Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
-josh-
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the other day i was driving down a feeder road about 45 mph when all of a sudden my truck started to take off like i stomped the gas peddle down to the floor. i panicked because a red light was approaching fast i hit the brakes but it only slowed it down a little bit so i put it in neutral to slow down and my rpms where pegged i then turned off the key but the truck wouldn't turn off either! after bellowing black smoke for what it seems forever but in reality was maybe 30 seconds until it shut itself down i coasted over to a side road and got towed home. after that i tried turning the key but it seemed hard to turn over like the batteries were weak. it now sits in my garage and I'm scarred i blown the motor and I'm puzzled what could of caused all this.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
unfortunately you probably did blow the motor. the motor ran away on you. usually happens when the turbo seals go bad and it pumps oil into the cylinders. youtube for 7.3 runaway and see if thats what yours did but i almost guarantee thats what it was. sorry bud.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Defintely a runaway, no doubt. Hopefully it never happens again, but for future reference, you either:

1) jump out and run away as fast as you can
2) completely block the air supply as it's getting fuel from somewhere else, and no air results in no combustion

Common reasons for this include, but are not limited too, turbo seals going bad resulting in oil in the air intake or injector orings bad and sever contamination of fuel in the oil

·
Registered
853 Posts
keep an 8mm socket, ratchet, and something to block the air flow if it does it again. all these things would be so you could take the intake off and suffocate the turbo befor the motor takes a big dodo.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
im tellin ya it ran away and popped. there probably won't be another time for that motor. just because it didn't sound exactly like the truck in the video its gone. the only time a runaway stops is when you stop air flow or it pops. unless you somehow got really lucky. another way to stop a runaway is fire extinguisher directly into the air filter. that kills it.

ill tell you this if mine starts doing this i won't give a chit what i break taking stuff off to stop it im just gonna start tearing off air parts. might start carrying an extinguisher just to be safe.

·
-josh-
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone tomorrow I may try to start it and see what it sounds like then shut it down quick and take it to the shop to have it fixed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I dont know if it would be a good idea to start it, thats running the risk of making it runaway again. Either take the turbo off to be checked and dig a little further into this yourself or just have it towed to a reputable shop and have them look it over.

I would really hate to see you be able to start it up again and completly take out a saveable motor. Good luck

·
Registered
708 Posts
I dont know if it would be a good idea to start it, thats running the risk of making it runaway again. Either take the turbo off to be checked and dig a little further into this yourself or just have it towed to a reputable shop and have them look it over.

I would really hate to see you be able to start it up again and completly take out a saveable motor. Good luck
:whs:

You can smell for fuel in the oil too

Also if you have an after market filter to where you can rip the filter off easily, a block of wood works great too. I know the 6.ohNO's were notorious for injector orings going bad and getting the oil level up to 30 qts or so contaminated with fuel, and the crank sloshing around in it would cause the oily-fuel mixture to foam up and finding its way to the cylinders and causing the runaways.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
CORRECTION

just check the oil...if it ran away from a bad turbothe oil will be low or if it ran away from fuel in the oil it will likely still be over full and thinned with fuel. Either way, you'll have your answer.

After you check the oil go shopping for another engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This sounds like an expensive failure. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this besides rebuilding the turbo often? How often should that be? I would hate to lose an engine due to a cheap seal needing replacement.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
new motor is cheaper than a new turbo if im honest. apparently one of the members on here who lives by me is able to pull a 7.3 engine from trucks in a junkyard that is local for $150. im still waiting to find out where because i need a build motor. if you can do some work yourself get the new block prepped and ready to go in, a shop won't charge all that much to drop a motor in if thats the only thing youre unable to do. not too much under the circumstances that is.

·
Registered
708 Posts
This sounds like an expensive failure. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this besides rebuilding the turbo often? How often should that be? I would hate to lose an engine due to a cheap seal needing replacement.
Regularly check your oil level

Check for oil leaks and inspect the turbo on occasion

Visually and with smell check the oil when checking oil level

Get oil analysis' done every other oil change or so (this will also help you find other problems before it's too late too)

·
-josh-
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i had no oil leaks in fact my oil was under a thousand miles before this happen. it seems that it can give out and happen at any moment with out warnings. my truck was running perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad no one was hurt in the process and sorry to hear the news hopefully its fixable.
Could it of been starving for fuel.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts