• I think it is legit and the OP means to do the Build

Votes: 34 41.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
701 - 720 of 731 Posts

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
I would have that head checked out for cracks and replace all the valves on that hole.
:whs: that head may look ok but it has been hammered. At least get it checked.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
No doubt about it. That piston needs to be replaced. DO NOT put that back in there. I'm afraid you may need a head too with the damage that piston has to it.
I already bought another Piston... Just need to wait for it to get here.....

The piston has a light hair line crack down the side closet to the nut...

the head is good. There really is not even a mark on it.. The piston took the blunt of it.. Cast head verses aluminum piston that had 900 to 1300 degrees pumped to it help the nut just sink right into it...

I would have that head checked out for cracks and replace all the valves on that hole.
Both the head and valve look great. infact if I would not have seen the piston that came out of the hole i would not have even known it happened...
The glow plug that sticks about 1/4 of a inch into the piston was not even touched.. the piston took the blow... the rest looks good

I am just changing the piston and that is it...

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #703
:whs: that head may look ok but it has been hammered. At least get it checked.
The head is good... I got lucky there... I have seen this happen to other engines. And it never messed the head up... Pu it this way when i saw the piston I could not believe the head looked like it did... Injector nozzle never got touched nor did the glow plug..

i am going to just change the piston and rings and run it.. I have another engine I am going to build with billet rods. I am not worried about ti...

·
Registered
857 Posts
dang... did you notice that right on start up? or did u drive it at all?

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
dang... did you notice that right on start up? or did u drive it at all?
I got about 75 miles on it before it happened.. I was just "idling" down the road @55 MPH @ about 1250 to 1300 RPMs.. When it started. I was like.. NO you are kidding me!! My first thought was injectors. Then I thought it might be a rod.. Then with testing and a lot of thinking I pinned it to a nut i dropped. Then i took it apart and found the nut in the piston.. It could be a lot worse then it is. BUT I am glad it is not!

@jopes.
I got to think about the valves like you mentioned so I checked them out again They both seal and open and close fine.. But to be on the safe side i am going to pull them both out and check them over... Would be a lot easier now then a couple hundred miles down the road and have one go out on me!!!
I will let you know what I find...

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
A wise choice I would imagine the nut had to dance a while on the valve before it dropped in...maybe not.. Definatly got pounded by the piston a few times before it got imbedded...

Wonder if your oil tests show a little added wear...Lol

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I am with you on it though.. Where do you draw the line ....yes shavings could get in the bearings dings in the head etc.. Did rod get stressed etc...no end to what if questions

If it was me I would look over the head..valves etc.. Drop in a new piston.. And try it

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
I am with you on it though.. Where do you draw the line ....yes shavings could get in the bearings dings in the head etc.. Did rod get stressed etc...no end to what if questions

If it was me I would look over the head..valves etc.. Drop in a new piston.. And try it
That spells out the plan pretty good.. I even have a set of forged rods I could steel one out of if need be.. Just cant find a place to by the valves separate. They all seem to come in sets of 8.. The valves seem to be good but will still pull both in that jug to see what they look like..

Will keep thing updated as I go..

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Haha! Wow! That is actually incredibly funny! You know the engine I just pulled to replace with the built engine? That is EXACTLY why I decided to go ahead and get the new engine. I dropped a nut into the intake plenum without realizing it, and did some damage. It went through the valve, busted the valve, beat up the piston, bent the glow plug, and a piece of the exhaust valve messed up a couple fins on my GTX turbine wheel. I'll toss in a new piston, different head, and stick it back in another one of my trucks. That's just funny that we both did the exact same thing. Lol!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
If you need a couple valves holler at me. I have a box of em. Lol!

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
Haha! Wow! That is actually incredibly funny! You know the engine I just pulled to replace with the built engine? That is EXACTLY why I decided to go ahead and get the new engine. I dropped a nut into the intake plenum without realizing it, and did some damage. It went through the valve, busted the valve, beat up the piston, bent the glow plug, and a piece of the exhaust valve messed up a couple fins on my GTX turbine wheel. I'll toss in a new piston, different head, and stick it back in another one of my trucks. That's just funny that we both did the exact same thing. Lol!
LOL Yes it is funny!! Sounds like yours did a lot more to it then mine did!!
WOW it really messed yours up! My valves do not even have a mark that I could see on them! just a slight and i mean slight ding in the head where the nut hit.. It was a soft low grade nut that had the nylon self locking threads. So shall i so it flattened pretty easy!

If you need a couple valves holler at me. I have a box of em. Lol!
I will keep this in mind! I am going to pull the valves and check them over. The nut never touched the glow plug or the injector nozzle.

The only thing it did was become one with the piston.. I just think I have a neat paper weight there...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I have a couple paper weights myself. Lol! One is a broken piston that the guy kept running his engine after it broke for a couple thousand miles. It just looks like a beat up disk of aluminum. Another is a valve cover that a glow plug shot through. Of course, I also have the chunk of block and the broken piston from when I windowed my last block.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Oh, and a compressor wheel that hewed up a rubber hose. Yeah I have a wall of destruction. Every time I work on an engine and find something spectacular like that I hang it on my wall of destruction. Lol!

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
I wonder about that to PowerstrokeJunkie. i would think it would do something!

Sounds like you have a little collection going on Chris!! You got me beat!! All i have is a broken rocker arm, and now this piston. AND I hope that will be the end for now!!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I don't even keep broken rocker arms anymore. Haha!

Too bad you weren't closer. I have 4 extra sets of heads too. If I were you I would toss another head on if I had it. Just to be safe. If you don't have one, it isn't that big of a deal though.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #719
I have two heads.. just saving them for the "build".. The head looks good after seeing th piston I was surprised the head looked like it did..

O well If the weather is nice next weekend I should have it back together and ready to go in the pickup. Or i hope it is sitting in with the front getting put back together.

Right now it is snowing and blow pretty good. It as hard to see!

701 - 720 of 731 Posts