Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for @HilhavenFarm. You had said earlier you wanted some input on Mystic oil, so I'll share my thoughts better here, so I don't muck up Lt Dan's thread any worse.

And @Bugman, also for you, since you didn't take the bait about oil not getting dirty because stuff doesn't wear out. I was trying to insert some humor. Lol

I fall into the group that doesn't have my oil analysed, several of my mentors growing up had problems with it, and it rubbed off. I simply don't mess with it, though someday, maybe but doubtful.

A good example I'll use here is an old 444 Cummins I used to run. I installed it used, and when I did I changed the mains and rod bearings, and ran the overhead. Inside it was not real clean, black slime stuck to everything, not sludged up, but yucky. In went the Mystic 15W-50. It would turn the oil on the stick black by the time the filters were primed. After about 200k miles, on 15k change intervals, it would go about 2500 miles before turning the oil black again. Off come the valve covers to set the valves, no black film. Not bad for an old engine that did nothing but work hard and belch black smoke. Fast forward a ways, and my source for Mystic temporarily went away, started using Rotella 15-40. Was back under the valve covers too work on the engine brakes, after about 60k of Rotella. Black sooty film is back.

Any of our engines that have had nothing but Mystic, were clean inside whenever I went in, except when coolant contaminated.

Bearings- Again, big Cummins engines.
Removing the rods and mains at 250k-300k, our engines that ran Mystic their whole lives, weren't showing any copper. During our Mystic free days, same miles, copper showing. Nothing terrible, but noticable wear.

Oil temp- same old 444. Pulling Salt River Canyon grossed out, with Mystic the highest I ever seen was 210*. With Rotella 220 was normal, 225 happened more than once. Changed back to Mystic, back down to 210 or below.

I run Mystic in most of my stuff, unless it's a leaker, then it gets Rotella or Delo. Nothing wrong with them at all.

In my mother's IDI, with 500k miles, it gets the stick black at about 2600 miles, give or take. Without Mystic, it's black in the first 500 miles. In my Powerstroke with 116k miles, it gets darker at about 2k miles, then doesn't change until I drain it 5k. I've never run anything else in it since I've owned it, so it's not a good reference I guess.

I've had really good luck with their gear oil in many many transmissions and differentials, and oil type wheel bearings.

Had good luck with the grease too. It's all I use.

Hope it explains my thoughts better, it's limited experience, not fancy, not a computer print out, but it's what I have.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Ok, for @HilhavenFarm. You had said earlier you wanted some input on Mystic oil, so I'll share my thoughts better here, so I don't muck up Lt Dan's thread any worse.

And @Bugman, also for you, since you didn't take the bait about oil not getting dirty because stuff doesn't wear out. I was trying to insert some humor. Lol

I fall into the group that doesn't have my oil analysed, several of my mentors growing up had problems with it, and it rubbed off. I simply don't mess with it, though someday, maybe but doubtful.

A good example I'll use here is an old 444 Cummins I used to run. I installed it used, and when I did I changed the mains and rod bearings, and ran the overhead. Inside it was not real clean, black slime stuck to everything, not sludged up, but yucky. In went the Mystic 15W-50. It would turn the oil on the stick black by the time the filters were primed. After about 200k miles, on 15k change intervals, it would go about 2500 miles before turning the oil black again. Off come the valve covers to set the valves, no black film. Not bad for an old engine that did nothing but work hard and belch black smoke. Fast forward a ways, and my source for Mystic temporarily went away, started using Rotella 15-40. Was back under the valve covers too work on the engine brakes, after about 60k of Rotella. Black sooty film is back.

Any of our engines that have had nothing but Mystic, were clean inside whenever I went in, except when coolant contaminated.

Bearings- Again, big Cummins engines.
Removing the rods and mains at 250k-300k, our engines that ran Mystic their whole lives, weren't showing any copper. During our Mystic free days, same miles, copper showing. Nothing terrible, but noticable wear.

Oil temp- same old 444. Pulling Salt River Canyon grossed out, with Mystic the highest I ever seen was 210*. With Rotella 220 was normal, 225 happened more than once. Changed back to Mystic, back down to 210 or below.

I run Mystic in most of my stuff, unless it's a leaker, then it gets Rotella or Delo. Nothing wrong with them at all.

In my mother's IDI, with 500k miles, it gets the stick black at about 2600 miles, give or take. Without Mystic, it's black in the first 500 miles. In my Powerstroke with 116k miles, it gets darker at about 2k miles, then doesn't change until I drain it 5k. I've never run anything else in it since I've owned it, so it's not a good reference I guess.

I've had really good luck with their gear oil in many many transmissions and differentials, and oil type wheel bearings.

Had good luck with the grease too. It's all I use.

Hope it explains my thoughts better, it's limited experience, not fancy, not a computer print out, but it's what I have.

Thanks for your input . Here’s a 3406B Jake head that’s been run on mystic in the past .

This engine is a gross leaker , I’m surprised DOT hasn’t shut the truck down . Anyway it gets serviced once a year due to the amount of top off . It had mystic for a good long time .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks for reply. I am not one to change but may entertain running Mystic in something else I own that would show the improvement.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply. I am not one to change but may entertain running Mystic in something else I own that would show the improvement.
I hear ya. I'm not one for unnecessary change myself. If you're having good luck, stick with what your doing has always been my philosophy. Especially when it comes to stuff like this. I've changed brands in an engine and had it go to leaking from every available point, and start using oil like crazy, change back the leaks dry up and consumption goes back to normal. Funny picky beasts they can be.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, time to update this too compensate for recent developments.

Mystic has changed their formulas. I'm assuming it is to meet the new emissions requirements.

Once putting the new formula into service, everything I put it in went to consuming oil.
Our big cams, regardless of mileage, started consuming roughly 1 gallon every 1500 miles under normal circumstances.

Even my 100k mile 7.3 started using a quart and a half between changes.

Even my lawnmower uses oil now.

Called our salesman and was informed that he has been getting that complaint lately from folks running "older" equipment. He advised us to experiment with different brands, and let him know.

So, I'll update what I find out, I just put Super Tech in the 7.3, and I'm excited about it, that stuff is the closest smelling and feeling to old mystic that I've found. Thank you @longjonsilver for the suggestion.

I tried Napa brand, (Valvoline?) in one of my gas trucks, so we'll see.

Sorry if I talked anybody into trying it prematurely, I'm still happy with how it performs, it just goes away too fast.

·
Project Shamu
2,410 Posts
I must've missed this thread until now, wish I could've tried it back then. I'm still running Delo 15w-40, but we'll see.

Like you said, I've had okay luck with it, why change now?

Speaking of oil turning black, funny story when I installed my newly-rebuilt engine in Shamu;
Once I finally got it all together, I filled it with oil and went for a drive. When I got back, I pulled the dipstick, and didnt see anything on it! So I proceeded to add oil thinking since it was bone dry because of a first time fill. After getting another 1.5 gallons into it, I started getting pretty frustrated. Until I wiped the dipstick with my fingers and found it was all the way up the dip stick!!! The oil was so clean I couldn't even see it on the dipstick!!!

I ended up draining it out, and it took about 10,000miles of driving, and 3 oil changes, before it stayed pretty dark all the time.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, yeah, I've done that, once, or several times. Yesterday actually, you know, the shop lift just wouldn't get full of hyd oil, until it was blowing it all over the place.

I'm using Delo in our refer units, a friend recommended it, saying it didn't leak as bad, and not really wanting to do valve cover gaskets and rear mains on refer units, I tried it. It worked. Oil leakage came back to acceptable levels. It seems to get a little slimy quicker than the old mystic, in that application, but those little engines produce a lot of soot, so no complaints.

Cost is a major factor also, we use about 4 barrels a year, so I'm shopping around a bit. I'm going to try the new formula Delo in something next, if it works maybe I'll catch it on sale again.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I like that Walmart oil , I run it in my trucks and one of my customers 454 Mack and his 425 B Cat engine . My wife’s soon to be sold olds BRAvada with the 4.2 inline engine does great with it .
The rest get Napa oil . It’s funny how engines respond to different engine oil . My experience, heui engines don’t like Napa oil . Got a customers dt466 that shows indication of injector stiction with Napa oil but has almost none with Rotella or Walmart oil . Oil is oil for the most part pick one that works for you and service it regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,806 Posts
i gatta say, I never saw mystic oil fail us throughout the 90's on our stuff. my part of the family got out of the business in the early 2000's so i have no idea how the products are now.
...though i did start a thread a while back about mystic gear oil having the consistency of snot lol! kinda interesting...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's good to know about the Napa stuff!
That super tech is the closest I've seen to the old mystic, by smell feel and taste anyway.

And I LOVE the gear oil. That stuff is fantastic. Other than being leak prone. Sure lubes good though. The grease has treated me good too.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if they have a strong market in CA. Myself I was having to buy it in Amarillo TX. About 260 mi one way for me.

The only chain store I've seen it in is Tractor Supply.

·
Project Shamu
2,410 Posts
We've got a tractor supply about 10 miles from us, I'll have to check it out and see if they have any

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bet they do, I no longer can recommend the engine oil, but you already know that. Their 85-140 gear oil is one of my favorite things also. It'll be high at TSC, but it's a good place to start before ordering a bunch.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should add to that, the green tube multi purpose grease is good, but the red tube high temp multi purpose will probably suite you better, since you run around the CA desert.

·
Project Shamu
2,410 Posts
Coincidentally today I was working in the garage and in my cabinet I found a 2 galling bottle of Mystik ISO 68 Hydraulic Oil, it's for my tubing bender and had no idea it was Mystik lol!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Coincidentally today I was working in the garage and in my cabinet I found a 2 galling bottle of Mystik ISO 68 Hydraulic Oil, it's for my tubing bender and had no idea it was Mystik lol!
Hey I was at an O Riellys today and noticed they have Mystic grease. Didn't look for gear oil or motor oil. Thought I'd pass it along.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts