Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, my name is Thaddeus and I am pleased to meet you all.

In short I will be purchasing a 99-02 F250 crew cab 7.3L in the near future as my brother has a 99 and I love it.

So I joined this forum to ask you pro's for recommendations for the best possible fuel economy.

I am a calm non-aggresive driver who sticks to cruise control and 68mph. I commute 124 miles a day. I run good tires (summers or winters NO all-seasons) change my oils and filters regularly and take good care of my vehicles.

However considering the 7.3L and going from a car to a truck I know Ill be buying a bit more fuel, hopefully not to much if I can help it which is why I am here.

So I am smart enough to consider aerodynamics, so a smooth bed-cap and no external extras. Plus as I said good tires and filters

But I would like to know if their are some really good solid starting places to consider like injectors, modules, turbos, transmissions running gears, aerodynamics on top and/or under... etc. etc. to turn one of these trucks into a smooth running fuel efficient piece of equipment.

My intended purpose is to purchase one, invest in it and make it a long term commuter as I have seen a few of these engines go 1 million miles.

I am very curious to what you pro's and experienced owners have done for fuel efficiency

Thanks for reading this
Thaddeus

·
Administrator
8,341 Posts
welcome to the forums.
62 miles one way on mostly highways, cruise set and no aggressive driving should see you in the high teens.

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
@Dave Whitmer check this guys thread out. He has done tons of testing. His truck can get up to 28 mpg

·
1,097 Posts
Thaddeus:

Sorry about not getting back sooner, but I had to replace my left knee and re-hab is a politician.

If you read my stickies I did get 28 MPG with a homemade "fastback" cap. It looked a lot like a 1964 NASCAR Ford Galaxie. Can you say Fred Lorenzen?

With a flat tonneau I could see around MPG dropped to 26 MPG.

124 miles per day is about right for a high MPG project. My 7.3 has been bulletproof other than the camshaft position sensor. 345,000 miles. On MPG tests I drive the posted limit. That's a consistent number.

My aero package is hardly optimized. You wanna see an aero package? Go to www.ecomodder.com and look for posts by a guy calling himself "aerohead." He is the guru of pickup aerodynamics. He has studied motor vehicle aero work back to the 1920s. He has a Toyota pickup powered by three starving squirrels and he runs it at Bonneville. Bonneville! I've lost track of his MPG but he does nothing mechanical at all.

My truck is almost all mechanical mods. I do run 3.08 gears (I don't think they are available anymore ulness you know somebody who can custom hob hypoid gears.) In addition I use an electric Gear Vendor 20% overdrive. OEM-sized rubber. Larger or smaller - both decrease MPG. The Ford engineers knew their stuff. Using the GV as a seventh gear I run down the Interstate (70 MPH) at 1325 RPM. the 7.3 has plenty of torque to handle that. 1050 RPM @ 55 RPM. Right on the edge of a lug - the most efficient part of the torque vs RPM map.

Other than the fact I electrically disabled the EBPV for winter ops, my engine is pretty much stock but with a Swamp Donkey MPG tune.

If I ever hit the lottery I'd take the truck to Swamp Donkey and see if they try their common rail 7.3 conversion and go all out for MPG rather than racing HP. In my view the 7.3 has the best long block in the business but is held back by the obsolete HEUI injection.

I hope I can get my knee re-habbed soon. I like my P71 Crown Vic but it ain't a F350.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts