Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the bumpers I've been building over the past month. Finally got them installed a couple days ago. Sort of proud of myself. Started out as a project just to see if I could do it. Used nothing more than a welder, plasma cutter, and a grinder. They aren't perfect by any means, but I think they turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
666 Posts
nice work..

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Nice job. I like the design.

·
Registered
450 Posts
those are real nice, get a patent and make some money. i would buy them at a reasonable cost.

·
Nonsense specailist
223 Posts
Very nice. How did you get the edges so clean? Did you use bondo or something?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Those are nice. How long did it take you to make them?

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. They really weren't that hard to make. We process steel sheet here, so I just had them shear the pieces to the width I needed, then cut them to length with the plasma. Get your angles right, tack it all together, then weld her up.

For the seams.... I just welded inside and outside, then used a 80 grit flap wheel to grind it down smooth, then switch to 120 grit to really blend and smooth it all out. There were a few pin holes scattered around some of the welds that I just filled with bondo.

I think it took me roughly 8-10 hours to fab each bumper, then about half that in prep. Paint too me forever. I'm not a painter, never claimed to be. I think I painted and stripped them 3 times before I got it right. Used farm and implement enamel. Wanted something a little thicker and harder since they were bumpers.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I took care of your other thread since you didn't need it.

BTW that front bumper is sweet! How thick is the steel & about how much would you guess it weighs?

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks man!

I used 3/16" plate for both front and rear. I know most fronts that you can buy are out of 1/4", but I wasn't going to add tow hooks or a receiver or anything, so went with 3/16" to cut down on the weight. If I had to guess, i'd say it weighs about 150lbs maybe. It's not that heavy at all. I was able to pick it up and carry it around by myself.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
those are sweet i say start producing them things and make some $$.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had a couple different people want me to make them a set, but I made them here at my current job in my spare time. Thing about that is that I'm about to lose this job in about a month. I don't have the resources or the material to do this at home. I can get the material else where I'm sure, but I just don't have the space.... small house/lot. I'd have to do it in the garage, and my wife is already fussy about all the crap I have in there now! All of the steel I got from here for free! I have a welder at home, but no plasma/torch to do the cutting needed.

·
Registered
450 Posts
sell the design, you dont need any space to do that. all you need is a mail box too collect the checks. they would sell, and i would buy a pair.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not really "my" design. I just copied one of BuckStop's designs. Was browsing around different companies looking for ideas and I liked their design better than the others (FabFours, Road Armor, etc).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts