Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the decision to buy a '95 sclb truck from a buddy in Texas because I wanted the body panels and was tired of looking around up here in the NE at overpriced rusted panels. I got the truck shipped up and my plans changed. As they continued to evolve I decided to just build this truck, convert it to 4wd and have fun with the project. So here it goes, any input is welcome!

The pics are in order as it went apart and back together.

I found a set of axles on Craigslist from a guy who wasn't too far away. It came with American racing rims and nitto 35's. The package also included spring, shocks, and a 5" sky RSK. I wasn't initially trying to lift the truck past stock, but hey, you can't beat a great deal and it is going to look good.

I dropped my axles, installed the new rear axle, boxed the front of the frame for the RSK and installed that. Hung the front axle and was waiting on front leaf rear hangers for a little while. Got them and the paint is drying now. Should have them installed tonight and driving tomorrow!

Attachments

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics. I removed the coil buckets, radius arm mounts and traction beam mounts as I went.

Attachments

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am doing this project in stages so I don't get to a point where I'm effectively "stuck" on the lift. Once it's driving (hopefully tomorrow) I'll source a low mile 4wd transmission and t-case and move to install that. If you want pictures of anything just let me know and I'll post it. So far this has been fun, im not looking forward to removing and installing the new transmission...!!!

Oh, this engine has 395xxx miles on it so it'll be getting a donor in the near future as well. So the engine and tranny swap might end up happening at the same time at which point I'll consider just pulling the cab and front clip.

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got all the brakes hooked up and was replacing the parking brake cable when I found the rear drums in poor shape. Rebuilding those today and tomorrow and now hopefully driving by Monday!

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it on the road today! Drives straight and feels awesome! Going to get it aligned ASAP now and on the hunt for a 4wd trans and xfer case.

Attachments

Reactions: Mac7 and JCart

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice truck! Hard work = rewards!!!
I'm excited to be working on this project, trying to make sure I do everything the right way the first time and not take any short cuts. Going to register it this week!

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got some more minor work done on the truck including getting the bumper remounted, new headlights and taillights that came with the truck installed ( junk Spyder stuff that I'll be replacing as soon as I find some good used OEM stuff.) Got my e-fuel parts all picked out and 3 autometer A pillar gauges all in my amazon cart!!!! excited!

Just noticing I posted this in the wrong section... prob should be in project log forum, rookie move... Mods any chance you guys can move it over there?

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WTB:

Aluminum 7.3 intercooler and pipes with intake spider

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice build! The more pics the better! Keep us posted dude.
Thanks, really excited at how its coming out! Next is to coat the frame and linex the bed. Gong to pick up a 4x4 E40D and transfer case so hopefully Ill get those installed with driveshafts before the end of January! Then install my E-fuel which i'll document the process as I built my own kit.

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back at it!!

Got the bed off a bed first coat of paint on the frame it's looking good!

Also found an intercooler and e99 spider so that's next!

Picking up tranny and transfer case tomorrow with shafts so she'll be actually 4x4 soon!!!

Attachments

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dropped the tanks and got 2 coats on everything rear of the cab

Attachments

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Nice job Robert. I'd check into an F32 D or E rear tank (iirc), it's a rear 38 gallon tank same dimensions only 7" deeper than stock, spare still fits under there. It's a worth while mod as it gives you lots of fuel capacity.

Cheers,

j

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice job Robert. I'd check into an F32 D or E rear tank (iirc), it's a rear 38 gallon tank same dimensions only 7" deeper than stock, spare still fits under there. It's a worth while mod as it gives you lots of fuel capacity.

Cheers,

j
Thanks! i was considering the bigger tank but for my daily driver. This will only be a toy! I won't need more than the stock 35 gallons LOL

Reactions: JCart

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice work!! Are you going to build the E4OD up any?
Yes definitely going to build up the E40D a little bit. I still need to swap the tailsaft and tailshaft housing to bolt up to the t-case so I think I am going to do the build myself. It's maxing out my skill level but I think I can handle it.

Yesterday I welded all of the holes on the bed rails and 5th wheel area and ground them smooth. Tonight I flipped the bed and pressure washed it, then coated it in ACE rust stop rolled and brushed on. Looks great so far need one more coat tomorrow!

Monday Line-X!!!

Attachments

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I made some good progress on the build.

Got the trans dropped yesterday and making arrangements to convert it to 4x4. I found a t case but the seller is making life difficult so I'm back on the hunt. The torque converter looks like it came out of a box yesterday so it seems the trans was in fact recently rebuilt.

I finally found an e99 spider and got an aluminum 7.3 intercooler and SD pipes. I dove right in following a few builds on here and over at the .org. It went pretty well I was able to fab all of my mounts and have the intercooler mounted in under a day. Including paint drying time on the fabbed pieces. I made the mounts out of 1" square tubing as well as the new hood latch support. I moved the base of the AC condenser back using flat mouthing brackets and had more than enough room to fit the IC. All in all I am pleased with the outcome. Running the pipes tomorrow and modifying them is going to be dificult. I might end up building it out of 3" exhaust because I can weld steel but not aluminum very well yet. That's if I can't make the SD pipes work which a lot of people do.

Attachments

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the pipes fit, ended up adding 3" to the hot side at the spider and 3" to the cold side at the IC. They came out good. I have the extra 3" pieces booted together so I'm going to get them tigged ASAP because I don't like the extra boots. But then i noticed a drip.... so I must have hit the radiator... :( dropping it off to get fixed tomorrow or sourcing a used one. They're cheap so I'm not worried but it's another hurdle!

Reactions: Mac7
1 - 20 of 81 Posts