Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post on the forum but I've been hanging around and doing a lot of reading for a while. In fact I never post anything because I find my answers by searching. Reason for this post is I've done a bit of searching on emissions controls in IL most of the posts are 2 years+. I would assume that's because nothing's changed, but I'd rather not move there and then have to bite off a large chunk of change altering some aftermarket mods on my truck because I assumed. County info may matter, I think it's Dupage if not then Cook. Haven't completely decided, it's up to my boss(wife).

This is the info off of the FAQ's on the Illinois EPA website. :blah:

Q. Why doesn't this program test diesel powered vehicles?
A. The federal Clean Air Act does not require the inclusion of diesel-powered vehicles in emissions testing programs. However, the State of Illinois has implemented a program to inspect certain heavy-duty diesel powered trucks over 16,000 lbs in ozone non-attainment areas. This program is administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Q. Does this program test heavy-duty vehicles?
A.Vehicle Emissions testing is required on all 2007 or newer model year heavy duty vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) between 8,501 and 14,000.

I have an 05 Excursion 6.0L. From the FAQ's I know that my vehicle does not undergo an emission test.

Will it have to undergo a visual inspection? I would be moving from out of state, I'm not sure if that changes anything. EGR is intact, for now LOL , but Cat is removed and I have MBRP turbo back exhaust. I also have an edge insight installed on the dash that I use for gauges only.

Looks like I'll be pretty close to Heavy Metal performance, anyone use them before? I do work on my own truck but I'll be missing garage space and will have tools in storage for a while. :blah: Unless there's a hobby shop at the Naval Base in Great Lakes. Anyone use that before if there is one?

Thanks for any info and feedback.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No emissions testing in Illinois. Not sure about commercial vehicles, but have never had any of my vehicles tested.

·
Registered
259 Posts
No testing in Illinois. February of this year I registered my truck in Illinois and never left Michigan. I transferred my D plates (wt class/8,000+) to a different truck. I had D plates so they wouldn't try pulling the lift laws on me. Probably should go back to the B (8,000 or less) since I don't have a lift. Anyway, both were a different wt/class and I didn't have to get emissions testing on either truck.

I've been to Great Lakes Naval Base a few times for medical (Marine here) and they don't check anything at the base either, just the usual military ID, drivers license, registration, proof of insurance. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Good info. I don't have a lift so that won't be an issue yet, who knows what I'll do in the future. Thanks for the heads up on Cook. I'll look into it more. My wife's family is in DuPage and Illinois probably has some of the better benefits to being a disabled vet. So that's why we would be heading in that direction.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Good info. I don't have a lift so that won't be an issue yet, who knows what I'll do in the future. Thanks for the heads up on Cook. I'll look into it more. My wife's family is in DuPage and Illinois probably has some of the better benefits to being a disabled vet. So that's why we would be heading in that direction.
I never had an issue with my lifted trucks anyway. I just upped the weight just in case. From what I hear out of all 50 states Illinois is number 1 in benefits for veterans.

·
There can be only one
417 Posts
Can't have B plates on a SD in IL. The DMV may let you do it but they told me that the cops can pull you over if they're not D plates. I wanted to transfer my Route 66 plates but they gave me a ton of grief.

·
Bird is the Word
1,142 Posts
Can't have B plates on a SD in IL. The DMV may let you do it but they told me that the cops can pull you over if they're not D plates. I wanted to transfer my Route 66 plates but they gave me a ton of grief.
i've been running B plates on my 3/4 ton ex cab. lb for going on 6 years. been pulled over multiple times, never had an issue with plates. But i'm almost 150 miles south of Crook county. well, southern illinois according to anyone in that area:doh:

·
7.3 fan
271 Posts
I'm running "b" plates on an excursion, a F350 srw, and a Dually only time you'll have a prob. is if your hauling commercial and stop at a weigh station.

·
There can be only one
417 Posts
I'm running "b" plates on an excursion, a F350 srw, and a Dually only time you'll have a prob. is if your hauling commercial and stop at a weigh station.
I bought mine from the dealership and they refused to let me transfer my Route 66 plates stating that it had to be D plates.

I then went to the DMV and they told me they would put the plates on the truck but that it was illegal and that I could get pulled over and ticketed. Apparently here in Central IL they're much more strict about it.

Either way I left it alone since I didn't want to argue with them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
B plates are just fine for SD's. You can not be ticketed for overweight on registration without being weighed on a scale.

If you do go to the D plates or heavier you will need to get a safety test every six months.

Truck cops (the majority) will not bother with a SD unless it's grossly overloaded.

DJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All settled here in the west burbs, Dupage county. Picked up an EGR delete kit and am having a nightmare of a time getting the bolts off the stock up pipe by the Y pipe. I've seriously been PB blasting this thing for 2 days, even lit up the benzomatic to heat it up. I was hoping to be done by last night in the 40* weather.

Any tips or anyone in the area have any ideas? I'm limited on tools and funds here, I should have brought it to the hobby shop at Great Lakes to be honest. Next job I'll be doing that. My next move I think is to try and get my hands on a cutoff wheel. The kit I ordered came with new bolts for the up pipe.

Thanks!

·
biostroke1
217 Posts
Why on earth would anyone want to move here (illinios)? lol, I live in kankakee county and we have no emissions testing here in this county...yet. Welcome to the most broke [email protected]^ state in the union ;]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wife's family bro..... Not my choice. Got medically retired from the military. But honestly what state isn't broke or screwed up these days. New Hampshire, but the boss shot it down. Anyway I ned help with an EGR not my decision to move here. Any good input?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I put my wife in my old flight suit and put a blanket over the engine and gave her a 10mm socket, haha. All I needed was an extra hand. Nothing better than a woman who will get her hands dirty when needed! Cheers!

·
biostroke1
217 Posts
Thats cool. I'm married too. Lol. If I can remember correctly, when I had my 6.0, my buddy that did my egr delete used a torch to heat up those bolts. Good luck.

·
Bird is the Word
1,142 Posts
well i have an interview up in Princeton IL ( im from ridge farm. about 140 miles south of chicago) in the next week. pretty good chance i'll be up in that area if all goes right. so i might be getting ahold of you when i move up there

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
if you have an EX, you can run a regular passenger plate
Technically that is not true. If you read the law a passenger plate is only good to 8000# The B plate is also only good to 8000#. The Ex has a 9200# GVWR. If you come across the wrong State Representative it is a 1200# overweight ticket.
Also by law you are required to have safety sticker. Once again a requirement by the state for any vehicle over 8000# GVWR
Ask my how i know this. :eek: I have been to court on this. I was able to get the tickets dropped and i am still running a B plate. I DO keep a safety sticker on my Ex as the law has now changed and a missing or expired safety sticker is a class C Misdemeanor and can cost you a tow and impound.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts