Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
not sure what to put here
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its happend...yet another young man behind the wheel of an amazing truck.

3 days ago got my first truck...very first...now that we are on the same page (yes yall can now flashback to the very first day yall got ur first truck)

1991 F250 Lariat 7.3 IDI...in pretty much perfect condition with only 118k miles

Now i have been drooling over this machine yet i feel horribly out classed by newer and more modded trucks and would very much appreciate any help i can get...i have already looked around the forums alot and got alot of info but i would like if someone or multiple ppl could give me insight on what to buy, where to buy (all performance parts for now) it and maybe a link to how to install but i think i can handle most installs...i have friends in PA that all drive diesel trucks and are earger to help.

Thanks so much for what the forums have available and thanks befor i get any replys

PS: i have already read up on banks and i believe hypermax turbos for my year and model...so turbo is already answered for

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
try and look into swamps....:ford:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Welcome to the nation and congrats on your truck! Im currentlty on my 6th truck in 8yrs I think....ive lost count.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
You're alway going to be under powered! But aren't we all? Even the guy with the 800hp daily driver wants more. You have to take stock in what you have and be satisfied with what it can do.

You're truck if properly equipt will make about 230-250 reliably. B4 you throw-up consider this. Most trucks you see are more concerned about Rolling Coal than pulling or working. A 230hp IDI is a good starting point... A GREAT 1st truck! Congrats and get us pics!

:welcome: to PSN

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
actually, the 91 stock should only be 185 hp, and with a turbo, ram air intake and opened up exhaust should produce around 230-250 hp.

but either way, they can't be beat when it comes to a bulletproof reliable truck.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
You're alway going to be under powered! But aren't we all? Even the guy with the 800hp daily driver wants more. You have to take stock in what you have and be satisfied with what it can do.

You're truck if properly equipt will make about 230-250 reliably. B4 you throw-up consider this. Most trucks you see are more concerned about Rolling Coal than pulling or working. A 230hp IDI is a good starting point... A GREAT 1st truck! Congrats and get us pics!

:welcome: to PSN
:whs: For me I still have a place in my heart for the old IDI's, I've come to terms with them not making power but at the same time I would love to build one almost sorta as a nostalgia diesel.

There actually is a lot of stuff you can do to the IDI's but at best you'll be looking at around 250-275 reliable HP and maybe 300-320 a bit less reliable HP when all is said an done, and they can get hot fast, and don't take as well to the super high temps as well as the newer trucks do.

If you know guys in PA then your in a good spot for the IDI's. The man you Want is Mel, known on forums as Agnem. I believe he is now offering some hot rod pumps and injectors for the IDI's. ARP makes studs for them and adding a banks or Hypermax turbo will be the biggest inprovement you can get. Mahle even makes lower compression pistons (or used to) but 19.5:1 seems about the limit before cold weather starting can become a real trouble. Add in a PSD intercooler with some custom pipes and you'll pretty much be there.

This is a place you might really be interested in checking out, they do annual IDI rallies and all around a great group of guys. Log into Yuku | Free forums, social networks, communities, chat rooms Yuku I believe a lot of them hang out on Oilburners.net as well

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
I was meaning RWHP the 185 hp 7.3 makes 100-120 depending on fuel. AFAIK NOBODY is making more than 300 RWHP in a DD, not even Moose (Mel Agne). And the money it takes to get there is 1/2 what it is for a PS.
Enjoy the truck! It Wasn't made for the 1/4 mile or the dyno but if you take care of it it will run for a very longtime and keep-up with most of us w/the right combo.
Stay away from the 94 factory ATS, its nearly worthless. The Aurora is ok, I'm currently selling a complete 7.3 (needs rebuilt) w/Garrett system if you want to make a trip to Ks?

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well ####...this place is
AWESOME! :D:bowfast:

less than a day and 7 replies...need to turn off email verification...my phone is ringing off da hook lol

OK so great info guys keep it coming...ITS NOT the underpowerd persay...my dad wont let me get what i want...so i got a diesel just not a very powerful one...I KNOW! but its a very pretty truck and when i'm 21...#### him yea know?

But in the mean time...ive got 4wheeler trailers and #######s (prob *** out) in Baltimore id love to smoke out...i mean wth the trucks bulletproof LOLLOLL

ive already seen many posts on fuel pump settings and ive got that down, seems like IDI's have always been robbed of air so a good air-intake should be good...........(where do i find) im sure u can get one that not for the year and make it fit but i'm no genius so :pointlaugh:

2k for turbo on a truck i paid 1700 for my dad and bro and mom and gf and........:pointlaugh::pointlaugh::pointlaugh:

ill do it anyway...i mean 118K miles and a new tranny in it to boot...ill get another 300K out of it...and yes yes i do almost weekly maintance to my vehicles

I dont want to bother you guys more but if there are any links that could point me in the direction of these items and stuff or u know someone with a part...wth i could use a long ride in the truck :D:D

now for cosmetics/performance...stacks or straight piped dual rear? ( i figure if someone had their window down and (i will be lifting truck 6"[2 body,4 sus]) i could really annoy them with some smoke.

air intake and exhaust should prob get me too 200hp at !most!

@1800joedaddy
KS huh? im in MD and thats one hell of a drive...doubt my parents would allow that at age 18 with pervisional lies. but i would certianly love the idea of just swampin motors...but send me a PM about price...it would have to be around 1000bucks for it to be a smart buy...i mean i would have to pay for fuel, food, motels, food, food, and food...and smoke...:evil

OK!!!!!!! ive typed long enough and im sure im forgetting stuff...but guess what...truck just got out of inspection...wtf 19 1/2 years...6 months and i wont have to get it inspected...******** government

BTW THANKS AGAIN!
Will

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
I'm sure Cat Rebel knows of some closer. I didn't see that you were in Md. My complete engine is $800. The turbo is less than 1000 miles. You should be able to find another like it for around the same $ if you're dealing w/ someone who has a soul.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
I'm sure Cat Rebel knows of some closer. I didn't see that you were in Md. My complete engine is $800. The turbo is less than 1000 miles. You should be able to find another like it for around the same $ if you're dealing w/ someone who has a soul.

And its just Joe, the rest is tell the diff from the 1000 other joes here.

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
try and look into swamps....:ford:
Please inform us what Swamps does for an idi.:poke: :doh:

For turbo kits, don't even think of spending $2000 on one. Keep your eyes open, they show up time to time. With the shipping & rebuild kit I think I had under $450 into my old ATS 088 non gated kit. If you can get a kit for $500 +/- & have $100 into a rebuild then your doing good.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok...now for intakes...can i buy one for a 94 and make it fit my 91? or is there no major difference in the years...

i looked at swamps...nearest shop in PA and i think my gf's cousin has taken his truck there befor cause hes talked about it...ummm i just need to know if i can order parts and make them fit cause i see nothing for a 1984-1993 anywhere or maybe im just alil :doh::doh::doh::doh:

like cat thinks i am LOL
which is very likely...i mean im jsut gettin started on this stuff...ive only built computers and 4wheelers and rebuilt old cars with my dad...i mean old old old...40'-60's they are alil easier to work on then these guys

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
:nopics:

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AHHH IM GETTIN THERE!! WAIT !!! PAITENCE! PLEASE!!

lol ******** go to google images and look for urself...91 XLT Lariat F250...looks like that...except nasty 2tone brown

OHHHH BTW called Dave? at swamps he said he will shoot me an email with what he can find...he really thinks i need more than 120whp...:ford:

thanks for the help so far

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
there is a guy on another forum that hooked his air intake up to a fitting he put into the driver side cowl vent.

it works kind of like a cowl induction hood scoop.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
there is a guy on another forum that hooked his air intake up to a fitting he put into the driver side cowl vent.

it works kind of like a cowl induction hood scoop.
Pretty sure Hypermax offered a cowl induction kit like your saying, it wrapped around into the factory cowl. I think they had some issues with water though, but can't really remember. Only really encountered 1 or 2 people running them.

Simplest place to start for intake work would be cutting out the soup bowl on the factory air lid (unless your gonna ditch it with a turbo kit) Then you could do the zoodad mod if you so wish.

Or go with a 6637 filter like the PSD guys do and build your own setup, I think Mel has some pictures of this sort of deal with his hypermax turbo. Its not a 6637 but gives you an idea on what could be done

k so ill get truck back friday or sat hopefully

Banks Quick Turbo Ford Powerstroke Diesel 7.3L 1994 : eBay Motors (item 260583908154 end time May-10-10 12:08:49 PDT)

swamps and myself have confirmed that this should prob fit...94 was a weird year and had 3 different engines 2 of which are IDI 1 turbo 1 not so either way this should fit

well thats 1 down...many to go
I'm pretty sure Cat will know exactly what that is, but looks like that auction is simply for an exhaust housing for a 94-97 Power Stroke diesel and is NOT a turbo kit for an IDI or even for a factory turbo'd IDI

For searching around I know of 3 companies that had very common kits, Banks, ATS and Hypermax. Main difference was the banks kit had a wastegate on the turbo while the ATS and Hypermax were non gated kits. There are also 2 variations of the Banks Sidewinder kit, the older style (I think non gate) with a Big square air box, and then the newer gated style that had more of a smaller black intake hat.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well ive gotten a turbo from a near by junkyard for 220 and had it cleaned and repaird for free by a shop im good friends with so now i need a kit i guess...but yes i knew it wasnt all i needed

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.