Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I fixed the starter issue....had a short in the alternator. O'reilly's is proud of those. Fires right up. even on the coldest day in Houston in 22 years. I cheated a little I like to plug her in....warms up much faster.

I went to our local Ford house and bought the parts....all in stock except for the dipstick tube.

yep, the lg oring for inside the pan and the small oring for the tube then the big nut. However my nut was good and true but replaced it anyway.

I clamped a small needle nose vise grips with a string attached onto the tube receiver just in case the adapter slipped into the pan. Really an easy job. Slow and careful. I did drain the oil even though it was mostly new oil but not T5.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I fixed the starter issue....had a short in the alternator. O'reilly's is proud of those. Fires right up. even on the coldest day in Houston in 22 years. I cheated a little I like to plug her in....warms up much faster.

I went to our local Ford house and bought the parts....all in stock except for the dipstick tube.

yep, the lg oring for inside the pan and the small oring for the tube then the big nut. However my nut was good and true but replaced it anyway.

I clamped a small needle nose vise grips with a string attached onto the tube receiver just in case the adapter slipped into the pan. Really an easy job. Slow and careful. I did drain the oil even though it was mostly new oil but not T5.

Sometimes this site gives my computer fits.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I cheated a little I like to plug her in....warms up much faster.
That's not cheating, that's playing it smart. The warmer the oil, the less friction on startup, the longer your engine lasts. Cold startup accounts for a LOT of friction-related engine wear.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
...Gonna get a new windshield next week....Hoping I can go to 400k on the injectors...I have never had them out.

Thanks for this site.
Well that above was from my first post....finally had my windshield replaced last week. Nothing like taking my time. It sure is nice not having 22 years of grit scored glass to look through while driving never mind the big hole and cracks...

still have the original sticks...

I am at 434k miles.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The oil dipstick fix: where did you get the repair kit; was it just the two o-rings and nut?

/QUOTE]

Hey Airstreamer67, I just saw your post, apologies. I bought the parts at the local Ford house...$26 or something like that.

We have a Silver Streak 35' after our Airstream was wrecked coming home from a NASCAR race.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
:crying:My '96 powerstroke had to be towed off the highway:frown: first time it failed on me going down the road....It first felt like I lost a cylinder then a few more then all of them....crank but no start....I am sad, actually nearly broke my heart to have it towed by a worn out POS chebby. But the driver took good care towing and my insurance wrote me a check for the tow bill. Now to figure her out.

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
Bummer. What’s the oil level.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Replace the mechanical fuel pump....takes a little longer now to fire up but it starts and runs again. Now the A/C stopped blowing cold....CRUD....its still pretty humid and hot here so that needs fixing also. I just replace the entire system last August. The low pressure connector rusted up so bad I could not get the cap off without pliars! gonna have to clean that fitting up some before I can get the A/C gauges on.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
replaced the receiver/dryer pulled a vacuum for 25 minutes, held vacuum for 20 minutes, pumped in 3 cans of refrigerant and blowing out the center vent 36*

I haven't driven this vehicle in a month...kinda hard going from the 2015 to the '96 with 442k miles on it with all its shakes/rattles but I am back in the saddle!

Bow season opens next week here in Texas and then the general rifle season in a month...can't believe another year has gone by....I have a new casa on wheels for my deer camp...2017 30' bumper pull Prowler that I lucked right into for 15k. Now the decision which truck to pull it with?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Nutin really to update on my pickup...'cept it is still running well....gonna change the fuel filter this weekend has 10k on it I have been running a lot of blue oil in my diesel fuel along with a lot of fry oil. Currently I have not had to buy much diesel as one of my buddies is working at a lg compressor shop and they are dumping the diesel in a tote, we pick it up and burn it in our trucks...free fuel. gotta love that.

I am at 451,300 miles.

·
Native Californian
364 Posts
I love that yet another 7.3 has gone this far on original injectors and o-rings. I was trying to sell my truck last month and these idjit tire kickers kept bringing that up as a negotiating point since mine were all original at 288k miles. The logic as ridiculous. Would love to see a photo of your truck!

On a side note, my truck is staying. It's too good of one to sell to a moron.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I love that yet another 7.3 has gone this far on original injectors and o-rings. I was trying to sell my truck last month and these idjit tire kickers kept bringing that up as a negotiating point since mine were all original at 288k miles. The logic as ridiculous. Would love to see a photo of your truck!

On a side note, my truck is staying. It's too good of one to sell to a moron.
What he said on pictures!! I've been really nervous about injectors and o rings myself, thanks for putting it out there. It's comforting.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Native Californian
364 Posts
What he said on pictures!! I've been really nervous about injectors and o rings myself, thanks for putting it out there. It's comforting.

If truck is running well and using no oil, no need to worry. Drive happy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Fellas, got an update on my powerstroke...had to install another vacuum pump, this one the bearing was coming apart....kinda pretty tho....the area above the v pump would shimmer in the sunlight as the metal was disintegrating into shimmering flakes of steel. Should be a forever warranty just need to find the receipt.

I am out of fry oil and nearly out of the blue oil and the free diesel...actually I had to BUY diesel last week...blah!

I am at 458,620 miles.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I am going to need to get another vacuum pump...nearly lost my power brakes this morning in traffic...this pump is not doing it...max's out at about 19 inches and with the brake on at a red light it drops to 7 inches and the A/C switches to defroster outlets....boo

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Time for a hydroboost swap...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'm not sure what spec is, but 19 seems like it should work, sure you don't have a leak?

I hate parts that don't work right.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It looks like in my experience those fuel tank filters(fuel pickups) are good for 8-9 years...I ran out of fuel at a quarter tank in the rear tank two weeks ago and then the front tank last Friday.....blah!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts