Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my truck 4 months ago, only thing done to this truck at this time is it has a straight piped exhaust. Went on my first long trip with the truck today, 400 miles today, filled truck up before i got on the highway and right after i got off of the highway, stayed at about 65-72 mph depending on traffic patterns. Found that my mpg ended up being 22 mpg, sounds good to me. However i wanted to know what are mayor upgrades i can do to get better mpg? I have a tool box in the bed and it is an 8ft bed, was thinking about a 6.5ft tonneau cover to cover the rest of the bed, but i doubt that would help me much? Any ideas? Realistically what will an SCT give me on economy mode?

I also wanted to make sure that 22mpg is good, what are some other people getting out there and what kind of mods have you done?

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
22 mpg is very good! The best I've ever gotten was just a bit over 18, keeping it on cruise, at 65mph. I hope that was figured with pencil and paper, and not that little computer in the overhead. :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct, well cell phone calculator but all the same, the funny thing is the truck does not have cruise control haha so this is all me. :)

Any ideas what i can do to drastically improve my mpg even more?

·
Diffrent Strokes
350 Posts
Correct, well cell phone calculator but all the same, the funny thing is the truck does not have cruise control haha so this is all me. :)

Any ideas what i can do to drastically improve my mpg even more?
Chop the cab 10" to reduce wind drag! No, seriously! 22 MPGs is pretty darn good for that rig! Mine gets 11 city, 13 hwy!

·
1,084 Posts
Yeah, a tonneau will help.

In my experience, two things work: gearing and aerodynamics. Everything else is a waste of money and time.

Most diesel pickups are wildly over-geared.

A pickup is aerodynamically somewhere between a brick and an Amish barn. Big gains can be made here. Work on bed aerodynamics first.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now personally here is my thought, not necessary gear ratio but a 7th gear would be perfect, i know there is an add on that you can buy to have a high and low gear for each one, anyone tried this? Just imagine 70mph not at 2000 rpm but rather at 1200rpm

·
Registered
571 Posts
The Gear vendors might help, but you can only get so good, i ran the banks six gun and gain 1 mpg, would get 12.1 running from iowa to colorado and after the chip got 13.3, i run 85 90 with 35s, made that run many times stock and chiped. The gear vendors would be good if you tow alot or heavy, but if you don't tow heavy i would change the gears to a 3.55. or 3.33 but you want to keep the rpms around 1700 for best mileage.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Now personally here is my thought, not necessary gear ratio but a 7th gear would be perfect, i know there is an add on that you can buy to have a high and low gear for each one, anyone tried this? Just imagine 70mph not at 2000 rpm but rather at 1200rpm

I'm pretty sure Dave Whitmer has a GV (Gear Vendors Overdrive) At least I think I remember reading that he was putting one in..

·
Registered
956 Posts
lol read a few articles on gear vendor was all jacked up and called was going to order one got to the price and BAM! $3500 almost laughed at the guy on the phone said thanks and hung up

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is ridiculous, so my question is then why would ford not just put in a 7th gear, there is 1 more spot free on the shift tree where they could have put in, right underneath overdrive gear.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I don't think its as easy as that, if so they wouldn't have built the new trany for the 6.7. But if it can be done someone will do it soon.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im sure it can be done, if semi trucks can have 18 gears there is no reason a ford cannot have 7 gears.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Very true, all the new tranys are 6 speeds, wish i could put one in my 06. whats your mileage around town?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mileage in town is 16-17, i think i will put the tonneau cover on though, it can only help haha. Would a SCT Economy tune get me any more? I know that water/meth injection would bring it up, but is it worth the extra expense of the liquid needing to be injected?

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Very true, all the new tranys are 6 speeds, wish i could put one in my 06. whats your mileage around town?
You know that extra gear is in the middle not at the end like a second OD. Reason RPMs are lower on the newer trucks is most of them have 3.55 or even 3.23? gears.

Mileage in town is 16-17, i think i will put the tonneau cover on though, it can only help haha. Would a SCT Economy tune get me any more? I know that water/meth injection would bring it up, but is it worth the extra expense of the liquid needing to be injected?
Good SCT tune might help you out, but Powerstrokes can be weird animals when it comes to mpg & tuning. You have to stop & think about the fact that your throwing an 8000lb 16ft long brick down the road & still getting 22mpg. There are people with ext cab short beds that can't do better then 18mpg on flat ground.
& just say no to meth.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would add cruise control.

·
"Miss me yet" George Bush
317 Posts
That's what big tires are for!

·
Registered
571 Posts
allison 6 seed
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th* R
3.10 1.81 1.41 1.00 0.71 0.61 4.49

allison 5 seed
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th* R
3.10 1.81 1.41 1.00 0.71 4.49

ford 5r110
(1) 3.11:1