Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
StRoKeN LOL!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i noticed like a week ago that everytime i start it no longer makes that sound like the truck is "sucking in air" a few seconds after its started, but now it does it while im driving it sounds like an exhaust brake actually an it acts like one too, because it does kinda slow the truck down if i let off the pedal, it seems every time i let off the pedal it makes that noise while im driving, but if im going at a steady pace down the road an keep my foot of the pedal it wont do it but as soon as i let off it kicks in, an it also wont do it if im in cruise, any thoughts?? 96 f250 7.3

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
If it only does it when it's cold out, it's more likey normal (especially seeing where you're from). One thing you can try id cleaning out the EBP sensor tube that runs from the passenger side exhaust manifold (front part) up under the alternator to the sensor by the HPOP reservoir. It removes and snakes out fairly easily. It can get clogged with soot. You can clean it with some carb cleaner and some wire rope checked in a variable speed drill (sort of like a plumbing snake). See if the little bit left attached to the sensor is clogged too. Cleaning it out solved the problem with mine when it was coming on when I though it shouldn't. Cheers!

·
Registered
433 Posts
i disconnected mine and runs with problems.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
If it only does it when it's cold out, it's more likey normal (especially seeing where you're from). One thing you can try id cleaning out the EBP sensor tube that runs from the passenger side exhaust manifold (front part) up under the alternator to the sensor by the HPOP reservoir. It removes and snakes out fairly easily. It can get clogged with soot. You can clean it with some carb cleaner and some wire rope checked in a variable speed drill (sort of like a plumbing snake). See if the little bit left attached to the sensor is clogged too. Cleaning it out solved the problem with mine when it was coming on when I though it shouldn't. Cheers!
:whs:

There's a new video in the SD section on how to.
How to: Clean EBPS to gain lost MPGs (Video) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I had very similar symptoms. Cleaned the EBP sensor and tube and no more problems. BTW, even if the EBPV is disconnected, the sensor needs to be clean.

Lots of discussion on why you need to clean it here:
Why the EBPS/EBPV tube needs to be cleaned - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Best,
Jim

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
hendricksbus,

What kind of problems? Did you just diconnect the wiring for the EBPV solenoid, or the EBP sensor, or both? Cheers!

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
i disconnected mine and wired it up to a switch so i can use it as an exhaust break and it runs fine
Still gotta keep the sensor clean. From Matt at Gearhead Auto:

The EBP sensor does 3 main things.

1. Manages the warm up valve position via commanded backpressure.
2. Adds line pressure with drive pressure (to make more uniform shifts under varying loads). This is indirectly done via adding calculated torque which is multiplied by the shift and non shift slopes.
3. In stock-type tuning, limits fuel similar to the fuel limit via the map sensor.

If the sensor isn't working right, your truck is going to run like crap, unless you are running tunes and they tell the pcm to ignore it.

Best,
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts