Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pissed in your Cheerios..
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about 5 months ago I payed $300 to TS Performance and bought myself a shiny new TS 6 Position for my 02 Automatic.

Today, 2/19/14, I'm driving along and hit a pretty decent bump and boom, truck goes black, completely dead, also mind you it is 6-am and dark. :doh: I end up wiggling my chip and turn the key and the truck comes ALIVE! Happy me but concerned, I head to work, park, and call Thoroughbred Diesel at 8-am and they guy on the other end tells me pull the plug on that chip and send it into TS to get it tested ASAP.

Well I head over to the diesel mechanic on the other side of the parking lot, pull my PCM and the chip and re-install the chip (Drove truck over to shop). When I re-install the chip, nothing, dark... So i pull the PCM again and take out the chip completely and place it into my truck again. Nothing, nada, dark. So now I am sitting here with a dead Powerstroke and a $300 chip that will end up costing me $900 if I replace the PCM and Chip... ANYONE have any suggestions or a good place to shop for a PCM because i'm not excited to drop $600 on a new PCM from Ford after I just blew $1,850.20 on new Nittos and American Outlaws that I was going to get put on tomorrow...and now there's no point because there's no way to get the truck up there. LOL

Sorry for the long post but in need of the help. Thanks again guys. :bowfast::bowfast:

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
Look on eBay, look in the classifieds, call some site sponsors. Chip is prolly fine but since you didn't secure it properly it fried your pcm. If you call a site sponsor pick up a real air filter to replace that auto zone rice-a-roni thing you have now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Always duct tape the chip to the pcm so it don't vibrate loose.

·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does my air filter have to do with this? And Montgomery, I died have some pretty good tape on it, and a lot of it! Guy at TS told me that even it moving a bit could cause failure.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
I was just sayin its a piece of sh1t, thats all. If a couple hundred bones for a new pcm makes your cringe then how are you gonna feel when you dust an engine.

·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thank you for the advice but all we run at work in our tractors, mowers, trucks, UTV's is Spectre and we have never had problems. That's how I got turned onto the brand was via them and I love them. Most of the people I see around town have heard of the brand and haven't heard anything bad. I've heard some things about K&N and obviously every brand has their problems. But I see no sense in spending $300 on an air filter that acts the same way. Sorry.

·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I meant for a whole air system not filter lol sorry, but what makes that $30 filter different from my $30 air filter? I want to be convinced before I switch only because I like what I have and I'm just used to it you know.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
I actually run r2c filters, we run them on the mods and late models. 6637 is just a good inexpensive paper filter. Swamps just made 930 through a single 6637 and it'll filter better than any cotton gauze filter.

·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you like better?? Your R2C or the 6637?

·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you like better?

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
Umm they're both basically the same. But the r2c fits my air box well, but the 6637 is way easier to get a hold of. R2c can be tough to find if you don't know where to look

1 - 13 of 13 Posts