Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided it was time to change my rear diff fluid.

And look what I found.

I think its a shim but what does everyone else think it is?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Either a shim or a piece of a seal

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I would do a little more digging into it.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the rear end acting up?? If not, replace the oil and fugging drive it...
Not that I can tell. I went ahead and changed the oil and took it out for a test drive. turned sharp and did a could figure 8's forward and backward and it wasnt binding. did a little burn out and its pulling posi again LOL

·
<----Simply the best.
3,594 Posts
Not that I can tell. I went ahead and changed the oil and took it out for a test drive. turned sharp and did a could figure 8's forward and backward and it wasnt binding. did a little burn out and its pulling posi again LOL
Glad my truck and chip only can't turn my tires. Can't afford to be doing that.:doh:

I should probably do mine. I don't think it's ever been done. How often are you supposed to?

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad my truck and chip only can't turn my tires. Can't afford to be doing that.:doh:

I should probably do mine. I don't think it's ever been done. How often are you supposed to?
LOL get ya some injectors and some new tunes and ya could.

Ford says since its synthetic that it don't need to be changed :doh:

This is the 1st I have done mine and i probably should have done it sooner. I think im going to start doing it every 50k with the tranny and t-case fluid

·
<----Simply the best.
3,594 Posts
LOL get ya some injectors and some new tunes and ya could.

Ford says since its synthetic that it don't need to be changed :doh:

This is the 1st I have done mine and i probably should have done it sooner. I think im going to start doing it every 50k with the tranny and t-case fluid
I've dropped enough coin on my truck this year.:ford:

I might have to look into some different diff covers. Did you change the front also?

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've dropped enough coin on my truck this year.:ford:

I might have to look into some different diff covers. Did you change the front also?
I havent yet but I'm going to soon

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
That appears to be a metal "chip" produced during the machining of the axle tubes or third member.God knows I have seen enough of them, I have been in the contract machining business for 33 years. It could still however be a remnant of a seal, but I would expect to see at least some rubber adhering to it somewhere.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
That appears to be a metal "chip" produced during the machining of the axle tubes or third member.God knows I have seen enough of them, I have been in the contract machining business for 33 years. It could still however be a remnant of a seal, but I would expect to see at least some rubber adhering to it somewhere.
:whs:

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
an 08 cover is a simple cheap cover if your not a dually

·
<---- my shop
1,297 Posts
It looks like a pinion shim.... do yourself a favor and unbolt the drive shaft from the pinion housing and check the pinion for in and out play. I found the same thing when I changed mine and the rear only lasted bout 500 more miles then ate up the pinion bearings.

·
Registered
124 Posts
and if your rear end blows its cheaper to buy a rear axle than take it to a shop to do it. Unless you know how to do it yourself.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
If mine blows. It would be time to figure out how to do it myself.

I learned how to rebuild a motor right after I blew one up.

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
It looks like a pinion shim.... do yourself a favor and unbolt the drive shaft from the pinion housing and check the pinion for in and out play. I found the same thing when I changed mine and the rear only lasted bout 500 more miles then ate up the pinion bearings.
:whs: No pun intended but if something does happen what an excuse for a Tru-Trac or other simular upgrade. :D

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
:whs: No pun intended but if something does happen what an excuse for a Tru-Trac or other simular upgrade. :D
Before you did that, you would have to replace the ring and pinion gears. That's the hard part of a rear differential. The rest is easy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts