Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it say my truck is smoking white at idle and a good bit of white, the truck runs fine, no loss in power, no rough idle, no loss of coolant, oil seems fine. My injector where new from swamps 25,000 miles ago, i don't know what to think. Any help would be great, the smoke is the kind of smoke that makes your eyes water and your throat hurt if u inhale it, and it stinks. Any ideas???

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No just at idle warm or cold and only for the last week

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine does it only when it's cold out and not plugged in or sitting for a few days but stops once it's warmed up, this is normal right?
Mine smoked a little white in the winter but without the smell. Could bad fuel cause this?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might be a blown head gasket or water/coolant is getting into the cylinders somehow and the white smoke is the vaporization of coolant or water. Just a thought.
I had that thought as well but I'm not losing coolant

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I think that smell is unburned fuel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a duramax LB7 before my 7.3 and that white haze/smoke and smell was a tell tell sign of an injector problem.
Are you "making oil"? Is your oil level rising at all?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No oil levels are normal, I'm going to be putting a few hundred miles on it on Sunday pulling a trailer, I'll have to check everything after that see if I can't get some signs of an issue

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Any ccv mod..?
What does your blow by look like....ie un cap the oil with it in idle.
Did you mess with injector cups when you changed injectors.

Steady smoke or puffy

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
May want to google harbor freight compression mod..
basically a cheapo compression kit that wont fit our truck untill you buy a grease gun extension and one or two fittings.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
That is different ..most llikely that is just glow plugs.
or even the relay.

Smoke on a warm engine or when it is hot that doesnt go away..
is shot rings if it is blueish..worn injectors..antifreeze etc.

I dont know if a cracked cup smokes or just mixes fuel in the rez.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I've ran two tanks of fuel through my truck since I started this thread, I put lucas injector cleaner through it on both tanks and the smoke has cleared up. I honest think I just had bad fuel; time will tell, I think I'm going to do a oil anaysis and see if anything bad shows up.

To answer earlier question blow by seem normal, fluids are all still good after 700 miles. I also tried to do the habor frieght compression test deal when I put my injectors in but I couldn't get it to work right because of some time frame issues and I couldn 't find a fitting locally to make it work.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hope you got the problem figured out!
My '00 Superduty had 326K and was running well so when I found a '00 EX with only 150K for what I could sell my SD for I thought I'd found a great deal. EX did what you described; white smoke and stunk/burned eyes, figured injector o-rings so had shop put in a set of 160's (without first running compression test.) After install the problem persisted. Ended up being low compression in 2 cylinders due to shot rings, scored walls, etc (had been sitting for a few years and I'm guessing kids used starting fluid to get it running.)
Now I've got a rebuilt motor with only 100K but my wallet suffered heavily!
Wife says I'll be buried in the EX...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm still considering a compression test, my t case went out yesterday and before I spend money I'm going to make sure everything is okay

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Find the part online....
tranfercases can be had pretty darn cheap.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts