Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck died on me yesterday. Seemed like it ran out of fuel, so I got a push into the station, put $50 worth of diesel in it. Pulled fuel filter, topped off bowl, cranked, pulled filter again and cranked to watch the bowl fill up. Triple checked all fuses, swapped cps with a buddy that is known working. Did have a p340 code, which led me to believe cam sensor. I've swapped batteries from a known good truck too. Checked cps wiring harness all the way up to the hpop res, all looked good. Cranked with icp unplugged, no start. Low pressure oil gauge comes up, while cranking truck builds over 3000 psi icp, hpop res is full, ipr hits 45 percent dc cranking, 15 percent koeo. Replaced ipr pigtail, wait to start light comes on, etc.... I'm not new to the 7.3, hell I used to work on them daily, but I'm stumped. Truck had been sitting for 4-5 years, I bought it and drove it home about 30 miles no problem, and probably put 15 miles on it after that. Like I said, it seemed like it ran out of fuel, I shifted from 1st to 2nd, seemed to bog down, shifted to 3rd and died. Any ideas obs guys?

Before truck got parked 4-5 years ago, it got 8 new injectors, new mechanical fuel pump, new idm, and iirc new uvch's. i do get smoke from the tailpipe while cranking too.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
does it seem like the tach doesnt move enough? i realize its reading high, but thats my fault for pulling the needle off the cluster when i armoralled the cluster face to make it look like new again.

368 Posts
Does it smoke while cranking? Did you check under the fuel bowl for leaks? My guess is you either have a fuel leak or your fuel pump went bad after sitting so long. I'd check fuel pressure at least

·
STILL LEARNING
18,328 Posts
I would disconnect GP relay and give it a whiff of ether

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes it smokes while cranking, no i dont have any fuel or oil leaks. like i stated, the bowl fills while cranking with the filter out of it, but i have not yet put a gauge on the schrader valve to check pressure. a new pump was installed before it got parked, so i doubt thats the problem. im not saying its not the problem, but the truck drove fine for the 50 ish miles ive put on it, then all the sudden its like it ran out of fuel... tomorrow after i get off work i will check fuel pressure

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But also fuel pressure is something to look at too
i know i know. i got frustrated this afternoon and gave up for the day after doing all the normal 7.3 checks i know of. i will check fuel pressure sometime this week and report back. like i said, the fuel pump on the truck was installed back 4 or 5 years ago, and aside from being driven around the yard, the truck hasnt had 50 or so miles put on it since the pump, injectors, and idm were replaced. i understand the pump could have failed, but seems unlikely. the bowl does fill while cranking with the filter out, but me not being familliar with how quick an obs fuel pump will fill the bowl, im not sure if its good or not. ive worked on hundreds of super duty 7.3's, but only 3 or 4 obs's

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Your fuel bowl heater isnt broken is it? Dont really sound like it the way you explain but its worth a look while you have the fuel filter out.if it grounds against your fuel bowl it will shut you down.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your fuel bowl heater isnt broken is it? Dont really sound like it the way you explain but its worth a look while you have the fuel filter out.if it grounds against your fuel bowl it will shut you down.
Its unplugged at the outside of the bowl, and the fuse is good. Definitely not the problem

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Idk, gauge acts up. I put $50 worth of fuel in the front tank once we got it pushed into the fuel station, I was thinking it could have ran out of fuel. Before it shut off, I never touched the tank selector. I did flip it briefly and cranked on it, but didn't do anything, so flipped back to front tank.

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
I always have atleast a quarter of a tank in either tank for just in case moments.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts