Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i finally was able to get my clutch in this weekend. Boy it was a PITA but its in. Its a South Bend Dual Disc 3850. Its one beefy clutch. I also put my downpipe in. Its a flo pro. Yea i no its bad cause of the way it fits. But i heard they had problems after i bought it. I couldnt pass up the deal when i saw it. It was 230 shipped. Then i sent it out to be ceramic coated black since the rest of my exhaust is. But besides that its all in. I just have one problem that maybe one of u guys could answer or im gonna have to call South Bend. I picked up a vibration at idle. when it comes of idle it stops. im thinkin its just the weight of the clutch. Thanks guys let me no wat ya think.

Stock clutch out and burnt. I was running the 250 on it. :badidea:

New South Bend 3850 all shinny and heavy as hell

Downpipes

Clutch installed

And this is my baby my hard work next thing heavy motor work by Aaron at Rudys

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey guys i finally was able to get my clutch in this weekend. Boy it was a PITA but its in. Its a South Bend Dual Disc 3850. Its one beefy clutch. I also put my downpipe in. Its a flo pro. Yea i no its bad cause of the way it fits. But i heard they had problems after i bought it. I couldnt pass up the deal when i saw it. It was 230 shipped. Then i sent it out to be ceramic coated black since the rest of my exhaust is. But besides that its all in. I just have one problem that maybe one of u guys could answer or im gonna have to call South Bend. I picked up a vibration at idle. when it comes of idle it stops. im thinkin its just the weight of the clutch. Thanks guys let me no wat ya think.

Stock clutch out and burnt. I was running the 250 on it. :badidea:

New South Bend 3850 all shinny and heavy as hell

Downpipes

Clutch installed

And this is my baby my hard work next thing heavy motor work by Aaron at Rudys
are those bmf's?

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
thats a beautiful truck! how does the new clutch feel?

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats a beautiful truck! how does the new clutch feel?
Thanks. It is stiff as hell. But thats wat i get with the 3850 dual disc. I gotta get used to it like a new truck. besides that when it hooks it goes :evil

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
850 hp and 1800 ft lbs of torque. its pretty beffy. its one step under the full blown race clutch for pullers that south bend makes for the 6.4

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man i try to keep it clean.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
describe your "vibration" again. i don't know how many dual discs you've been around, but they all have a "rattle" when you push in the clutch at idle. Also from my experiences the SBC dual discs "rattle" are loud as hell. the Valair dual discs i've been around are much much quieter than SBC, but i don't think they even have them out for the 6.4 yet so... if the "vibration" you described is only when you push the clutch in i'd say it's the discs rattling. your stock clutch system was single mass and y'alls 6.4's idle really smooth so i doubt it's gear rollover. It also seems that the lever style clutches are significantly louder than the diaphram styles.

That clutch setup is stiff b/c of the pressure plate build. the lever style dual disc pressure plates increase the pedal pressure a lot, the diaphram styles don't increase pedal pressure near as much. the diamphram just can't hold quite as much power. 750hp is about all for a diaphram dual disc..

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea i knew about the pedal pressure i was shocked it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. Im getting used to the pressure tho. But the shaking in the cab is still there. when i sit in the truck at idle it shakes and when i break 1000 rpm it goes away. I cant seem to figure it out. also im not sure if its just the dd clutch but when i let off slow like from a light it bucks twice and goes. if i go from a slight role stop it does not do it. SBC told me the bucking should go away after break in. but they are not sure of the shaking. i just dont want the motor coming apart because of the shaking. thanks for the insite.

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i talked to a guy on the spartan forum and he said he had the same vibration and bucking. so its just the nature of the beast. its one bad ash clutch i got.

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
That is one beautiful truck you got there.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
very nice Bud, that is a thing of beauty.

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is one beautiful truck you got there.
very nice Bud, that is a thing of beauty.
Thanks guys im trying to get it setup on a 19 yr old pay. next is a trip to rudys but its in the way future. but its getting there. on order is traction bar ends precision metal fab lift blocks to level it out ans spartan 275 310 tunes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts