Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello y'all, I'm just looking to see if any of y'all who have went from a standard bed to a flat bed noticed any mpg changes for the worse or better? My truck is a 2000 supercab shorty, but I'm in need of a bed mines falling apart due to rust. Anyway I am thinking about building a flat bed for it. It won't be huge or heavy. It won't stick out past the cab on the sides or top but mabey an inch. It will only out wiegh the stock bed by about 200 pounds if that. But with that changing the aerodynamics of the truck I figured it would either hurt it or help it just not sure which one. A flatbed would defiantly be more useful to me and I love tabbing stuff up so that's why I'm contemplating this. It's gonna be about 700 dollars worth of materials vs about 2500 ish for a decent bed and paint to match.

But anyone who did this conversion let me know if your mileage went down,

Btw I get over 18 mpg with the stock bed with a cover on it... I just don't want to completely destroy my fuel mileage and end up getting 15 mpg because I ruinined the aerodynamics!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I built a flat bed for mine last summer due to the same issue and i get around 20mpg in the summer. I would say i gained a mile or two

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
This doesn't answer your question but I read on here last year that putting a flat bed on can lower your insurance rate on the truck because it's harder to damage. Just something else to look into and think about.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip! Ill talk to the insurance man for sure if I do it! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any one got a picture of a shortbed supercab with a flatbed? I think it would look decent?

·
Registered
217 Posts
When I put a flatbed on my 95' OBS I didn't notice a difference at all.. Maybe 1-2 mpg, but nothing noticeable. It's a pro-line flatbed as well.

·
Administrator
32,930 Posts
they say the aerodynamic down fall on a pickup is the back of the cab and this is why the tailgate down theory to increase MPG was busted

I say the flatbed will weigh more and may like mentioned add drag due to no bedsides

so I would say less MPG if even noticeable at all

·
Registered
47 Posts
Supposedly there is increased aerodynamics with the tailgate up due to a large vortex being made.. I have read that the side mirrors are the biggest culprit for decreased aerodynamics through a substantial increase in drag.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Supposedly there is increased aerodynamics with the tailgate up due to a large vortex being made.. I have read that the side mirrors are the biggest culprit for decreased aerodynamics through a substantial increase in drag.
Another reason Cummins guys complain about horrible MPG's
The way I see it, its their own fault for always keeping their tow mirrors out. LOL
Anyways back on track, having a tailgate helps as mentioned above.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another reason Cummins guys complain about horrible MPG's
The way I see it, its their own fault for always keeping their tow mirrors out.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LOL Those ghost trailers really kill fuel economy. LOL

In all reality jaybuller, $700 to build a farm bed + a solid economy tune = less than the cost of new stock bed painted, and with a bed liner, etc..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts