Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the guys at my local shop mount the blue and yellow Bilstein 4600 HDs on my new to me 2002 4x4. They followed the decals, mounting them so the 'Bilstein' was right side up - only problem is the dust covers are now on the bottom, rather than on the top, as I understand must be the case. It doesn't make sense to me, despite the logos/decals, that the dust covers be on the bottom, catching dust. On my 2000 2wd, I had Bilsteins mounted and the logos and dust covers are consistent. I'm about to take the truck back to have them remounted. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking the label-sticker at Bilstein USA had a hangover that shift ....

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Which way did the old shocks face? It varies with year, axle and location, IIRC. On our OBS 4x4s (going from memory....) they're bellows-down in front, bellows-up in rear.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I believe the rods (and Bellows) need to be down on Bilstein shocks. Front and rear.

The shock boxes had instructions in them.

·
diesel fiend
338 Posts
I called bilstein once about this and they said there shocks are universal mount up or down is your preference .

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
I had the 5100's and was told by them the belows had to be up for my application even though the mounts were the same at both ends

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
I still say it's application dependant
otherwise bilstein would be upside down on this one and like I stated they told me to mount mine bellows up for my last truck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zmann, that picture, and the ones on the Bilstein site of the blue and yellow 4600 shock, is what first convinced me I might be wrong on which end the cover/bellows covered. I'm now convinced the logo-sticker was right, and the bellows go on the bottom

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
I agree if the sticker would be upside down then it would be wrong
I now My old truck the bellows were confirmed to be up

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Bilsteins...always mounted with the name right side up..boot orientation doesn't matter

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As with my 2000 2wd PSD, the Bilsteins made a tremendous difference in ride quality over the OEM shocks [which were due to be replaced, anyway, based on age/mileage ....]. Note that the 5100 pictures from Bilstein show 'bellows on top' for that shock, used with lifted trucks. On the blue and yellow 4600s, it was 'bellows on top' for 2wds, and 'bellows on bottom' for the 4x4 version - but the logo was upright on both ......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts