Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ordered an SCT yesterday with the extreme option:rockwoot:! Should be here monday and I can't wait to see what the 2wd can do with it!

A quick question for those of you running Erics tunes, what is the best MPG you have seen, and what tune did you do this in? I am going to be doing a 500 mile round trip drive to see my brother in a few weeks, and want to see what it can push and what to expect.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
I did a 1000 mile weekend trip with extreme street with a average speed on the interstate of 85 and I was getting 18.9. Pretty dang good if you ask me. My truck is a 4x4 on top of that

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Buddy of mine in a crew cab long bed got something like 20mpg in the extreme tune on the way to SSS last year.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I was told that the tuner will fool the over head mpg display.....

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
This was hand calculated.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Mine generally reads within 2 tenths of an MPG to hand calculations
x2 mine seems pretty accurate.

I get crap for mileage though, seemed to start with the inductive heating flash, not 100% sure what causes it, also I spend majority of my time in mixed or country road driving with stop signs every so often. I was getting 12mpg before the tuner (middle of winter too) and then with the tuner I now get around 14.5 average through a tank. Not sure what I get straight highway but I think its almost 16. But I have a small lift and larger tires on a crew cab long bed.

oh and this is with Xtreme Race, I have run it daily for about 15k

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
i just installed the hellman sump, so this is my first full tank of fuel since the FASS and all the work has been done... i will do some calcuations here soon.....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
With my FASS, I was at 11 city last fill up:doh: But that was with a couple street races:lookaround: 18 seems to be normal highway for me.

My best mileage ever was 24.5 mpg, all highway at 65mph with a Hypertech Power Programmer III on stage 3...

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
It doesnt fool the display. It is generally not accurate because it takes the average from the present time to the time of the last reset and that could be 10 miles or 100k miles. When you hand calculate your mpg, it is usually only over the period of one tank(300-400 miles)

This was hand calculated.
Mine was hand calculated as well.

Mine generally reads within 2 tenths of an MPG to hand calculations
My display is rarely off by more than .5 mpg

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies!

So basically I will not need an economy tune, just run one of the extreme tunes for mpg? Im excited now since my truck is 2wd rc lol.

Just for my curiosity, Are the 6.0's like the 7.3 where all the SRW's were 3.73 gear sets?

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
x2 mine seems pretty accurate.

I get crap for mileage though, seemed to start with the inductive heating flash, not 100% sure what causes it, also I spend majority of my time in mixed or country road driving with stop signs every so often. I was getting 12mpg before the tuner (middle of winter too) and then with the tuner I now get around 14.5 average through a tank. Not sure what I get straight highway but I think its almost 16. But I have a small lift and larger tires on a crew cab long bed.

oh and this is with Xtreme Race, I have run it daily for about 15k

I would bet that your mileage is due to crappy timing limits imposed by the FICM...... it really kills low end response even with a tuner installed because the FICM has the final word on timing to the injectors.....

·
Registered
772 Posts
it does. the computer gets screwed with when you add more fuel. mine says I get 25 to 30 highway at 80 mph. I doubt my mpgs went up 7 mpgs by installing 190cc injectors :doh: hand calculated I see around 17 or so.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I would bet that your mileage is due to crappy timing limits imposed by the FICM...... it really kills low end response even with a tuner installed because the FICM has the final word on timing to the injectors.....
I have always had a sneaking suspicion of that since I gained some with the tuning but not all of it and from the little I know it seems the FICM is still somewhat uncharted territory, or at least is untouched with tuning.

I have mentioned my suspicions of the FICM before when talking with Travis (06powerstroke) about my relatively low EGT's (1250°) and low boost numbers when stock (21psi, instead of 28psi) and what seems to be consistant 50hp or so lower in dyno and trap speeds compared to other trucks. But I dunno if I can blame all of that soley on the FICM.

Some day I plan on getting a tuned FICM but currently have bigger financial fish to fry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts