Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I have finally saved up the money for a set of billet steel rods for the new motor for my truck! So far here is what has been done to the new motor

-bored .20 over
-balanced crank
-o-ringed heads and block
-re-ground cam back to stock spec
-910 valve springs
-3/8 pushrods
-ported heads
-ARP head studs
-ARP main studs and a main girdle
-weight matched pistons
-and forged rods about to be ordered

So this leads to my question, I'm plan on getting Carrillo rods but should I get H11 or CARR? for that matter whats the difference?

The whole bottom end will be balanced as well.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
The H11 rod bolts will be plenty for you. The CARR bolts are just stronger bolts. Kind of like the difference between ARP and H11.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, H11's it is! Are there any other things I should be doing that I havent already had done?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Why not upgrade cam?

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not upgrade cam?
I though about that but most of the people I talked to said it would take away the daily drivability... and I already had the cam re ground to stock. What kind of cam would you recommend?

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SO apparently carillo rods aren't true "billet" rods? Can someone explain this to me? I'm now awaiting a price on a set of Crower rods...

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Just go get a set of Crowers. I haven't heard of any issues ever with them, popular and easy to come by, had them in my built engine and they were nice. I have a stage one cam in my truck, gearhead... I wouldn't make special effort to put another one in an engine. Can't tell much different

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok if you guys have had good luck with Crower then thats what I'll get.

Hey Joey I sent you a message about a scan gauge, whats your price on one with the additional sensors for fuel pressure and transmission oil temp?

PowerstrokeJunkie thats what I've head too, the only difference is on a highly altered cam and then that takes all the daily driveability out of the truck so no cam for me.

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Yea I would have to agree with you on that. A street truck not needed, for an all out race truck you don't need low end power. I do know my truck pulls pretty strong on lower boost levels below 2000 rpm. Not sure if its the cam or turbo selection or a combination of both.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I know this is an old one, but the time has come and the build has begun. The Crower rods arrived today so now the building begins. The machine shop my engine is at will start getting everything ready and balanced and hopefully in less than a month my new built engine will be ready to drop in my 97!

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well here are the new Crower rods next to the stock forged rods out of the 97 powerstroke I'm having built. The set of stocks rods are up for grabs if anyone is interested...

Attachments

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered more parts today. Got a ATS billet flex plate on the way. The engine is at the machine shop and they are waiting for the flex plate and a harmonic balancer to finish balancing the engine. All the other parts for the long block are there.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
so what has all this set you back?what kind of hp are you looking at when all is said and done?

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha its cost me ALLOT! But I wanted to over build the engine because thats just how I do things. Number wise I will be limited by the SD setup with the 38R but I plan to go with a different turbo setup and a larger I/C after the rebuilt engine is broken in with the current SD setup. Number wise my goal is 425+hp range. I know the longblock is seriously over built for this but I figured I'd give myself room to grow and hopefully only do it once.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so now one of my friends asked me if I'm doing all the other upgrades to the engine, why not add a fluid damper harmonic balancer also... I wonder is it worth the money to go the extra bit further considering all I have done already? Advice at this point in time is greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Ok so now one of my friends asked me if I'm doing all the other upgrades to the engine, why not add a fluid damper harmonic balancer also... I wonder is it worth the money to go the extra bit further considering all I have done already? Advice at this point in time is greatly appreciated!!!!
I don't have quite the build you have going on. But it made a good bit of difference on my truck. I say it is worth it. The only thing is I am not sure your engine can be balanced with it on. Something about it throwing the balancing machine out of whack. Just double check.

Rusty

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well here another update, I just ordered a fluid damper and welded oil jets! I gonna end up doing everything except filling or half filling the block! haha Hopefully I'll begin to assemble things before the end of the year!

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The time has come and assembly of the engine has begun! Pics to come!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts