Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am getting ready to install a Napa filter base with bypass oil filter that has a 10 micron rating. Can anyone show me where I get the oil from on the engine (think it is by the filter base) and where I need to return it to? Also can you give me the thread sizes for the supply and return for when I go get hoses made?

thanks
micky

Oh yea, if it matters this is going in my 03, 7.3, manual, 4x4

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Micky you know you can do this right?

The LF9691 is an integrated by pass and standard filter all in one and the LF3974 is a standard size filter to show for size comparison.

Above pix is of poor quality and does not show the location of output on the filter head. It's the small hex brass plug 1/8" NPT be careful when threading in your connection there as its just aluminum as you don't want to crack it from over tightening. This is the latest system I put together for my 97. It uses a Luber-Finer 9750 for the by pass and is a BIG filter 5" in Dia by 12 inches long...

On the 97 (red truck) I run the fleetguard 9691 as well as the 9750 this system uses a lot of oil like 22 litres just over 5 gallons and I switched to Mobile 1 full synthetic 5-40W and will run it year round.

This is from my '96 DIY by pass system and what I used at the time guessing 10 yrs ago??. The filter head will fit Amsoil by pass filter.

Have more pix in my sig pix link below red truck folder is 97 and black truck folder is 96

Good luck with your set up...what are you using to restrict flow into the by pass filter? And why only 10 microns I think you can achieve better filtration down to 2 microns with a by pass.

jrc

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
what do you guys think about using a spin on fuel filter as bypass.. like the CAT 1R-0749. 2 micron filter. ??

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
what do you guys think about using a spin on fuel filter as bypass.. like the CAT 1R-0749. 2 micron filter. ??
I know it has been done...my only concern would be how the fuel filter media would like 180-200* oil. Besides the ELF7405 is going to catch of lot of stuff on its own...

OT: I just got mine in ryder and it is going on the truck on Saturday....man that filter is HUGE!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Can the lf 9691 filter be used by itself?
If you mean in the stock filter location, by all means yes that is what it's for.
I run one on my ride right now and as you maybe aware it's a full flow filter with a stack plate bypass filter integrated into it so kind of an all in one, without the hassle of running lines, additional filter head to a separate by pass

I just opted to try a Z Guard Luber finer in conjunction with above for lots of filtration capacity.

jrc

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is what I got. The filter is 5 or 6 micron if I recall correctly first pass so it will get lower than that. I wanted something I could go into any NAPA and buy the parts for. Yes there are better but this was cheap and all the improvement I need over stock.

Now I just need to get off my ass and have hoses made. I am several thousand miles from my next oil change so I am going to do this install when I change the oil next.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well you are not "that guy". What you posted was the crap cross reference from NAPA and to make sure you get the right thing. Looks like my Napa filter is headed back to them and I will be getting the Baldwin.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Well you are not "that guy". What you posted was the crap cross reference from NAPA and to make sure you get the right thing. Looks like my Napa filter is headed back to them and I will be getting the Baldwin.
Bummer man. That is why I am not a huge NAPA/wix fan, the filters are kinda middle of the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts