Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got sick and tired of the crummy headlights on my 05' F250 and decided to upgrade the bulbs to some LED's. I did some research, and found some on Amazon that had great reviews, and looked pretty good. I think they were around $70...so not cheap.

I put them in tonight, turned them on...and WOW, they were awesome! They put out so much more light, it was great! So then I fired up the truck and took it for a drive....so much better than before! But then I get home, and after I turned the lights off, I left the truck idling (was hooking up a trailer to move it around)....and I noticed that when the lights were turned OFF....I could see them blinking/flickering a little bit. I turned them back on....and I noticed that even when they were on, they were flickering just slightly. I turned them on and off a couple of times, and sometimes I could get them to turn on and not flicker...and other times they would. Even wit the truck not running, sometimes both flickers when the lights are on, sometimes just one flickers. Very random.

Did I just get a bad set of LED lights? I saw some "anti-flicker" harshness on amazon....would those fix the problem? Or should I just returns them?

Any help would be great! Thanks!!!!

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,410 Posts
I dunno, but I know $70 is on the cheaper side for aftermarket lights. At least what I have seen, I suppose.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I will just return them and try a different brand of them? Do they make any standard halogen type bulbs that are any brighter then the OEM bulbs?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had some cheap ones from flee bay that did kinda the same thing. With the truck off they worked fine, once I started the truck they would blink on and off, tried resistors, anti flicker caps, even hooking up directly to the battery with a relay, nothing helped. I ended up sending them back and buying a different set, haven't had any issues in months.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Instead of rolling the dice on another set of LED headlight bulbs that may, or may not work correctly.......what about a brighter set of Halogen bulbs? Something like these Sylvania XZE bulbs? Would they be close to the same light output as the LED bulbs? Or are LED's much brighter?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Most LEDs aren't really brighter.
Somewhat of a optical illusion, if you will.
I've ran the xtravision before. Brighter than stock. Decent life.
Silver stars, never ran them myself, but seem to burn out quickly. And I don't like the blue look.
Ran the ultra in our Jetta, iirc. They were decent as well.
No experience with the zxe, but I wouldn't he afraid to try them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
***UPDATE***

Well, I got the new Beamtech LED bulbs in yesterday. They work great!!! No flicker at all, they world like they are supposed to. I didn’t need any type of anti-flicker harness….just plugged them right into the oem bulb plug.

They have a great pattern, are MUCH brighter than the standard halogen bulbs that were in there, and the high-beams work great! I’m very happy with them…..I would recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade the lighting on their Superdutys. It’s a night and day different compared to the bulbs that were in there.

And they were only $38 a set off of Amazon.

·
Administrator
8,414 Posts
That is $39 for one light, rite? when ordering you need to order 2?
it is kind of misleading cause they show two lights with the box in one picture, but only one light on the cover of the box.

·
Native Texan
9,051 Posts
it is kind of misleading cause they show two lights with the box in one picture, but only one light on the cover of the box.
They come in pairs only thing I don't see is that they are DOT Approved. guess I'm just a stickler for that having driven over the road so much and dealt with DOT before.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
TSGT Bob W Martin USAF 1948-2014

·
Native Texan
9,051 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a pair of bulbs for $39....two in the box.

DOT approved? Beats the hell out of me. I've had them in for a week now, and I've never had anyone flash their brights at me to let me know that they are too bright. The pattern is very controlled, it's not scattered like when you put an HID bulb into a standard halogen housing.

I've never been, or even heard of anyone being pulled over and had their headlight bulbs checked to make sure they are DOT approved............I think you have more of a chance of getting hit with lightening than having that happen.

All I know is that for $39, these bulbs are great! I can see so much better while driving at night now......they really light up the road.

·
Native Texan
9,051 Posts
Its not a matter of brightness. Dot approval is the same as having electronics that have been tested for safety. It mean that they are approved for road use and are deem safe. U get in an accident and ur bulbs explode and causes a fire that injures people then u will probably get to met those wonderful dot agents that u speak of. Or there are states that require all truck over a certain size to stop at the weigh stations and they have the power to inspect ur truck if they are so inclined. So U want to roll the dice then more power to ya I have been thru to many weigh stations and dealt with dot on accident scenes Its not going be me on the receiving end over my head lights.

"Y'all have a wonderful"

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its not a matter of brightness. Dot approval is the same as having electronics that have been tested for safety. It mean that they are approved for road use and are deem safe. U get in an accident and ur bulbs explode and causes a fire that injures people then u will probably get to met those wonderful dot agents that u speak of. Or there are states that require all truck over a certain size to stop at the weigh stations and they have the power to inspect ur truck if they are so inclined. So U want to roll the dice then more power to ya I have been thru to many weigh stations and dealt with dot on accident scenes Its not going be me on the receiving end over my head lights.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
Not that I'm doubting your expertise when it comes to the DOT.......but are you telling me that the DOT has a crack team of CSI techs that they send out to every car crash and goes through every light bulb, every accessories, everything that could have the possibility of not being DOT approved in order to stick you with a huge fine? They will go through the time to analyze glass shards, and headlight bulb housings in order to find out if a fire could have been started buy someones non-DOT approved headlight bulbs? What about a non-DOT approved blinker bulb? What about a non-DOT light bar? What about a non-DOT approved accessories that you wired up to your truck?

The whole thing just doesn't make sense. You get in a wrenck with your 8,000lb truck.....and the DOT is going to show up and make sure a non-DOT approved part didn't hurt someone? Really?

Give me a break......

I'd be 10,000 times more worried about getting caught with a non-EPA approved Exhaust, or non-EPA approved Tuner, or any of the other things guys do to these trucks that are obviously non emissions legal......but a non-DOT approved light bulb? Come on......I don't buy it.

But hey...I'm no expert. :wink:

·
Native Texan
9,051 Posts
well you do what you want but I have dealt with DOT many times over the years. And if you don't want to believe they don't do investigations then more power to ya.

"Y'all have a wonderful"

·
Administrator
8,414 Posts
i have dealt with way too many DOT investigations too. especially from fatal accidents. 99% of the time they take the vehicle apart and check every bolt for tightness and correct spec. same for lights, and wire size. if anything is out of place, all hell breaks loose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had bought some, they flickered, then found a component that plugged in line with the lights and fixed the flicker. I think it was some kind of capacitor. I will try and look it up again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts