Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doin an engine swap in my 99.5..... I bought a 96 truck for parts which many of you now have peices of all over the country.... I have the donor and old engines stripped down and have started assembling.
I added some sound proofing to the firewall and the underside of the wiper cowl area. I removed the factory sound proofing panel in tact and will reinstall it over the stuff I added.
jjj 278.jpg

I've added a flip chip w swamps single shot tunes although I'm still shopping for injectors.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: swapping engines

Im jealous , ive been wanting to sound deaden the fire engine bay side for a while now ....

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

well I broke down and bought a parts washer today.... I was just too nervous about trying to make certain not one speck of grime ended up inside the hpop res or the front cover or the pan..... It's bad enough working without enough bench space to spread parts out... At least now I can get em clean without getting pneumonia at the car wash. lol

I bet oil dry dust finding its way into the oil side of my new injectors would be a less than ideal situation LOL

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Oh and BTW this is the first time I've had one of these engines down this far..... There's ALOT of crap bolted to these things.... I have two apart down to long blocks and I have parts EVERYWHERE! UGH

also I can hardly believe how much stuff ford changed for the SD.... Hech stuff that just doesn't make sense... Like the oil pickup... I can see updating the hpop res gasket and the way the front cover is cut for it but why change the pickup and the angle it bolts up to the cover...

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts

that sound barrier should help ALOT!! let us know

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

it's a lil scary tho... it will boil the diesel fuel if I don't have the pump putting a current on it..... a magnetic oil pan heater might be better..... it got it almost too hot to put my hands in in less than 2 hours

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

at least I'd get out of doing the rest of this swap.. LOL...

I should have the engine back together tomorrow... prolly ordering my injectors tomorrow too if I don't find used ones by then..

·
Registered
3,629 Posts

you didn't just drop a 120volt block heater in your parts washer and submerge the plug did you:eek:
that would be a great way to end up dead. and btw lots of older gfci outlets fail in the on position- ie they didn't shut off when the electronics no longer work and thus you aren't protected. stay safe

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

thanks for the heads up but no the electrical connection was above liquid level.... It's far from being ul approved tho. lol A magnetic oil pan heater would be MUCH safer.

I already got my timing cover back and installed. took .005 off of it and it looks like new. :D.... Oil pan going on next as soon as I look up torque specs on a few things inside. May have it ready to plop in the truck tomorrow.

here's the offending piston...... much less dramatic than I expected, rings disintegrated and lands broken..... wierd.... never seen anything like it
jjj 280.jpg jjj 281.jpg
Also would like to find a used fpr seat in good shape... mine has a crack in it
jjj 279.jpg jjj 282.jpg

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I made a new ebp tube.... I have the engine assembled and dropped into the truck.... I hooked up just enough stuff to fire it up for a few seconds..... sure was nice to here it make noise again..... will put truck together tomorrow and should have my single shots in a few days woohoo

1 - 20 of 160 Posts