Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

My truck's at the shop and bill at 7,400.

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  OneMore6o 
#1 ·
So I'm working in Clarksville Indiana and my truck started acting up by losing power. Paying attention to my livewire pids I noticed my ipr cycle would max out 84% when giving it throttle. I drove it for a few weeks and it got worse sometimes even dying on me. Then one morning it wouldn't start at all. Called a toe truck and had it hauled 80 miles to Harrodsburg Kentucky to LD'S Diesel. I told him while he was in there I wanted arp studs with oem gaskets, turbo cleaned and serviced, and redhead steering box. After putting a new ipr in he said the truck fired right up. After looking at my heads though he said they were toasted and would be better off putting reman heads on. Will this hurt anything since I'm not replacing anything on the bottom end?

New IPR
Cleaned and serviced turbo
Decarb/clean intake (Previous shop obviously didn't do when installing my egr delete)
Reman heads with 2 year warranty
Redhead steering box
ARP Studs with OEM Gaskets
EC1 Coolant
Install my already purchased coolant filter kit
Rotella Synthetic
Toe bill

Total with labor 7,400.
120,000 on the odometer.
Owned the truck for 5 months and gave 23,000 for it.
Anyone spare some lube please?

See less See more
#2 ·
id say you totally got the shaft on that deal......whats his labor rate and how many hours did he bill you for?! and how much did he charge for the heads?

we charge $3200 to raise the cab and do hg's and studs. that includes cleaning the turbo, intake, installing egr delete if cooler is still there. gearbox would take like 10 minutes to swap out with the cab off. and everything else is just changing fluids. granted the heads were probably at least $1000 a piece, but thats still a long way from $7400

#4 ·
I did forget to add a new oem oil cooler as well. The reman heads was 1,800. The toe bill was 300 and included with that price. I will find out Monday what he's charging an hour I didn't even ask. It should be ready Wednesday. Should I be worried about my bottom end with new heads? I'll get him to send me a list with pricing monday. Where is your shop located?

#9 ·
Thanks! That's what I was wondering. I will post the invoice in the next few days as soon as i get it. Yeah I'm kinda sick at what he said it will cost. Im going to let him know im posting the invoice on here with his business name behind it. Maybe that will pursue him to make sure hes charging me fair.

#13 ·
I wouldn't ever put a RedHead steering box on my truck. Seen waaaay to many posts from guys that had to replace multiple boxes. Do a search on this site and others.

#17 ·
Wtf!?!? Everyone loves their boxes and says they're a night and day difference over the ford box
You'll find that yes....AWESOME performance from the RedHead box. But the issue is having to install several boxes before a good one...then all.is.AWESOME. personally I don't think a guy should have to install but one box. My 02 has 641k on original box. Factory seems good enough to me.....on a stockish. size tire.

#12 ·
Dark Horse Diesel (Georgia)is charging $3600. Head gaskets(ford), APR studs, updates, oil cooler, turbo cleaning, oil, Motorcraft filters, heads sent out for checked/machining, coolant flush, coolant, and various other stuff. They fix it right. Drive it in/ drive it out.

#23 ·
Sounds like a good deal! I wish I would have known about them before taking my truck to lds, but what's done is done and I know he went through the extra steps to make sure it was all right. (Not saying Dark Horse doesn't they sound like a legit shop as well). I'll post the detailed invoice tomorrow.

#20 ·
Red Head has a better reputation than ANY of the common rebuilders out there and I speak from the experience of putting many gear boxes on all makes and models and the comebacks are far fewer with the Reds than any one else INCLUDING STOCK! Ignore the posts about Reds having to be changed repeatedly.... New factory boxes are OK but factory remans stink!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.