Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult are parts to get, really? My 94 F250 Turbodiesel truck has low miles and runs great. What is that chp Thing that people talk about that needs replaced sometimes? Should I buy one to keep on hand? Will the Ford dealer work on my truck? It was hard to start when the mornings got cold and (they said tested glow plugs and were fine) so they bypassed the ignition computer and put in a push button and new harness/ relay. Still wouldn’t start then said the glow pugs were now bad. Replaced those and now it starts. All good, but I I wonder if 1994 is too much of a classic to get fixed in Central Oregon anymore.

Also, my passenger side towing mirror is the WORST and I have no idea how to take it off to replace it.

·
PSN intsigator
7,492 Posts
First off welcome to the nation.

You said they bypassed the ignition computer? Is this a California emissions truck? Those can be very expensive. These trucks are not that bad to work on. A little searching on here, Google, and some aftermarket websites you can find almost all the answers you will need.

·
Administrator
761 Posts
welcome to psn.
#1 FIND A NEW MECHANIC!!!
the IDI diesel is the easiest to work on because there is only one wire needed for it to run, the power to the fuel shutoff switch. people are afraid to touch them because they can not plug a computer in and read what is wrong.
try to get them to remove their butchery and redo the wiring back to stock.
also have them remove the garbage glow plugs that were put in and put the proper Motorcraft ZD-9 glow plugs in. the aftermarket ones they put in will burn out within a few starts leaving where you were before they mangled your truck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Check out Classic Diesel Designs for parts and advice. Check out Oulburners dot net for a forum of helpful IDI owners. My 91 7.3 is still going strong on the original engine, drive it at least twice a week. Turbocharged since new.
And find another mechanic. Maybe someone who works on older farm and construction equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts