Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 yamaha yfz 450 will not start. It cranks over but does not want to start.

so far today i have

-charged battery
-dumped old gas and put new in
-changed spark plug
-cleaned air filter

and it is still not starting? Anyone know anything about the yamaha yfz ?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont think its getting spark it is getting gas tho because we took the fuel line off and drained all the gas out of the tank

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The stator works as a altenator for your battery so that wont be you spark. you may have a busted spark plug wire but I doubt that. Just sittin there holdin the wire in your hand with no plug on it and turnin it over its not make a little clickin noise at all?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes there is a little clickin noise after i crank it it clicks but still trys to crank.

Just my luck everything i buy usally ends up breaking.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
well then your gettin spark. pull your carb and clean it like stated above then go get 2 gallons of 111 race fuel and mix it with 3 gallons of 91 octane. we had to do that with our race bikes every spring. it cleans em out

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so you guys think its just the carb is dirty or what.. The motor cranks and the battery makes a lil clickin noise

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
More then likely. especially if you didnt winterize it. change all the fluids and get some good stuff in there and she should fire right up. maybe also go have the valves shimmed and other than that you should be able to do the rest. on the yfz450 the hardest part to tune in on the carb is the pilot screw its really not bad it just gets frustrating. and you'll have to pull a little plug to get to it.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
put a sparkplug in the cap rest the plug on the motor to gound it and crank it over,you should see a nice fat blue spark,if yes then squirt a little fuel down the plug hole,if it fires and runs for a second or two then quits you have a fuel problem.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
put a sparkplug in the cap rest the plug on the motor to gound it and crank it over,you should see a nice fat blue spark,if yes then squirt a little fuel down the plug hole,if it fires and runs for a second or two then quits you have a fuel problem.
Good idea. When you do this however, pay attention as you may have flooded it and the spark may give you a pretty good size flash-up.

If it's flooded, you might also try holding the throttle wide open while kicking it (don't roll off the throttle until you have tried to start it 5 - 10 times). If it acts like it wants to start (turns over a little), keep doing it.

Another thing you might try is a little ether.

And be thankful that it isn't an old Ski-Doo snowmobile with Tillotsen carbs. They were notorious for needing to suck on the tube................ to get gas into the carb. :(

·
Registered
444 Posts
no clue never worked on a yfz but i know the ethanol is a joke!! i imagine just pull air box off and the the fuel line off and the the bowl off and the jets out and get some good carb cleaner not junk from wall mart get gum out or something not super tech or that junk also drain your gas out and don't forget to pinch the line so gas dont go all over, and tor spark just take the spark plug out and place the plug on something you can ground it to just set in on the head and turn it over so you can see if there is spark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts