Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a trip yesterday about 130 miles one way. I went the speed limit 75 and some in town driving (15 miles tops) and got 15.3 mpg. I followed some slower trucks home and stayed between 68-70 mph all highway and got 19.3 mpg. I got just over 18 when I brought it home a couple weeks ago. The only thing I have done to it was put an ARE cold air intake on. This is a 2002 F250 4x4 EC SB 7.3 296500 miles. I was told it was all stock but the transmission has been worked on. I went to service it and after spinning the torque converter several times, found there was no drain plug. It sucks for me because I wanted the serviceability of the '02 model. This is my first diesel so I am learning slowly.

I was wondering if this converter has something to do with the mileage I have been getting? What converter would be used to replace the stock converter?

Take care.

·
Because I can!!!
1,573 Posts
Mpg sound about right if your on stock size tires with a higher gear ratio. I've gotten 16mpg with 410 gears,35in tires and a 5spd at 75 mph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a lot of friends that were very impressed but after reading some of the stickies, I agree with you it is right where a stock truck should be.

·
7,985 Posts
is that with the overhead lie-o-meter, or hand calculated MPG?
the overhead is notoriously wrong, usually reading 4-5 MPG high.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is that with the overhead lie-o-meter, or hand calculated MPG?
the overhead is notoriously wrong, usually reading 4-5 MPG high.
I do not have the lie-o-meter in my truck. It is all stock except for the intake, tires included. It was all hand calculated. Unless the odometer is bad, the numbers are good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have also found that after 8-02 the torque converter had no drain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts