Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 669 Posts

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
My name is Justin, Im friends with NMB2. Im one of the other guys that was "displaced" from Oilburners for thinking too much outside of the box. I have a 89 F250 Supercab 4x4 gasser/7.3 IDIT conversion in progress.

Specs are going to be as follows:

Stock 7.3 IDIT shortblock
Cam (1 of 2 Im currently looking at)
Stock heads
ARP head studs/Coated FelPro HG's, Overtorqued
ATS/Factory Turbo hot side, ceramic coated/wrapped
Borg-Warner/Schwitzer/CAT S300 65/65/14 Turbo, water cooled
NMB2's DPS Turbo Calibrated IP
DPS stage 1 Injectors
7.3 PSD IC, Fabbed intake HAT
3.5" DP to 4" straight pipe
20+ PSI and Hopefully 300+/500+ at the wheels

Here is some pics:

I had a lot more info, but I got signed out and lost all that I wrote... This should do for now, its late, Ill elaborate later...

More soon.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sounds like a good build. Where you getting cams?

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just down at Delta camshaft today and talked with them. Came up with a dual pattern cam that should wake the turbo up a little earlier and just overall out perform the stocker... And no, its not the "Type4" cam. I dropped off my cam while I was there, and they should have it done early next week.

The inside of my engine looks awesome, even the water jackets are in excellent shape.

I was toying with the idea of pulling the valves out and doing a little clean-up of the ports while I had the heads off, and if I end up swapping valve springs, I might just do that. I might toss some PSD springs on just to keep things tight on the upper end...Last thing I want to do on this engine is to float the valves into the pistons with this cam. I havent decided what Im going to do yet though, The valvetrain might just stay stock.

When I have some stuff thats worth taking pics of, Ill post them for sure.

·
loud and long
567 Posts
I put all Hypermax stuff on mine...since I am friends with the owner;) I was making around300 ho so u should be well above that I would hope

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have spent about $2750 on the engine alone, including the engine/trans/Xcase/conversion stuff. I have spent another close to 1500 on the interior and misc truck parts.

I still have to buy NMB2's pump off of him, and spend another ~$300 on injectors, as well as the cost of the ceramic coating.

Over all though, when this truck is on the road, it should be a pretty good bang for the buck... Especially after paying over 20K for an 05 ranger that I dont really want over the last 6 years...

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
not too often you see an IDI build. Good luck with it.. Im gonna watch this one.

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys.

So just so you guys dont think Im slackin, here is my engine as of this afternoon...

Im kinda held up by my decision on the valvesprings right now though...

More soon.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Is there any way to check the cylinder walls in the 7.3 for the dreaded cavatation? It would SUCK to do all that work only to have it cavatate a year later.

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only for sure way is to sonically check the block as far as I know, and Im not going to tear it down any further, so thats out of the question. First thing I looked at when I got it down far enough was the water jackets though, and they look better than I could possibly imagine, so I think im in the clear as far as cavitation erosion is concerned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
why have you decided against the hy35? did you figure the hotside to be a bit small? just curious, I was debating an hy to at one time as well....instead i went with an h1c with a 14cm2 housing....seems to work well but still a little laggy for me..

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only reason I didnt go with the HY is because yes I thought the exhaust size was a bit small, and I really wanted the 12cm HX... but mainly because I was offered $300 for the turbo and I took it. For what I got my Brand new S300 for, It is more than worth a little bit of lag, and even then, I think the wheels are a bit better than the holset, PLus I have room to grow ;)... so overall, I think Ill be in good shape

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The only reason I didnt go with the HY is because yes I thought the exhaust size was a bit small, and I really wanted the 12cm HX... but mainly because I was offered $300 for the turbo and I took it. For what I got my Brand new S300 for, It is more than worth a little bit of lag, and even then, I think the wheels are a bit better than the holset, PLus I have room to grow ;)... so overall, I think Ill be in good shape
considering the S364 will fire off as fast, if not faster than the HX35, lag is not a concern now, if it wasn't before.

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I ordered some comp 910 springs today, so the valves will be coming out. If the ports deem themselves less than desirable, Ill bust out the die grinder and make sure I take plenty of pics....

So next week should see some decent progress...Ill have the cam back and my springs probably on the same day, Im hoping to get the engine most of the way back together (aside from the fuel system). Then I have to come up with about $700 dollars for my fuel parts... Should be fun.

·
Banned
226 Posts
subscribing to thread..

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
glad to see you made it over here justin! good luck with the build!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Do you plan on intercooling or water/methanol like NMB2?

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys.

Intercooling is for sure, already have the PSD IC. The water/meth setup is something im looking into as well. NMB2 found a nice setup for a good price and Im looking to pick one up also.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Water/methanol seems like a good way to go. I've heard good things about it. I can't wait til I get my truck here to Cali and put that on as well as do my other mods.

1 - 20 of 669 Posts