Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this same thing just about everywhere. As well as had my van in a couple of high end diesel shops that just don’t know where to go either.

My 1998 E350 7.3 is a beautiful pristine condition Van. It got roughly 18.5-19 mpg driving 70-75 mph on the highway. All day, everyday. For me and for the original owner I bought it from. It’s a camper van and all it does basically highway drive.

I’m super meticulous about hand tracking my mpg. Randomly about 8 months ago I noticed the fuel gauge start to drop from full only a few miles after fill up. Normally it won’t move until atleast 50-70 miles. Sure enough I get about 15.5 mpg. And that’s where I’m at. It won’t change. Just happened “overnight”.

No it’s not winter fuel. Cleaning the EBP tube has to be a myth. No it’s not a 5 inch lift with 37s that I forgot to mention, and no 15-16 mpg is not “good for a 7.3 van”. Atleast not mine.

Ive heard IPR, ICP and all sorts of other things. Any ideas?
Please help me I’m losing my mind.

·
Registered
1997 F-350 CCLB 7.Tree
200 Posts
I have posted this same thing just about everywhere. As well as had my van in a couple of high end diesel shops that just don’t know where to go either.

My 1998 E350 7.3 is a beautiful pristine condition Van. It got roughly 18.5-19 mpg driving 70-75 mph on the highway. All day, everyday. For me and for the original owner I bought it from. It’s a camper van and all it does basically highway drive.

I’m super meticulous about hand tracking my mpg. Randomly about 8 months ago I noticed the fuel gauge start to drop from full only a few miles after fill up. Normally it won’t move until atleast 50-70 miles. Sure enough I get about 15.5 mpg. And that’s where I’m at. It won’t change. Just happened “overnight”.

No it’s not winter fuel. Cleaning the EBP tube has to be a myth. No it’s not a 5 inch lift with 37s that I forgot to mention, and no 15-16 mpg is not “good for a 7.3 van”. Atleast not mine.

Ive heard IPR, ICP and all sorts of other things. Any ideas?
Please help me I’m losing my mind.
You can rebuild/clean the IPR, I would also look at your up pipes for leaks, as well as any other boost leaks. I don't know if you have change injectors or if there original but clogged injector nozzles can cause this as well. Another thing could be a switch in diesel, ultra low sulfar ect... I would get an IPR rebuild kit, clean and rebuild it. I would also get your injectors checked and rebuilt if they are the original injectors. Most guys on the forums go through Rosewood Diesel.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
How are the brakes? Brake drag can take a toll on the fuel mileage. Being a van I'm assuming you have an automatic transmission. How is the health of the transmission? Is it locking up in OD? No lockup would also cause poor mileage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts