Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! Well, I'm up for an extreme climate change and we're moving to AK!

I'm planning block heaters, engine and trans pan heaters for both vehicles.

I'm also planning a transferflow toolbox/aux tank set-up and a CB with some power for those long highways without cell coverage.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
570 Posts
What part? Southern alaska you don't need trans pan heater. Definatly build a good emergency kit, blankets, food water, spare parts, radio, flares, anthing and everything.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fairbanks. I was going to use the toolbox part of the tank/toolbox combo I want to store the emergency kit.

I heard from a friend from there today to put trickle-chargers in the vehicles instead of battery heaters. I guess there's been a few car fires and toasted batteries from them.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I spent the night doing lots of research and have it about narrowed down to what I'm going to order.

I've got a block heater cord for mine, a block heater for the wife's, oil pan and trans pan heaters for both, and onboard battery tenders for both.

I was thinking about cutting the male plug ends off all those, soldering some ring terminals on, and installing them on a 3-prong terminal box so I can have just one cord running out of the vehicles. Is there any reason why that would be a bad idea? Just curious as I've never ran that sort of equipment before...

Thanks!

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
When you get up here just visit Napa, they have 4-way boxes and 3-way cords already set up for winterization.

For diesels, you will need at least 125 watts total for your oil pan heater(s), 75 for your trans, and a functioning block heater.

Dont mess with the battery heater/ blankets, they are all garbage. I dont run any type of warmer or charger for my batterys and have no issues. In fact the local battery guys wont warranty a battery if you have them.

You will need to switch to a synthetic motor oil, expensive, but worth every penny when the needle drops to -60.LOL

Drop me a line when you get up here if you want to check out my setup. I am in North Pole, about 15 miles from Fairbanks.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had planned to order the stuff and have it for the trip up, we'll be driving in the colder months. I'll shoot you a pm when we get there!

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Cool, have a safe trip and pack plenty of fuel for the trip though Canada. Fuel stations are few and far between, usually closed, and a lil scary.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm ordering a 40gal aux tank for my truck and carrying an extra 20gal gas for my wife's!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts