Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I caught six weeks of nearly constant mild summer weather for a comparative MPG test. My usual circuit: 35% urban/suburban, 30% Interstate @ 1700 RPM (70 MPH), and 35% state roads @ 1450 RPM (60 MPH), flat terrain, same times of day, same amount of traffic, half-baked hypermiling (mostly coasting), tires aired up to 100 psi.

As expected the paddle mirrors won, giving 26.99 MPG vs 26.33 for the TT mirrors.

One of my best tests yet in terms of isolating one variable (the mirrors). I am real confident that anybody will realize two-thirds of a MPG better with the paddle mirrors.

I did the test with my air dam removed. I am doing some redesign of it, so people's eyes won't be all bugged out when they see the new one. So my overall MPG is down a bit from last summer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thats a good test, still probably a .5mpg improvement for most people that get 17-19.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey Dave, do you think it would make much of a difference with the TT mirrors pulled out all of the time? I have some of the first TT mirrors on my 99, and they don't push in! I figured they must drag a little more being out a few more inches all of the time, what do you think?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would think the TT mirrors out versus normal (tucked in) wouldn't change much because all you are adding is a couple of inches of the round bars that hold the mirror out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good info thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts