engine with a mechanic's stethoscope, listening to serpentine belt bearings, the vacuum pump & its reservoir, the transmission, & the fan clutch. Also check the U-joints, tires, & wheel bearings.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,489 Posts
Since no one thought to mention the faceplate/flywheel or clutch, that's where I would look.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1997 F350 CCLB 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the downpipe for rubbing on the firewall seam and maybe even the passenger uppipe. Front hubs aren't locked in are they? Cheers!
There’s a small amount of rubbing of the heat wrap against the seam but that’s it. Hasn’t even wore all the way thru. Up pipes looked good. And negative on the front hubs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts