Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This truck is my family's only transportation, and is the only thing I have to take my father whom my wife and I take care of since his stroke in 2002. Ok, I'm sure this has been asked many times, but here it goes. We have a 2003 Ford F350 crew cab Super Duty dually 4X4 with a 6.0 "Powerstroke" lol with 133,628 miles. The truck starts and runs fine, then after it gets to operating temp. it will surge and cut out, surge and cut out and dies, (and sometime I can keep it from dieing if I feather the gas pedal) at any speed above 1700 rpm (50mph). It will sometimes just die with no warning at low speeds of about 25-30mph. Sometimes it will start right up, and sometimes it will need to crank for a little bit , nothing to long, just may not start immediatly. The first thing I did was replaced both fuel filters and changed my oil and filter, didn't change a thing. The truck is not producing any soft of hard codes. When I first got the truck it was already running like poo, so I took it to the stealer ship and they said I needed a new FICM and a ICP, the ICP was leaking a little bit of oil. When they gave me the cost for them to do this I about had a cow. I went home got on eBay and bought a used FICM for $100 with shipping and installed it myself, and I had a truck again that ran fine for a year or so, but I didn't get a new ICP, because it ran so good. Then the truck grelin reared it's ugly head and seemed to do the same thing as before, so I got on eBay and found a guy that rebuilds FICMs and warranties them for 5yrs and had a 100% feed back rating, and was only $189 (with exchange), so I bought it and it didn't help. I took it to a local diesel mech, he couldn't find anything, but did program the FICM to the truck, and told me he ran a oil and fuel pressure test and they both were well within specs, he also said he checked all the wiring harness and connectors and they looked fine. I took it to the stealer ship, they don't know, I took it to a shop that race and loves the 6.0, They told me I needed a new ICP and a IPR, so I bought them from the stealer ship and installed them, nothing changed, so I searched the web and found that maybe my batteries and alternator were weak, tested them and yes they were, so I put 2 1000 cranking amp with 850 cold cranking amp batteries, and a new high output alternater, (165amp) nothing changed. So, after new fuel filters, oil and oil filter, a new FICM, new ICP and IPR, and 2 new batteries, alternator, no codes, I, or anybody else just don't no what to do. Somebody Please help me! If you need more information, or need to talk to me over the phone we can do that, WHAT EVER IT TAKES!!!!!! I think I covered everything.
Oh, I did try a something a friend told me to do, and that was, to diconnect the exhaust to make sure the catalectic converter and or muffler was not plugged up, nothing changed, but I did like the way it sounds!!!!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
here s a bump man

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Acts and sounds like a wire harness problem. Start the vehicle and push and move the harness and plugs noting any changes in RPM's. Just because someone said they checked the harness dosen't make it true. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, but I checked the harness myself, and found no problems. I even checked on the price of a new harness, $761.00, and my local dealer has one in stock! I tried everything that all the forums I have read said to do. I've spent hours and hours on the web, talking to people hoping someone will have an idea that I haven't been told about or haven't done yet. Thanks for the reply! Any other sugestions,....anybody?

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
How did they test the fuel pressure? Did they hook up a mechanical gauge to the test port on the fuel bowl? There are no sensors from the factory to monitor fuel pressure so they cant just hook up a computer.

But in all honesty it sounds like its high pressure oil related. 03's dont have STC fitting or dummy plugs so rule those out. Were the standpipes ever changed? It is possible that the o-rings on them are worn. Could also be the d-rings on the high pressure oil rails where they go into the top of the injector... I just had a truck do this that would only start ice cold.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Replace your HPOP. 03's tend to do your signs and just die. Unlike the newer ones with orings etc. The pump is the give away most of the time.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I agree with the HPOP, surging and cutting out is usually caused by a HPO issue. Whether it is a leak or bad pump I cannot say for sure. But I would say 95% sure you need a new HPOP. Im not one to throw parts at a truck until it runs, but from experience with my truck and customers trucks I think that is your problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks pizza pig, I just got off the phone with a guy that was incharge of the (don't laugh) quality control at the Indianapolis plant. Joe said the same thing, he actually got fierd over this engine, because he was involved with trying to get them to change vendors that made the injectors, (which was Siemens) and oil rails, and told Ford his findings. Ford started to accept the engine minus the cost to replace the injectors and oil rails. After they fired him ,they hierd him back said he was right, but they would not change vendors. Thus starting the war between Ford and Navistar. Then Ford contracted Cat., and Cat built a new factory, and supplied Ford with the new injectors But anyway, I'm going to change all the o-rings on the oil rail and at each injector, and see what happens. Seems to be the lowest cost possible fix! I was told they checked it with a manual gauge, who knows what really happens to our vehicles behind closed doors. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all, I'm going to try the oil rings first, if that don't work I'll have to figure out how to get a new HPOP. I'll be back in acouple of days and let everybody know how the oil ring replacement went.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
if you dont mind going in there multiple times and want to do that... that could be a possible fix... could be the rings like i said, or as rescue and above said, the 03's are known for bad hpops and whats happening is a symptom of a hpop going bad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where is the best place, with the best price, with the best warranty to get a new or rebuilt HPOP? While I'm there, what else should I replace or upgrade? EGR delete, stud the heads, better oil cooler?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way, the truck will sit there and idle as long as there is fuel in the tank, and I have a 140gal fuel capacity, 100gal Kenworth tank in the bed, and a 40gal factory!

·
Registered
922 Posts
if it runs and starts up hot still then i doubt you have a HPO leak im thinkin that the HPOP is bad though. thats where i would start before the leaking

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If you get a scanner hooked up you can read your HPOP pressures. I have a bully dog guage that tells me mine goes up to 4000+ PSI If you get readings like that your pump is good!!! 03's are harder to change out the pump because you must remove the intake manifold. Test,verify,repair.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts