Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
They are in the fact that all the bugs are worked out of them they have beter hpop,lines from the hpop to the injector rail and rail but the egr still plugs and the head gaskets still blow I have a 03 with 06 heads and oil feed lines. But if you do all the stuff to helpout like egr delete and studs that is the key to haveing a good 6.0

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'd say its true, but only barely.

They all need headstuds and an EGR delete, and I think the hpop and oil cooler are prone to failure about the same amount.

I wouldnt turn down a nice deal on an 03-04

·
Registered
572 Posts
have 2 stock 2006 6.0's
both are work trucks - lots of heavy cargo loads, moderate towing, plenty of rough dirt roads...

no significant problems with about 70K miles total

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think if you maintain them the right way they will last, use Ford filter's change the oil around 4000 mi because of the shear, get a good set of gauges install a coolent filter to remove the casting sand to save the cooler's thing should be good, that's how i see it.
2 stroker

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
I'd say its true, but only barely.

They all need headstuds and an EGR delete, and I think the hpop and oil cooler are prone to failure about the same amount.

I wouldnt turn down a nice deal on an 03-04

The later year model year HPOP's have a very reliable record. Also, the oil cooler does not fail if the coolant is filtered and well taken care of. They only fail when they plug (and if they fail, they have been let go WAY too long).

Now the later year model 6.0's do have a weaker EGR cooler than the early year models AND the STC fitting (discharge fitting on the HPOP) on the 05's and 06's are more prone to failure.

All-in-all though, the 06's and 07's are very reliable IMO.

FICM's will be a potential failure point when you have weak system voltages (or some believe that the early inductive heat flash also causes issues) and the fuel pressure regulator seems weak on the later model year engines. It is an easy fix though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
my truck has been good to me im at 182k now and still no real problems no matter wat year 6.0 it is imo its all in the way u treat it, i still run the sh#t out off mine every now and again but for the most part i just cruise it keep up with fluid changes and if u tow do it on stock or tow tune, i think this is the main cause of headgasket and egr failure towing on hot tunes, respect the truck and they can be great trucks i have several friends with 6.0s all o which are 03 and 04s and none of them have had serious problem, well i take that bak one has blown headgaskets but is in very good shape now though :evil and he blew them doing one of the longest burnouts ive ever seen LOL

·
Registered
359 Posts
my truck has been good to me im at 182k now and still no real problems no matter wat year 6.0 it is imo its all in the way u treat it, i still run the sh#t out off mine every now and again but for the most part i just cruise it keep up with fluid changes and if u tow do it on stock or tow tune, i think this is the main cause of headgasket and egr failure towing on hot tunes, respect the truck and they can be great trucks i have several friends with 6.0s all o which are 03 and 04s and none of them have had serious problem, well i take that bak one has blown headgaskets but is in very good shape now though :evil and he blew them doing one of the longest burnouts ive ever seen LOL
and the video to that burnout is on you tube [ drew hargrave 6.0 powerstroke burnout] if ur intersted on what not to do if u dont wanna f##k up ure truckLOL

·
Steamfighter
1,094 Posts
I have an 05 and an 06 that have been vary good trucks . the 05 gets the snot ran out of it and keeps coming back for more . the 06 is my baby and runs around tuned all the time with no problems so far .

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
The 07 turbos have an internal groove that allows soot and oil to pass through,which reduces the risk of the vanes to stick open or closed.
The 03-06 style turbos do not have this groove.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts