Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GOT WOOD!!!!
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 09 F350 with the 6.4L it is all stock i have about 25,000KM on it. It is at the dealership right now and they cant figure it out??? The truck has not broken down on me it seems to have power still, but the exhaust filter is keeps plugging up. The message comes on and says Cleaning Exhaust Filter but it is only on for like 5 seconds and then goes out. The dealer says it is not giving them any codes as to what is wrong with it but can see that the filter is plugging and that it is not cleaning. They replaced the Mass airflow sensor they other week, but it is still doing the same thing so it is back at the dealership. Anybody have any ideas or advice i can give them??? Thanks in advace guys

·
Registered
357 Posts
umm try a different dealer?

do you have a hi idle on your truck?

Does your truck have the latest calibration?

if it does, then when it displays " cleaning exhuast filter" goes out in 5 seconds that means its in regen. However if it the display steadily displays that message then factors have not been met to allow regen. (example hi-idle left on)

if you dont have the latest calibration and the message disapears, then your not in regen.

How do they know its plugging up? When they plug up you should know it and you will have low power, and if its bad enough your display will read " forced limit power ". What dpf pressure are they reading if they say its plugging up?

If the truck did not break down on you then what was your reason for taking it in for service? Check engine light? display message?

·
Diesel fanatic
591 Posts
If your " cleaning exhuast filter" goes out in 5 seconds do a system check & it should say " cleaning exhuast filter". Thats if you have the latest flash. If your filter was plugged you would for sure know it.

·
GOT WOOD!!!!
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
umm try a different dealer?

do you have a hi idle on your truck?

Does your truck have the latest calibration?

if it does, then when it displays " cleaning exhuast filter" goes out in 5 seconds that means its in regen. However if it the display steadily displays that message then factors have not been met to allow regen. (example hi-idle left on)

if you dont have the latest calibration and the message disapears, then your not in regen.

How do they know its plugging up? When they plug up you should know it and you will have low power, and if its bad enough your display will read " forced limit power ". What dpf pressure are they reading if they say its plugging up?

If the truck did not break down on you then what was your reason for taking it in for service? Check engine light? display message?

Hey man, about 2 weeks ago the wrench light would come on at idle then once started driving it would go out. That is why i took it in the first time, my truck have the automatic factory high idle. They just did the latest calibration to it 2 weeks ago before the wrench light started coming on and the cleaning exhaust filter started coming on once in awhile but for only 5 seconds the it goes out, it used to come before they did the latest calibration for like 5to 8mins. They said they know it is not regening but it is not telling them WHY it is not regening??? I still have good power, but my fuel mileage is very bad now?? Towing a 2 place sled trailer going about 120KM it was reading 25to32L/100KM i use to be 13to15L/100KM. I don't know i just though maybe this has happen to someone else?

·
Registered
357 Posts
what dealer if you dont mind me asking?

The dealer has to read their tsb's and print you a copy of the revised regen info. (you cant program a truck and get paid for it from ford unless you reference a tsb, thus they should have placed an info sheet on your dash for you to read and place in your owners manual) This would have explained why your regen read out has changed aswell as other useful info.

The dealer can look on the ids and it will tell them when the last regen was requested, when the last one was completed, etc. Reality is if it has not went into regen your filter would be pluged in say 3,000km or less. I've had dpfs pluged so bad that the truck would not even run, but that was generally on work trucks where they never shut them off and just ignored the drive to clean messages. Or those who tap into the seic circuts for hi idle and leave it engerzied all the time.

Did the dealer do anything when your wrench light was comming on? Your work order should have had codes listed. Or if you want pm me your vin and i can look to see what they did and where it was done at.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just get rid of the dang dpf. I agonized over the decision for weeks and when I finally did it I couldn't believe the difference. Just save all your parts in case you have to take it in to the dealership for warranty work.

·
GOT WOOD!!!!
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just get rid of the dang dpf. I agonized over the decision for weeks and when I finally did it I couldn't believe the difference. Just save all your parts in case you have to take it in to the dealership for warranty work.
What is all involved to get rid of it?? What is the costs? What do i need? What is the benifits to getting rid of it?

·
Registered
256 Posts
If i remember right you have to drive it a certain amount of time at a certain speed when it comes on to make sure it burns off. It could be that it cant or hasnt completed the regen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i really have no idea but i would say try another dealer and ask then to hook up the truck and see if it need's any updates

·
Registered
24 Posts
What is all involved to get rid of it?? What is the costs? What do i need? What is the benifits to getting rid of it?
You need a dpf delete pipe, a tuner/programmer that will disable regeneration, or if you don't want to tune your truck there are electronics out there that will only turn off the dpf. Personally, the tuner is the way to go. You get more power and much improved fuel mileage. I gaines about five mpg when I did my delete. I deleted the dpf and doc. I also went with a Spartan tuner. They are great. As far as the cost, I think you can do it all for around 1800 dollars, maybe less. It's not that bad to do yourself either. If you need any more info feel free to pm me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing for about a week, but it comes on after a couple of miles down the road and stays on till I get to work and cut the motor off. My trip to work is about 16 miles. Any ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dealership told me yesterday that I was not driving far enough for it to finish. So I drove alittle farther and problem solved.

·
GOT WOOD!!!!
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drove 2300KM and the light come on 2twice both for 5 seconds and then went out and wouldn't come on again. So i don't know???? It use to come on for like 5 to 8 mins before they did the recalabration and know it has never stayed on for longer then 5 seconds???

·
Registered
42 Posts
You need a dpf delete pipe, a tuner/programmer that will disable regeneration, or if you don't want to tune your truck there are electronics out there that will only turn off the dpf. Personally, the tuner is the way to go. You get more power and much improved fuel mileage. I gaines about five mpg when I did my delete. I deleted the dpf and doc. I also went with a Spartan tuner. They are great. As far as the cost, I think you can do it all for around 1800 dollars, maybe less. It's not that bad to do yourself either. If you need any more info feel free to pm me. Hope this helps.

I've read alot on here about Spartan tuners. are they a preference for the Fords? How do you like your Ram cold air intake?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts