Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 1096 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I finally have parts arriving and the truck pulled into my garage. (Well, mostly) I hope to give good info to those down the same path and get help from you all if I'm doing something wrong. I'm also going for the cheapest build in history!!!

The build is on a late 99 F-250 crew cab 4x4 that I bought with 98k miles for $10k. No rust, no dents, runs terrific!

Here's the truck in the garage. Like I said, mostly. I have it pretty air tight though.

Disassembly. I'll say this, the passenger valve cover and the uppie collector vband clamp never get any easier to pull off. First time or 100th time!!!

I'll start with my parts list. (Basically my sig)

GT4294- Its a junkyard special I got off an old semi motor for $350. The compressor wheel was shredded and it had 1.28 AR wastegated housing. So I finally found and ordered a new wheel and found a Precision .98 AR turbine housing that has been ceramic coated. While its apart I bought a rebuild kit. I could have built my own mounting kit but I don't really have the time. So I bought one from Irate Diesel. Total turbo cost-$1,939

910 springs, ARP headstuds, high strength chromoly pushrods- I had a couple spare engines setting and ran across an ad on Swamps website. So after store credit for 2 sets of injectors I got this for a grand total of $179!

Stealth SRP1 from Irate Diesel. I still have to pull my hpop and send it in so ill get some pics of that up later.

250cc/200% injectors, Modded IDM, and Tuning- I will be ordering that from beans when I get the rest of the parts put in and when funds allow. Selling my spare motors and some miscellaneous parts should put me around $900 for that stuff. (Still need to sell my 95 motor and late 99 turbo and intake)

AEM Water/Meth- I picked it up for $250 and it had a 5 gallon tank.

Guages- An edge came with the truck so I sold it to buy my guages and pillar straight across. Another freebie!

Tranny- I have a friend who builds trannies and he says this one wont ever break. Yeah right! I guess we'll play it by ear. So far the cost is $2,300.(free labor)

Intake- The truck came with a k&n fipk so the intake tube is free. I bought a 6637 from ####raff diesel for $69 but sold my old wicked wheel and turbomaster wastegate to a friend...hmm. I actually made money! +$31

4" Turbo back exhaust- Came on the truck

DIY 2 stock pump fuel system- I'm not sure the total yet but I have a good spare. The cost will be in the lines.

Misc.- My AIH Delete and CCV mod were both free diy mods. As are drilling the banjo bolts and building my traction bars.

Well there you go guys. Ill keep updating if you keep me on the straight and narrow!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: My official 600hp build thread

Well stay close cause its my dd and I need it back quick! Lol! I hope to have it done in the next 3 weeks!

Also I forgot to post the cost total. Here's why im doing that. It really rubs me wrong when I hear this, "7.3l Powerstrokes suck because it costs so much to make power." Well I don't think I'll be hearing that again!

Build total-$6,268
Total including cost of truck-$16,268

·
Registered
4,865 Posts

Looks great. You set a good goal. On the top end but still possible. With selling stuff you are keeping your costs lower. If I may suggest you should separate what the actual build itself is costing versus what you are actually out of pocket. I think it will be good for people to see the actual total cost of the parts you have purchased and then what you did to offset some of that cost to make it all more affordable and stretch your $$.

Anyways I look forward to see it. Actually right in the middle of something very similar. Only a couple differences in a few parts. Hopefully everything should be in within a couple more days. Under the valve covers got finished last night/this morning; they just need to be buttoned up. On to the next part.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Its an incredibly strong truck to begin with. With just a ts 6pos, exhaust, k&n intake, and TM wastegate I got 280rwhp on the dyno. Pretty good I think. 550-575 would satisfy me, but like you said, 600 is a good high achievable goal. If I have to do some tweakin somewhere to get it I will. Nothing injected though other than water. Also I really don't want to pull the heads. And who knows, maybe a couple years from now I'll build the bottom and spray my way to 1000! Hahahahaha!

That's a pretty good idea. I'll do that when im done with the build. Should be a great comparison.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts

I agree no reason to pull the heads given your goal and what you would be happy with. Hell, after these head studs I honestly am questioning their real "need" with our decade long cured head or block seals. Very good decision to go water only IMO. I will be doing the same with a 2 stage cooling mist setup. I have been recommended to make sure to run a water soluble oil in there at all times. The kind use for machining.cutting with mills lathes CNC etc.. Since I use schaeffers for my lube I will add their version to my orders but I think any would do.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I would like to stay water only but winter makes it hard. Honestly I don't see why in the winter you couldn't do say 10% meth. Keep it from freezing but not enough to dramatically increase cp.

I hadn't heard about the oil. What % mixture?

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts

Sounds like an awesome build! I'm tuned in on this.

·
blackbetty13
736 Posts

nice im going the same route i got my gt4294 sitting in the computer room im just waiting on springs and rods

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Vanderchevy18 so what kind of semi did you find that turbo in? Are they found in most older trucks? Is it easy to find parts for the gt4294?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Vanderchevy18 so what kind of semi did you find that turbo in? Are they found in most older trucks? Is it easy to find parts for the gt4294?
I don't remember the truck brand but it came off a detroit 60 series motor. The parts aren't the easiest to find but I did. The compressor wheel was the hardest. I finally found some mom and pop place on the internet to get it. The rebuild kit was from dhgate.com. I just googled gt4294 rebuild kit. I found a t6 housing from a google search but it was $300 and skav on here pm'd me with a great offer for the one im getting.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

I don't remember the truck brand but it came off a detroit 60 series motor. The parts aren't the easiest to find but I did. The compressor wheel was the hardest. I finally found some mom and pop place on the internet to get it. The rebuild kit was from dhgate.com. I just googled gt4294 rebuild kit. I found a t6 housing from a google search but it was $300 and skav on here pm'd me with a great offer for the one im getting.
Okay thanks just wanted to know just incase I run across any . Is there anumber on the turbo to identify it's a gt4294?

That about my goal of HP so I will watching

Thanks

·
blackbetty13
736 Posts

jake does great work ive got some in the mail

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts

No definately do not take the heads off. Just stud that thing and be done with it.

Awesome build, and I will be following too. I would love to do this exact build myself.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Okay thanks just wanted to know just incase I run across any . Is there anumber on the turbo to identify it's a gt4294?

That about my goal of HP so I will watching

Thanks
Honestly? That was the hard part. Identifying the turbo. I just happened to run across it and it looked huge. Then i found out what it was after hours of digging and a few phone calls(and a thread on here finally got it figured out:psn:) Ill put up a pic of the bearing housing to give you some numbers. Give me a sec.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I pulled the hpop with the fuel bowl still in. Harder but I wanted to try it.

Got the covers off too.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Yes it is. That was all that was on the turbo to identify it.

1 - 20 of 1096 Posts