Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seen the Dmax & old 2wd Dodge without OD getting 27mpg?

·
1,097 Posts
Man, I’m bummed. I wish I could get in on one of these tests where everyone drives a road trip at 40 MPG to post big numbers. Ol’ dummy Dave beats his brains out trying to get good MPG while driving a third of his tests on city/suburban streets and blasting down the highway at the posted limit.

Give me a flat road with no stops and let me drive 800 RPM in fifth gear and I bet I can get over 35 – maybe 40.

I reckon it would help if I lived in California – where the media is.

·
Registered
987 Posts
holy cow, I just noticed you were up to 27mpg Dave.... Awesome!

·
Hoosier daddy!
1,700 Posts
I read that article too and really wondered how legit it was? Seems almost BS, but there's a lot I might be missing...

·
1,097 Posts
I haven't seen the article yet. What were the parameters they used?

·
Hoosier daddy!
1,700 Posts
Well, it sounded like the only constant was that they all topped off at the same time. It said guys were doing the old tricks of shaking the truck or jacking the drivers side up so they could get as much fuel as possible into the tank. Then they drove a predetermined course in whatever economy tune or tune of choice that they had. So there was a wide variety of mods in the different trucks from almost stock to high HP. Then they all filled up at the end to see how much fuel they used. But I bet none of them shook their truck or jacked the one side up when they filled up at the end... :bsflag:

·
Sleep well my brothers
2,063 Posts
I thought is was a bunch of :bsflag:

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Well, it sounded like the only constant was that they all topped off at the same time. It said guys were doing the old tricks of shaking the truck or jacking the drivers side up so they could get as much fuel as possible into the tank. Then they drove a predetermined course in whatever economy tune or tune of choice that they had. So there was a wide variety of mods in the different trucks from almost stock to high HP. Then they all filled up at the end to see how much fuel they used. But I bet none of them shook their truck or jacked the one side up when they filled up at the end... :bsflag:
you know in the diesel power challenge's I kinda thought the same thing..

I bet he didn't do that crap when he refilled..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is that the challange where the winner did not have to account for all the propane he used?:bsflag:

·
1,097 Posts
I still haven't made heads or tails of this article.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I haven't seen the article but I can get about a 3-4 gallon difference if I shake my truck to fill it all the way up or just when the pump stops... That is the difference between 23-27...

·
Hoosier daddy!
1,700 Posts
I haven't seen the article but I can get about a 3-4 gallon difference if I shake my truck to fill it all the way up or just when the pump stops... That is the difference between 23-27...
Harpoon your tank and you will only be able to get maybe 1/2 to 1 gal more in after the pump stops. Honestly, I thought I had a 25 gallong tank on my truck until I harpooned it. Now I can pump 29 gal. before the pump stops(on an almost empty tank of course).

·
1,097 Posts
As an owner of a Harpooned tank I agree that having the tank harpooned lerts you fill quicker and more consistently.

Having done A LOT ofd MPG testing, my opinion is that if you are sweating how full you get the tank, your test is too short to be of any accuracy. To me, at least thousand miles is necessary (1,500 is better) for an accurate picture of your fuel consumption.

Of course if somebody wants to spring for high-precision volumetric or gravimetric systems, I would change that tune.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
This summer I have figured that 1 gallon off on a fill-up is equal to about .75 mpg difference.
Best way to figure mpg is to average out over many miles, multiple fill-ups...

·
Just a Pup
137 Posts
Harpoon your tank and you will only be able to get maybe 1/2 to 1 gal more in after the pump stops. Honestly, I thought I had a 25 gallong tank on my truck until I harpooned it. Now I can pump 29 gal. before the pump stops(on an almost empty tank of course).

I tried searching the threads. What is/what all is involved in harpooning a tank?

·
Hoosier daddy!
1,700 Posts
Basically you drop you fuel tank, remove the sending unit, reach inside with a pair of PVC pipe cutters and cut the fill tube and return tube as close to the top of the tank as possible. I can post pictures when I get home, or you can go HERE and see a write up on the procedure...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts